marrying in tunisia

carina

so when u say ur vows is it in french ??? xx

jacqui0414

I didnt actually say anything really i listened as it was translated and agreed then that was it lol

carina

OMG really so they do translate it for u ???? is the service like wot we have here ? do u do the signing etc ? can u have music playing ?
xx

carina

thanks just have not got a clue wot its going to be like any info is great lol xx

carina

where did u all get married ? wot town ?? xx

Jasmine

Nicola...

What are your wedding rings like? I have heard that hubby cannot wear gold? Is this correct?
The alternative would be titanium?

xx

jacqui0414

i got married in kasserine :)

my hubby wears a silver ring coz wont wear gold

everyone admires my engagement ring and wedding rings so much choice there :)

feefad

I was the same as Nicola with my hubby's sister translating the arabic. Found out the guy spoke English when she struggled with a bit and he told me what it was. Signed my life away in Arabic too which was weird with the whole right to left thing. had to laugh as my dad and his dad were our witnesses. My dad put his glasses on to sign the register even although he wouldnt understand a word of it :D

sylviachoudry

he can have gold, but its mostly silver,slim had gold at first but it was thin and snapped when he was working,i got him another but his finger got bigger o thats on my middle finger next to my wed ring finger,we are getting him silver one when we go in oct,

feefad

Our rings are white gold. he used to wear it with no issues but can't wear it at work so now just doesnt bother ( I think he's trying to find himself a new woman ha ha)

carina

ridha wear a gold ring all ready so not a problem to him. did u walk in together or with ur dad ? do u not say vows to each other ? xx

Trulymadlydeeply

Where we were married in La Marsa we went together in the car all the way I was aying if he doesnt speak English Im not going through with it! I told him I might be marrying the cleaner outside I wont know what hes saying :rolleyes:

We did walk in together to the sounds of lelelelelelelelelleeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!:D

Was a little walk up to the front we sat on two chairs and he started in Arabic, my then hubby looked like he was going to be sick!!! Then he turned to me and spoke in English my hubby nearly shot out the chair:D

Good memories we exchanged rings outside when we were having the photos taken.

pej

Our ceremony was in Arabic, such as it was - you sign papers seven times and you are both asked if you take the other person to be your husband/wife. The signing ceremony itself is quite simple - no walking in with maids and all, you simply sit down with the registrar and sign the papers. My ring was put on my finger right after the ceremony, while people took pictures. Of course to some extent you can make up your own ceremony, especially if you rent a place to hold the party but as has been pointed out before this is no English Church ceremony. If you want your father to walk you down the aisle I beleive the biggest problem won't be that this is not part of the Tunisian tradition, but that there might be a lack of an aisle... ;-) Then again, you might discuss with your partner what kind of a ceremony you both want and then see what kind of compromise can be reached, if you want different things or want something included that is not usually done.

The thing with gold is that if you are a Muslim man, you are not supposed to wear gold, and that includes white gold of course as it is not the colour but the metal itself that is concerned. Of course if you aren't strictly practicing you may do as you please, but I suppose some might still abstain from gold as it has become a tradition. My husband has a silver wedding ring and that's all the jewellry he wants. More gold for me! ;-)

carina

lol i know its not a church but here u still can walk in with ur dad ! thanks truly all info helps get a picture of wot its like xx

carina

thanks pej all sounds fine. dont really want to walk down an aisle just asking wot happens lol xx

pej

Yes I thought you meant it "in general" so to speak but of course when it comes to another country you really don't know what happens... you might get to walk in a "parade" with relatives and all going to the party if you have one, with everything being video-taped... Kris put his wedding video up here somewhere, that one should give you an idea! Then again if you have a traditional 3-day-or-more wedding (which we didn't) there will be enough ceremonies (and costumes/dresses) to last you a lifetime!

carina

yes i have seen ridha family wedding dvds they went on a week but no i just want to marry and have a party lol xx

Rachel

Me and my husband excahanged rings at the pool side of the Tabarka beach hotel after we had been married and had the party afterwards. We spent a couple of nights there after we had been married. My ceremony was in Tunis one of the persons who worked there spoke english but my husband was allowed to translate the service to me bit by bit... it took a bit longer than a "standard" tunisian wedding but i was nice.

Rach x

feefad

I got married in the commune in Hammam Sousse and it sounds a bit like Truleys, walking in to the Indian noises and sitting in 2 chairs at the front. have to say I was mega impressed as the man I thought was doing the ceremony turned out to be the assistant and the registrar came in wearing a red and white sash thing, looked well fancy. We swapped rings at our party after, in front of family and friends. We had hired out a restaurant in hammam sousse, but it was feb so was easy for us to do this.

Andy

We got married in the registry office in grombalia, my husband was supposed to be translating but was soooooo nervous he didnt speak a word for an hour before went in, When the registra asked him did he take me as his wife he responded in english saying "yes of course" and everyone laughed, so when they asked me i responded in arabic by saying "nam" (cant spell it) and every gave a big cheered!! What a great day, hoping to do it all again with all our family, maybe next year