Male circumcision

NetNiet

A little off the point I know but a bit relevant - my male friend is marrying a tunisian woman and thought he would have to be circumcised - after talking to an islamic priest (don't know correct name) he has been told it's preferable to be circumcised but not obligatory hence he's decided against it - so he will be an uncircumcised Muslim.
Out of interest, if another political party gets into government in Tunisia who say that females must be circumcised - how many british women (or for that matter, Tunisian men) would agree to this procedure for their daughters?
I'm sorry but how can you even think that political decisions will be made about circumcision???
And second female circumcision is something totally different than for a male.

NetNiet

Exactly how it should be Lainie. Just because you have compromised it doesnt mean you are a push over. I would like someone to ask Mr B if im a push over and they would only have to see the look in his face to know the answer :D.
I'm pretty sure I know that look....but than at my husbands face! LOL

NetNiet

Freya

I'm sorry but how can you even think that political decisions will be made about circumcision???
And second female circumcision is something totally different than for a male.
If a Muslim government can bring in Sharia Law and prevent women from working or even leaving the house without a male relative then it's not inconceviable that some ridiculous dictator can say that female circumcision is law......

Furthermore, female circumcision (FGM) is still muslim tradition in many countries in the world - which tells us that we should question everything and not just do things because its is always been this way.

NetNiet

If a Muslim government can bring in Sharia Law and prevent women from working or even leaving the house without a male relative then it's not inconceviable that some ridiculous dictator can say that female circumcision is law......
Hi Freya, circumcision is because of the Muslim religion, not of political reasons.
Sharia Law and prevent women from working or even leave the house will never happen here in Tunisia by a government.
And allthough my translator is not helping with inconceviable to translate, I think it doesn;t matter that I don;t understand because there will never be a dictator again here in Tunisia!

Freya

Hi Freya, circumcision is because of the Muslim religion, not of political reasons.
Sharia Law and prevent women from working or even leave the house will never happen here in Tunisia by a government.
And allthough my translator is not helping with inconceviable to translate, I think it doesn;t matter that I don;t understand because there will never be a dictator again here in Tunisia!
Sorry I spelt it wrong - inconceivable.
I think some people in Tunisia are not as confident as you are about the future of Tunisia - there will always be some fundamentalist party in the wings trying to gain popularity and votes......

NetNiet

Sorry I spelt it wrong - inconceivable.
I think some people in Tunisia are not as confident as you are about the future of Tunisia - there will always be some fundamentalist party in the wings trying to gain popularity and votes......
I think it are mostly not people who live in Tunisa who are talking like that ;)
I don't know if it's their fear or that they don;t follow the news which is offcourse logical, because most people follow the news more from the country where they are living and / or where they are coming from.

lynn

I'm not sure if I have to laugh about what you did write or feel sorry for you.
where did this big CHIP come from, maybe I hit the nail on the head :)

NetNiet

where did this big CHIP come from, maybe I hit the nail on the head :)
I don't know what you want to say with CHIP.
And to take the risc to have the same discussion with you as before.....I hope I can say what I did mean with that without going there again, but just to explain that I was refering to that.
The way you say it I don't see a middle way in what you're doing (like the other time)
And than you're saying here that you're a woman who stand up and that your husband will not get his way just because he's Muslim and blaming other woman not doing the same as you ......it's too me very short sighted view from you to make that kind of conclusions.
I think that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but you seem allways to have a problem when other persons don't have your opinion....including your husband because you come with many excamples about that and that it has to be done your way;)

And than on top of that, I can't help it but I hope that you realise that I can't deny the fact that I was dragged into your relationship here with you and your husband and I assume that was only the top of the iceberg.
And offcourse that did give me an impression about your relationship and let's say it this way, if you give me 1 million euro, I don't want to change with you or your husband and having a relation like that with neither one of you.
Maybe my impression is wrong in your eyes, but again I think that I'm entitled to have an opinion aswell when something is open and out here while I'm also realising that there is more behind, but the part what I did see, made me thankfull not to know the rest.

So to read here from you that post where you're implying that you're a role model how women married to Tunisian husbands, should do it.......well that really made me laugh out loud.
But than I was thinking that you really are serious.......and that made me feel sorry for you.

lynn

For a start I know a lot of women that do not stand upto their men...and I also know a lot of women that do... I was not referring to anyone in particular.
I just think that because a person is Muslim does not mean it's my way or the highway... lets face it Muslim men can be very demanding when wanting their own way...and sorry but no man demands or tells me what to do...
Feel sorry for me? well you need not do that as I am quite happy with my life and has for being 'dragged' into my relationship ..no one asked you to say anything...you just felt free to get involved and I kept out of what my husband was saying, so why are you bringing that on this thread? I am far from saying that I am a role model, the thing with you is you don't like anything that I say but fortunately for me I do have a say like anyone else, like it or lump it ... have a good day :)

Jane BM

Id love to stress again...that EVERYBODY is entitled to have a different point of view on this...we are not all going to agree on it, however we really do need to all start accepting that there are different viewpoints taken from different angles and to RESPECT each others beliefs and wishes..

daffodil

I agree with Jane, we are all different and as such we all come from different viewpoints....

The problem here for me is when the exchanges descend into personal insults.......

Sometimes in life, we just have to agree to differ:)

C

Cas

I agree with Jane, we are all different and as such we all come from different viewpoints....

The problem here for me is when the exchanges descend into personal insults.......

Sometimes in life, we just have to agree to differ:)
Exactly daffodil but we should NEVER stop thinking, deciding, changing our decisions, talking, researching EVER.

Reba1986

No to be honest I don;t find it hypotitical, especially because he's not saying that he's a practising Muslim!
Most off the persons do say here about the circumcision that if their son want to, they can choose later for themselves......wel maybe this is a little bit the same.....;)
I think that a lot off Muslim born people who are not practising, during their life find out and learn what they think about it and what they want to do with it, the religion I mean.
What I see by a lot non practising Muslims is that when they become older, experience marriage, having children, religion starts to grow and having more place in their life.
It's a process.
I for excample will not know where his way will be going with his religion, maybe there comes a time when he will be going to the Moskee aswell, maybe not, time will tell.

So I really don't find that something like you say the whole picking and chosing the religion to suit, I see it as a process.
I personally would have find it hyporitical when my husband was saying that he was a good practising Muslim and using religion as excuse when it suits him, but he doesn't do that!

And speaking about hypocritical and Ramadan........I do find it very hyporitical when European girlfriends or wifes going to visit their boyfriend / man in Tunisia and than are saying I'm doing the Ramadan....LOL they are doing a diet, not the Ramadan!!! Ramadan is so much more than not eating and not drinking!!!
Ohhh yes and in case of girlfriends / boyfriends...when I ask, ohhh so you're not sleeping together aswell....than I'm the crazy person in their eyes....LOL
That's hyporitical!!!
But that is another subject! LOL

Sorry but I don;t understand the last part with the lent thing, my translator tells me something very strange in this context!

This made me smile along with inserting "inshallah" after every sentence :p

Scoobydoo

And speaking about hypocritical and Ramadan........I do find it very hyporitical when European girlfriends or wifes going to visit their boyfriend / man in Tunisia and than are saying I'm doing the Ramadan....LOL they are doing a diet, not the Ramadan!!! Ramadan is so much more than not eating and not drinking!!!
Ohhh yes and in case of girlfriends / boyfriends...when I ask, ohhh so you're not sleeping together aswell....than I'm the crazy person in their eyes....LOL
That's hyporitical!!!
But that is another subject! LOL

Sorry but I don;t understand the last part with the lent thing, my translator tells me something very strange in this context!
Yes i find this hilarious too!!

deblee71

I totally disagree with it and it never ceases to amaze me that when married to a Tunisian a lot of women's opinions/values seems to be irrelevant! It's like they are just rolling over to hsve their tummies tickled!
Oh it's expected he's a Muslim, oh my husband wants it done, oh it has to be done my husbands a Muslim!! WTF? Yes but YOU are not Muslim (fair enough if you both are), what about what you want?!
What happened to what the women believes in and hold true?
This is general not at anyone specific...

Although IMO this is the same as the not calling the kids British names, or if it's to work both ways (good idea/compromise) its ALwAYs the Arabic name that is chosen first...

But hey ho what would I know I'm bitter and jealous.... ;-O
Lol :p

deblee71

Sorry to say but because you took Holland in it it was easy for me to check and it was not 7.1 but 8 and the dying of cervical cancer was 3 per 100.000
Allthough in the Netherlands there is a check up which starts when you're 30 years old, there are still dying every year between 200 and 250 woman and yearly diagnose is 600 / 650
Cervial cancer is the 5th cancer in the world.
So the study I looked at was incorrect? It was just talking about 2004!

gem15

Furthermore, female circumcision (FGM) is still muslim tradition in many countries in the world - which tells us that we should question everything and not just do things because its is always been this way.
Many countries but not all muslim countries.

deblee71

Sorry to say but because you took Holland in it it was easy for me to check and it was not 7.1 but 8 and the dying of cervical cancer was 3 per 100.000
Allthough in the Netherlands there is a check up which starts when you're 30 years old, there are still dying every year between 200 and 250 woman and yearly diagnose is 600 / 650
Cervial cancer is the 5th cancer in the world.
Cervical cancer is the 3rd most frequent cancer amongst women in the world, 2nd most frequent cancer between 15 and 44 years old and after age standardisation, cervical cancer rates as the 2nd most frequent cancer amongst women in the world (WHO,2010). Not that it is entirely relevant...