Monastir's museum

Sana

Cultural Museum of Sidi Belkhiria Jemmal

The region of Monastir ( it is a city on the central shore of Tunisia , in the Sahel area. Traditionally a fishing port, Monastir is now a major tourist resort ) which contains several archaeological sites and historical monuments ,has five museums including the Sidi Belkhiria cultural museum established on December 26, 2002.

The 700 exhibits has revealed a rich Tunisian history and cultural tradition starting with the local museum “Zaouiat in Sidi Ali Belkhiria which was built at the beginning of the 19th century and which represents a glorious era in the history of the city of Jemmal, as an important center of Sufism in the Sahel of Tunisia.

These pieces show the economic, scientific and the daily activities of Tunisian people especially Jemmali which include gathering tools and crushing olives, the "kotab" or Koranic children school , clothes, popular games and "El Aricha"( some kind of outdoor kitchen where women prepare tabouna), etc..

Mr. Ridha Ben Hamouda , the association ‘s chairman , claimed that The efforts done by the organization to preserve the Jemmal city focus mainly on collecting a maximum amount of parts and data about cultural heritage of Jemmal in order to promote cultural tourism in this region.:)

SilverMoonlight

I really love museums. Especially cultural or historical ones. I believe these are our bond with the past. I love learning things about the past. I am a little romantic too, and I feel so nice imagining how life used to be.