Looking for a job in Tunis. Anyone can help ?

Lea

It was quite a few years ago and maybe it was just an excuse from her side as to why she did not get the job!!! ;-)
Haha ...yes, quite possibly!! lol

MellieC

Hi,

No- definately not the case (I work there and don't speak a word of French or Arabic!) You need to be a native/near native English speaker, have the CELTA or Certified Trinity cert (only these two are recognised by the British Council) plus min 2 years post qualification experience...

Ania- I'm sure there are numerous threads about this but it can be quite difficult finding work in Tunisia- (..sorry to say) as priority must be given to Tunisians. You're best bet is to try and find work for an off-shore company- perhaps a Polish company operating over here? as you'll then be 'placed' in Tunisia and be able to get a work permit that way. Or there's the tourism route...

Hope that you're able to find something soon :)
hi hun,
Yes, thats in teaching at the british council? or working for the british council, the tourism route starts in the country of origin in the main part,
thats why i said about fluent french ~ for working in the main, in tunisia its a must, i didn't even bother to say about tunisians having priority, because its a moot point, the best bet is as you say a polish company with some base in tunisia? even then they may want someone who can communicate with others in at least french

Lea

hi hun,
Yes, thats in teaching at the british council? or working for the british council, the tourism route starts in the country of origin in the main part,
thats why i said about fluent french ~ for working in the main, in tunisia its a must, i didn't even bother to say about tunisians having priority, because its a moot point, the best bet is as you say a polish company with some base in tunisia? even then they may want someone who can communicate with others in at least french
Hi Mel,

Yeah, in terms of working/teaching at the british council it's the same (as long as you're not locally appointed i.e tunisian!) then you're contract will be via London (so no French or Arabic required)
Totally agree with you about the tourism route - I think knowledge of a few languages would be required here (and yes, certainly French!) ...let's hope Ania doesn't feel too disheartened when she comes back! :rolleyes:
..I think contacting any Polish companies would be a good start :)

MellieC

Hi Mel,

Yeah, in terms of working/teaching at the british council it's the same (as long as you're not locally appointed i.e tunisian!) then you're contract will be via London (so no French or Arabic required)
Totally agree with you about the tourism route - I think knowledge of a few languages would be required here (and yes, certainly French!) ...let's hope Ania doesn't feel too disheartened when she comes back! :rolleyes:
..I think contacting any Polish companies would be a good start :)
thats why i was a bit vague in my original post ~ because to actually go to tunisia, and look for a job, its not going to happen, it has to have an element of origin in another country.

it is disheartening, for anyone, but its the way it is in Tunisia, and as you say there are some opportunities, but they are specific.

working in the hotels or cafes are not one of them (the brit bars being an exception lol)

L

Lissy

It is very disheartening even for some Tunisians wanting a job at the moment, let alone a foreigner. The oppotunities are really few and far between.

dicequeen74

yes my sister in law has been the home for 5 yrs now with no work anywhere its very difficult x

ania

Hey guys, I haven't been here for awhile cause I was pretty busy lately, thanks for all ur responses, if it comes to teaching, I'm not really into it, also I don't have any certificate. Also, was looking for a polish company based in Tunis, but I couldn't find anything ;-/ I know it's very hard to find a job over there, but I'm looking for like 2 years and nothing ;-/

some time ago, I was thinking about a job in tourism, already finnished a tour guide course in polish travel agency but didn't get the license, which is very hard to get in Poland. I mean exams for the license are very difficult ( architecture, history, polish tourism law etc.) and it's a must to have a license if I want to get a job with a polish travel agency. But I wanted to work in Monastir at that time. Not like now, in Tunis. and we know that most of travel agencies are based in Sousse, Monastir or Hammamet...so I'm just losing hope ;-/ I don't have any ideas...

Maybe some of u have a job in a company which is looking for someone at this time ? would appreciate ur help ;-)

and thanks again for ur posts

Hbrown1

Banned
Helloooo Everyone,

I am sooooo excited my Sofiane got a job today, he is working at a Lodge.

Mainly his duties are in the kitchen and in summer months looking after the land surrounding the Lodge.

He is sooo happy, bless him.

Helen x x x x

Essem

Staff member
Great news Helen - I'm sure he'll do well. x

marhaba

ill be in tunisia november 29th, for 6 weeks
I was wondering would i be able to get a temporary job to keep me busy while my other half if in work throughout the day?

is it easy or is it hard ? x

Hbrown1

Banned
Great news Helen - I'm sure he'll do well. x
Hi Essem,

Thank you sooo much, he is like the cat that's got the cream just now.

The lodge is way out in the highlands and he loves it.

Take care
Helen x x

Essem

Staff member
Have you told him about haggis hunting yet?

Hbrown1

Banned
lol yeah I said they have 3 legs and all legs are a different size.

He said to me today I don't see nothing like this honey, I crack up laughing then.

We were out at loch ness the other day, I told him all about the loch ness monster.

Today he said I think you joke with me honey lol, Essem he is so happy.

He loves Scotland and even getting use to all the rain.

Helen x x

MellieC

HARD!

much would depend on what you were thinking of, what languages you speak etc.
foreigners can't do a job a tunisian could do.

are you looking for income or voluntary? just a thought ~ that maybe a local primary school ~ helping out ~ might be possible? be nice for the kids?

jacqui0414

Hi Helen,

That is great news :)

xx

Essem

Staff member
lol yeah I said they have 3 legs and all legs are a different size.

He said to me today I don't see nothing like this honey, I crack up laughing then.

We were out at loch ness the other day, I told him all about the loch ness monster.

Today he said I think you joke with me honey lol, Essem he is so happy.

He loves Scotland and even getting use to all the rain.

Helen x x
Helen if you're happy together, it doesn't matter where you live. x

marhaba

HARD!

much would depend on what you were thinking of, what languages you speak etc.
foreigners can't do a job a tunisian could do.

are you looking for income or voluntary? just a thought ~ that maybe a local primary school ~ helping out ~ might be possible? be nice for the kids?
hi mellie i hope you are well.

i speak arabic french english welsh german spanish portugese and some korean.

income work would be very nice. I dont really like kids lol.
i do but since my lil sis was born i dont like to be around alot of them. Lol

what do you think i could do?

ania

hmm I thought my post was about something else...so I guess it's time to get out of here

MellieC

hmm I thought my post was about something else...so I guess it's time to get out of here

No hun, your post was about working in tunisia, and just about all the help that we could offer you was given, its not an easy task, but do have a look on other parts of the forum, the business section ~ laguages~ finding work in Tunisia is very hard even for tunisians!

good luck with your search

ania

thx Mellie