Money transfer abroad

K81

Hi Everybody,

I hope everyones well, hubby has savings in this country (UK) but he wants us to settle in Tunisia but he does not have a Tunisian bank account, he is unsure on how to take his savings to Tunisia he does not want to take all that cash with him incase anything happened, I was thinking of a bankers draft from a bank here to deposit in a account in Tunisia when he gets there. Will that be possible?

Many Thanks

K

NetNiet

Why don't you both open a bankaccount here in Tunisia and afterwards transfer the money from the UK to Tunisia?

And I don't know the amount in the UK, but in Euro's it's up to 10.000 that they will not investigate or put you on a list. When nothing is wrong with that money, you don't have to worry! LOL

When you take the money cash with you to Tunisia and you want to change it into Dinars officially or put it in a bankaccount, you have to go to the douane to register, in Djerba it's where you also get your suitcases, so don't go tru the doors, without going to the douane. They will make a note for you, so you can change it legally or put it on a bankaccount.

K81

Thank you for yr response hubby will open a bank account when he is there but he wants to deposit the amount in his account at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

NetNiet

Than there is no other way to take it cash with you and register it at the douane (if you don't do that, it's IMPOSSIBLE to put the money on your bankaccount, but if it's a lot of money I wouldn't do that.
Just open here a bankaccount and make a transfer from the UK, if you can do that online you can do that from here. It will take some time untill the money is arriving on your Tunisian bankaccount, but you don't have to be scared that something is happening.

missmetal

It takes about 2 weeks to be cleared when u do an online bank transfer (at least from Canada to Tunisia and mine are small amounts)

alternatively, he could send himself a western union to be picked up over there maybe when he gets in? Im not sure what the send limit is from the UK. But you could send it the same day he leaves or the day he decides to open the account. And then in future, do the bank transfers?

Mezoo

VIP Member
when your husband goes to the bank he should inquire about foreign currency accounts. for those tunisians living abroad theses are one choice. i'm not sure exactly how it works but nour has had one for years and we deposit dollars from the u.s.. your bank will be able to explain further. :cool:

Dolly

We have a foreign currency account. It's very easy - my bank in Australia transfers the amount in US$ for me and around 3 days later it's here in Tunisia. However - since July of last year it is no longer possible for resident Tunisians to have this sort of bank account. If they live overseas it's not a problem. This account also means that we can take money out of Tunisia in foreign currency if we wish!

Amy Ben Salem

just read this and im interested. so if i need to send money to my husband say £1,000 and i send from my uk barclays account into his Tunisian account i send the £1,000 plus pay the £25.00 fee and then he will get the full amount into his account 2,000 dinar (or whatever the exact) dont you get charged? when changing ££££ into cash you get charged dont you? i feel really stupid now, think ive just confused myself and cant remember what happens. i get charged when i draw money out of my account when in Tunisia, so drawing this money out i will lose a percentage yes? and western union charge too..

daffodil

Hi Amy,

if you do a transfer through the bank, like you say they charge you about 25.00 here......

When the money is received in Tunisia it will be deposited in tnd at the exchange rate for the day they do the trasaction. Biat bank in Tunisia dont charge a fee, i dont know about other banks in Tunisia.

It is better option to transfer larger amounts of money than the Western Union as less costs.

EG check out how much it would cost to send 1,000 pound via Western Union, i think it is prob more than the 25.00 your bank will charge.

I hope this is info you wanted...

Amy Ben Salem

Hi Amy,

if you do a transfer through the bank, like you say they charge you about 25.00 here......

When the money is received in Tunisia it will be deposited in tnd at the exchange rate for the day they do the trasaction. Biat bank in Tunisia dont charge a fee, i dont know about other banks in Tunisia.

It is better option to transfer larger amounts of money than the Western Union as less costs.

EG check out how much it would cost to send 1,000 pound via Western Union, i think it is prob more than the 25.00 your bank will charge.

I hope this is info you wanted...
yes western union is more than what the bank will charge, the more you send with western union the more they take.

so whatever way i will loose a percentage of my money? plus get charged?

if i take cash i pay to change it into dinars and put it in his bank and if i transfer they will take too? no way around it :confused:

Amy Ben Salem

Thanks Daff sorry to confuse matters, just trying to get my head around it for future reference ;)

annibee

i have a co-op cash passport you get 2 cards with this so he has the spare one and if i ever need to send anything over i just load it here and he withdraws it there just a £1.50 charge for withdrawing so simple and cheap :) and i can also use it for paying for things and load it before i go and can also use here

daffodil

Thanks Daff sorry to confuse matters, just trying to get my head around it for future reference ;)
The option annibee has suggested sounds good plan though, just 1.50 to w/d cash that cant be beaten....

I will look into one of them cards myself, thanks annibee

Amy Ben Salem

i have a co-op cash passport you get 2 cards with this so he has the spare one and if i ever need to send anything over i just load it here and he withdraws it there just a £1.50 charge for withdrawing so simple and cheap :) and i can also use it for paying for things and load it before i go and can also use here
thanks guys, how much can you put on the card? :confused: lol..

annibee

thanks guys, how much can you put on the card? :confused: lol..
hi you can put as much as you want on dont think there is a limit but if an awful lot could just withdraw over a few days if it was problem but its so easy to do and cheap just remember 1 is a loading card so keep that 1 and give him the other. post office also do 1 :)

Amy Ben Salem

hi you can put as much as you want on dont think there is a limit but if an awful lot could just withdraw over a few days if it was problem but its so easy to do and cheap just remember 1 is a loading card so keep that 1 and give him the other. post office also do 1 :)
ok cool, something to look into :) thank you

maynardlynne

how do u get money from account in tunisia to your own bank account in the UK????????

Aqeela

Okay so I am living in Pakistan and I need to send money to a friend who lives in Tunisia (Msaken) I found two banks with western union one is Amen Bank the other Attijari Bank. But I am confused if there would be a charge deduction from it or not. And what the requirements would be for the receiver to receive the money

lainie

read the western union website - it tells you all you need to know