Marriage documents help!!!

sartajsyed90

Hello everyone,

I will be looking to get married to my Tunisian fiance early August this year in Testour. I have some issues right now regarding the documents that I need to present. A little information about me. I was born in Saudi Arabia and at the time the Saudi government didn't issue me a birth certificate, so naturally my parents had to get me the Indian birth certificate issued by the Indian Embassy in Jeddah (which states my name, date of birth, place of birth, parents information and so on). Currently I live in Canada and have been a Canadian citizen for a long time.

The issue I am facing with is, the Indian Birth Certificate I have (or can obtain) has a different name then my Canadian Passport (I had a name change done in Canada to shorten the name down and have the correct family name). I am wondering if they will accept a recently printed Indian Birth Certificate (not sure if I need 20 days prior to marriage or 3 months) along with my Canadian Name Change Certificate?

The other issue I'm facing with is, I'm Muslim by birth, but I've read in many places that I would need to consult with the Mufti of Tunis and get a certificate from him stating I'm muslim. Not sure if I need to do this process or not but I'm worried that this process can take 3+ months (or so I've read online). Incase if I have to get somthing for this, is there a faster option?

Lastly, I contacted the Canadian Embassy in Tunis via. email and they told me I can just show up on any business day and put in the request for Affidavit of Eligibility to marry with my fiance and the next business day they can hand me the letter. Is this correct?

Is there anything else I need to look out for? I really could use some help here as I'm not sure what to do. I know my fiance has tried (she really went all out) but she couldn't get answers as the problem at hand is unique for Tunisians.....hahahha

Thank you all.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Wow.

Good luck with this.

First thing speak to the registrar who will marry you and get a list of what is needed. They will be doing it so they have the final say.

Apparently the rules have changed with regard to a conversion certificate please again check this is the case.

Lastly, I contacted the Canadian Embassy in Tunis via. email and they told me I can just show up on any business day and put in the request for Affidavit of Eligibility to marry with my fiance and the next business day they can hand me the letter. Is this correct?

I am not Canadian but in Tunisia/Uk normally this is a notice that sits there for a while so your wife (if you have one) has a chance to find out.

I do not think Canada actually does them

"Certain countries do ask for a certificate of non-impediment to marriage issued by the Canadian authorities. The Canadian Government does not issue these certificates, but some countries may require a statement confirming that this is the case. This is called a statement in lieu of a certificate of non-impediment to marriage. Please contact the Canadian embassy in the country concerned in order to establish the requirements for Canadians getting married locally."