marrying in tunisia

KIZZEY

Hi Carina, its as Pej says you can do what ever you like and make it your day. We married at our rented apartment, there were no vows but the man spoke English and he explained everything to me before I signed the papers and we exchanged our rings to the whoooooooping of the family when this was done, his is a thick heavy gold ring wich he described to me he would like (bought it here cause couldn't find one there only thin ones) Then we had our photos taken on the wrap around balcony with the person taking them from the street below, felt like the queen ha ha. Do what you both want and have a fantastic day it goes so so quickly x

feefad

You doo have to love signing the papers in Arabic, like you can understand it. I got confused if i should sign from right to left :) My dad was worse tho as he put on his specs to sign it as if it was making a difference.

arabchique

You doo have to love signing the papers in Arabic, like you can understand it. I got confused if i should sign from right to left :) My dad was worse tho as he put on his specs to sign it as if it was making a difference.

Awww, fee ... bet it made him feel a bit better tho ... :)

xxx

feefad

just adds to the strangeness of the day :)

Lizj

I didn't know about the not wearing of gold, that'll be a bit saved and more for me, ha, ha,

Is titanium ok?

sallyess

my husband wears a silver ring too as it is haram for men to wear gold. when i got married everything was said in arabic didn't have a clue what was being said. i just nodded my head when told and signed the paper. I said afterwards i could have been signing anything lol. Luckily 17 years down the line and 4 kids later we are still happily married. So it just goes to prove you don't have to have a glamorous wedding to be happy.

feefad

was almost the same but had his sis translating for me sally, still think i signed over all my riches to him without realising it tho :)

ladybird27

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone can give advice as to where there are good white gold diamond or emerald engagement rings in Tunis?

I am going to Tunisia again on wednesday and my fiance and i will go to choose my ring whilst i am there. I am so happy but not sure what to expect of the jewellery there? i know they tend to use a lot of cubic zirconia but we want a "real" ring as it will last longer and be better quality :)

Any tips/advice on where to buy would be great.

Thanks in advance x

Khaled Zaram

Hi, my fiance bought my engagement ring in Tunisia, Sousse a beautiful white gold and diamond ring, if you go to any good jewellery store they willbe able to help you all the gold has a stamp on it so you willknow it is genuine we got a receipt stating that the ring was realy also so you should not have a problem compared to here prices are much cheaper. Have a gret time picking one. x Karen

sheesha_chick

TESTING THE MARKET!

My friend and I are looking for your feedback.

We are looking into the possibility of setting up our own business, in Tunisia - a Wedding Planning Service, and we are looking for interest, feedback and ideas whilst trying to establish the market.

We feel that there is a need for a service like this in Tunisia and we have both the contacts and the experience to make this happen.

We will organise everything, from Wedding Dresses and Entertainment down to Henna and Hammam's. We will also be offering an advice service so if you have any questions, or need any advice about your wedding we will be willing to help.

Do you think this is a service that you might use?
Do you have any suggestions?

We would love to hear your feedback so please get in touch with us!

If you don't want to make a post on here then you can email us at:

[email protected]

Thank you.

Tunisianbelle

Can anyone help me,I'm in love with an Tunisia Man,and he loves me, what are the rules of marriage for a Tunisia man to an American woman ? is there is anyone who can help me with this questian
Ronniverhat

Seeing as this post by you is old, I am assuming you did get married, so congratulations! I too am an American married to a Tunisian, and living in Tunisia.

Here is the information for marriage in case there are any other Americans who are curious:

• First off, for an American, neither a fixed period of residence in Tunisia nor publication of bans is required.
  • Only marriages celebrated before designated Notaries at the City Hall Registry Office “Bureau de l’Etat Civil a la Municipalite” in compliance with Tunisian Law No. 57 August 1, 1957, are legal.
  • Tunisian law requires that the marriage fulfill the marriage requirements of both Tunisia and the foreigner’s country (the US recognizes and accepts Tunisian marriages).
  • Marriage between Tunisian men and foreign women are without any requirements.
  • Marriage between foreign non-Muslim men and Tunisian Muslim women provided the man converts. The “Mufti”, the national religious authority, delivers the Certificate of Conversion that must be presented to City Hall before a marriage can take place. The conversion process can take three months or longer.

The prospective husband and wife are each required to submit the required documents to the City Hall Registry Office in order to obtain an appointment for the marriage. All documents must be translated into Arabic or French by a sworn translator and all, except the passport, are retained in Tunisian Civil files. All documents must be originals or certified copies. All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations into English.

Required documents:
  1. Birth Certificate bearing the impression seal of the issuing authority.
  2. Passport
  3. Affidavit of Eligibility to marry - Tunisia requires proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification by competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage. No such document exists in the United States. Therefore, the parties to a prospective marriage abroad will have to execute an affidavit stating that they are free to marry. This is called an affidavit of eligibility to marry and must be executed at the American Embassy or consulate in the country in which the marriage will occur. The fee for the American Consular Officer’s certification of the affidavit is $30.00.
    WARNING: Title 22, Section 1203 of the United States Code provides that any person who willfully and corruptly commits perjury in swearing an affidavit before an American Consular Officer may be charged, proceeded against, tried, convicted an dealt with in any district of the United States, in the same manner, in all respects, as if such offense had been committed in the United States.​
  4. Prenuptial Marriage Certificate – This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis will supply a printed form for this certificate upon request. All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.
  5. Fee
  6. Information
  • Full name
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Profession
  • Current address in Tunisia
  • Full names of parents
  • Verbal declaration that they are free to marry
  • Name of two witnesses

As applicable, the following documents may be required:

1. Divorce Decree(s) - Such decrees must be final and valid in the country of the interested party’s nationality. For example a Spaniard who has been divorced by the authority of another country, such divorce not being recognized by Spain, cannot contract marriage in Tunisia because Tunisian law requires compliance with both, Tunisian laws and the national law of the foreigner.
  2. Prior spouse’s death certificate - bearing the seal of the issuing authorities.
  3. Written Consent of parent or guardian if either party is under 20 years of age (article 5,6 and 153 of the Tunisian Personal Code)
  4. Certificate from the Mufti in Tunis - that a non-Muslim man who intends to marry a Muslim woman has been accepted into the Muslim religion (Interpretation of the Koran Scriptures having legal effect 7shaoual 1383). A non-Muslim woman does not have to become Muslim in order to marry a Muslim man.

You can contact the US Embassy for more information:

US Embassy - Tunis
Les Berges du Lac
1053 Tunis
TUNISIA
Phone: +216.71.107.000
Fax: +216.71.107.090 -OR- +216.71.964.360
E-Mail: [email protected] -OR- [email protected]

Hope this helps. If need be, I am always happy to assist as well.:)

Tunisianbelle

If both the bride and the groom are not Tunisian, yet wish to marry here, it IS possible provided they are able to fill ALL obligations under Tunisian law, AND the law of the country they come from or the marriage will NOT be valid.

What is posted on the UK Embassy website is a mandate that is to UK nationals taking a short holiday in Tunisia. The UK will not recognize such a marriage because their conditions for marriage (21 days residence in Tunisia, a notice of intent to marry which must be in public forum for 21 days) are not met.

Not all countries have such stipulations (the US for example, has no set preconditions of time or notices and people are free to marry while here on vacation). I have known people who have come here on holiday from other countries and have gotten married without problems.

Tunisianbelle

Hobi said:
What??? ????

What do you need help with? Your what is just kinda out there with nothing to suggest what you don't understand.

Trulymadlydeeply

I think Hobi was referring to the spam that I deleted x

Tunisianbelle

OH! Okay, then that makes sense! hehehe :D

Tunisianbelle

Hobi said:
Who knows how much financial security a Tunisian man needs before he is "ripe " for marriage?I mean does he have to be able to buy a house and have enough in the bank or what?
This really depends on the man I would guess. Most prefer not to get married until that are able to provide for a family, and that would include having (buying or renting) a house, having money to feed and clothe the family, etc. They should also be able to (or at least the family should be able to) finance the wedding.

Hobi said:
What is the normal length of time to be engaged before they marry? Can one be engaged for a few years?
The average time in my experience varies from couple to couple. Normally a wedding is done within a year of the engagement. It allows for all the other pieces (families meeting, giving of jewelry, the couple to find a house, to buy furnishings, etc) to fall into place and money for the wedding to be saved up. Lengthy engagements are not typical and are looked down upon for the most part because they lead to temptation.

At least that is what I have seen from when I got married, to marriages within the family and with friends. :)

Tunisianbelle

Just as an observation, I have noticed that most Tunisian men marry around the age of 30 or after. My husband married me when he was 27, and he was the first amongst all his friends to marry and have children. All his friends have just gotten married really within the last 5 years - between the ages of 30-35. My brother-in-law got married at age 28, and he was the first of his friends. His friends (now entering into their 30's) are just now starting to get married.

Tunisianbelle

Yeah, it can get expensive! :p I'm glad we only have one boy (for now!).:p

feefad

i think tunisian sums up my knowledge of the matter pretty well too. My brother in law had signed the papers and things before Z and I got married but they didnt actually have the celebration until a few months after us. This allowed for him to finish furnishing the house etc. Z was never gonna be able to buy us a house here or I'd be still waiting :)

samwella

from when i was over there and some of S friends we're getting married to tunisian woman, a few of them did the same...they signed the papers first and then a few months later actually had the celebrations...i dont know how common this is with everyone else just a few cases i've seen....but i guess in reality its a case of being able to afford it

we couldnt afford at the time to have a big celebration so thats why we did it for us first and then waited 2 years till we finally had the celebations for it...i guess everyones different and it depends on whats right for them