marriage...

Just wondering if anybody knows what papers i need to bring for when i get married in tunisia.
I have no idea what i have to bring with me just to start the process any info. would be great thanx

FoxyRoxie89

Birth cert within 3weeks of age on date of marrying

CONI (Certificate of non impediment) within 3 months of age when marrying

Birth cert within 3weeks of age on date of marrying

CONI (Certificate of non impediment) within 3 months of age when marrying
thanx for reply..CONI....where do i get this??? and the birth certificate is within 3 weeks of the day we get married is that what u mean??

FoxyRoxie89

I cant see a reply? just quotes my comment.

huttan

only see your quotes too Foxie...may be you touched something to erase just before posting?

DragonZest

The birth certificate has to be dated within the 3 weeks prior to you marrying, so...if forinstance you were getting married on the 21st of October, then your birth certificate has to be dated on or after the 1st October.

The CONI: you need to apply for it at the registrars office and it must be dated within the 3 months prior to you marrying.

Then remember to give yourself enough time when you get to Tunisia before the wedding to get everything translated into either Arabic or French and that the CONI has to be translated at the British embassy.

crazypink

Also if you have been previously married you will need the original decree absolute. You will also need to have been divorced for over 3mths to marry in Tunisia. (May not apply to you but thort i would add this info)

HeatherC

If you have changed your name in any way... please take proof of change of names.... I had all my paperwork.... and they asked me for my marriage certificate not just my decree... they needed proof from my maiden name to my married name... was told 4 days before we were to be married.... I was in tunisia i had to get in touch with a long time friend to go to the registry office to get the marriage certificate who cught a train to bring it up to where i lived to hand to a friend who then took it to another friend who then passed it on to a friend of theirs who was coming to tunisia the next day... so was a nightmare... but if i did not have great friends then i would not have been able to marry my husband ... so please please make sure you have every name change and proof you have... no matter even if you think you may not need it... better to be more papers than not enough...

Marie1959

Only prob I had was getting the notary to understand that here we can keep the name of a desceased husband took 3 hours before he would accept it lol and now our marriage cert has my maiden name on which I wasnt using and my late husbands name on as a known as he def didnt want to marry me in a dead mans name bless him xx

S

seikialice88

If you have changed your name in any way... please take proof of change of names.... I had all my paperwork.... and they asked me for my marriage certificate not just my decree... they needed proof from my maiden name to my married name... was told 4 days before we were to be married.... I was in tunisia i had to get in touch with a long time friend to go to the registry office to get the marriage certificate who cught a train to bring it up to where i lived to hand to a friend who then took it to another friend who then passed it on to a friend of theirs who was coming to tunisia the next day... so was a nightmare... but if i did not have great friends then i would not have been able to marry my husband ... so please please make sure you have every name change and proof you have... no matter even if you think you may not need it... better to be more papers than not enough...

I also think so.

Jane BM

Also if you have been previously married you will need the original decree absolute. You will also need to have been divorced for over 3mths to marry in Tunisia. (May not apply to you but thort i would add this info)

yes i got stung by the 3 months to have the decree absolute. Was told by both British Embassy and Tunisian Embassy in London that it didnt apply to me (had just got divorced from previous husband!), we booked our wedding etc etc etc, was even told by the Notaire that it didnt apply to me cos i wasnt Tunisian, to then find 1 week before our wedding, oops!!!!!!! it did apply!!!!!!!! so had to change the date of our wedding. Got there in the end tho.

Helen6

Hi I am a british woman hoping to marry a Tunisian man in March in Tunisia but has no idea what documents i will need i am divorced and has been for a few years. Can someone also tell me what sort of money this is all going to cost my other half has said about going to a municipality any advice would be appeciated many thanks

Jane BM

Hi I am a british woman hoping to marry a Tunisian man in March in Tunisia but has no idea what documents i will need i am divorced and has been for a few years. Can someone also tell me what sort of money this is all going to cost my other half has said about going to a municipality any advice would be appeciated many thanks
Have a look at some of the earlier posts Helen, they should steer you in the right direction. You'll need your CONI, your original decree absolute and your birth certificate which cannot be any older than 21 days old at the date of the wedding. Your CONI you have to have translated at the British Embassy in Tunis and your other documents also need to be translated by a certified translator. You will also both need to have your bloods done prior to the wedding.

As far as cost goes, that all depends on the kind of wedding you are wanting, it can be done very cheaply comparative to the UK, things like wedding cakes etc are much much cheaper in Tunisia, and much nicer IMO!!!

Helen6

thanks Jane can you also tell me how many days you have to be in Tunisia before you can get married many thanks

Jane BM

thanks Jane can you also tell me how many days you have to be in Tunisia before you can get married many thanks
As long as you've had your CONI done previously and had it translated at the Embassy, (the CONI is valid for 3 months from date of issue), you don't have to reside in Tunisia for any length of time before you marry. I arrived on the Wednesday and we married on the Saturday, so we had a busy couple of days collecting translated CONI from Embassy and getting bloods done, plus getting translations.

Helen6

many thanks Jane i am sure to be on here again picking your brains thanks

Jane BM

many thanks Jane i am sure to be on here again picking your brains thanks
No probs Helen. It'll all make sense at some point...lol

Essem

Staff member

Welcome Helen and congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

Will you be living in Tunisia after you are married?

Helen6

thank you Essem no we have both decided to live over here but I have no found out that we might be better getting married here now i am totally confused ha ha things are so up in the air just now

Jane BM

thank you Essem no we have both decided to live over here but I have no found out that we might be better getting married here now i am totally confused ha ha things are so up in the air just now
So are you thinking of him applying for a fiancé visa first?