Looking for Employment

lola

Hi my husband has been in the UK for 4 weeks now and he has strated to look for work. It's very difficult as there is not much around at the moment. I am trying to put a CV together for him however I don't know how to make it stand out as he has no schooling or previous work here in the UK. Any advice anyone? Thanks

Jane BM

Set your standards quite low is the best bit of advise. They aren't going to go into work that are particularly well paid to start with, but once they're in the door hopefully their work ethic will show and they'll soon climb up the ladder.

Pretty much the same when my husband first came, it also took him about 3 months to find permanent work and it was just kitchen work....however within a few months he was promoted several times. Good luck. Xx

lola

Thank you, I though we could just do a CV and send it off to various hotels, shops, employment agencies etc and just hope something comes back. I don't think he minds what he does but he really needs to get out the house more and get into a routine. It's also important he earns some of his own money for his own self worth.

Mezoo

VIP Member
Pretty much the same when my husband first came, it also took him about 3 months to find permanent work and it was just kitchen work....however within a few months he was promoted several times. Good luck. Xx
and really the same way anyone just out of school starts, at the bottom and shoot for the top!!!

Mezoo

VIP Member
Thank you, I though we could just do a CV and send it off to various hotels, shops, employment agencies etc and just hope something comes back. I don't think he minds what he does but he really needs to get out the house more and get into a routine. It's also important he earns some of his own money for his own self worth.
don't be afraid of going door to door. it still works!

Jane BM

Jane BM

A lot of the big businesses and hotels/restaurants Etc now have online recruitment if you go onto their websites, you can generally fill applicstions on there. Just randomly pick some places within your locality and go on their sites, nearly always a recruitment section. X

DARK ANGEL

why he don't try charity job , he can have a reference in the uk , i guess is will be much helpful

kaled

Hii evry body i have been in london for more then 2 months now and i applied for many jobs online i went to aagency..but all of them asck fo experience or 2 reference from uk..i dont know haw this could be,so if any have been in this sitiation before pls tel me.......think u

DARK ANGEL

Hii evry body i have been in london for more then 2 months now and i applied for many jobs online i went to aagency..but all of them asck fo experience or 2 reference from uk..i dont know haw this could be,so if any have been in this sitiation before pls tel me.......think u
hi khaled i am not an expert lolbut from what i know u need reference, the keyis to ask people to trust u , what was ur job in Tunisia ? for reference in the uk try to do some charity job , hope this link help u http://www.charityjob.co.uk/

kaled

In tunisia i own a gym and i do bodybuilding,i will tray the charity job as u said it seems to be the only solution for now......thinks a lot dark Angel

DARK ANGEL

In tunisia i one a gym and i do bodybuilding,i will tray the charity job as u said it seems to be the only solution for now......thinks a lot dark Angel
you welcome Khaled , u need to be patient , i am pretty sure with patience and bit of luck nchallah u will find a good job ,stay optimist :) good luck

Aslemma

The charity route is an excellent idea as it could give you a much needed reference. As you owned a gym in Tunisia, have you approached local sports centres which are often in need of experienced staff? You would obviously have to get Criminal Record clearance for this as you could be dealing with children and young people but this shouldn't be an unsurmountable problem as they could presumably liaise with the police in Tunisia.

Last edited:

kaled

Hii aslemma me too i think that the charity job is the best for the moment soo i can get reference ...for the sport job,thiey need a deploma from uk..i was thinking also to do security cours ..i dont no im a littel confused but i believe it will b good its just the start..

DARK ANGEL

so let's start khaled :) what about ur wife?maybe she can give u a push lol , she can rely on her relations (friends)

Jellycat

My hubby did the security course (SiA door supervisor) course (about £140)and then then £200 plus to get the license. At first he had no joy getting jobs because he had not been in the Uk 5 years and many firms want 5 years check able work history and they have an issue with checking outside the Eu it seems. In the end we just changed a couple of dates and said he had been Here longer than he had. Obviously they check visa but as he now has ILR he got some work. It's not easy and you just have to keep trying. The smaller companies, restaurants etc probably less rigid than big companies which have inflexible recruitment procedures.

I think on your cv you have to exaggerate your experience.

Joanne Louhaichi

My husband started off with an agency just packing in a warehouse, he now does forklift driving but he was in the same situation

kaled

Hii jellycat wat about the security he had a job with siA?

Nej

Hi khaled,

When i come from Tunisia a couple of years ago i wanted to work/study so i started off with charity work to get references and then studied to be an interpreter(Arabic interpreting)it is something you can look into if you are interested in languages.

Good luck

Jellycat

Hii jellycat wat about the security he had a job with siA?
He's working through an agency now. he had to be a bit creative with the references/experience. It's part time evening night work which suits him at the moment