Moving to Tunisia - salary & accommodation questions

Lorie

They are 9 and 7 but have been here since they were very little - its very hard finding the right school - there is a lot of choice now but the quality varies dramatically and the most expensive isd not necessarily the best. I am lucky to have finally found a good school but it really is trial and error I'm afraid!

Trulymadlydeeply

Have you thought about how the language barrier may affect your sons ADHD? Why have you made the choice to move there Lindsey? I think he would get a lot more help and understanding in our schools. Also if he takes any medicine there would be no free prescriptions..

Trulymadlydeeply

What are the coatings Lorie for private schooling?

Lorie

Unfortunately most of the Tunisian schools I have come across are not very accommodating to children with special needs. My concern is that they would simply see him as being naughty and punish him accordingly. The school my children are at is very good and helpful. When children are naughty they get lines to write but this is certainly not the norm - at their prev school a naughty child got a whack round the head! I had several heated discussions with the teachers about hitting my children so they stopped hitting European kids ( cos the mother's masks a fuss!) But carried on hitting the Tunisian kids! Just be very cautious Lindsey I am really not trying to scare you off but this'd is just how it is here - sorry

Lorie

My children really like their new school and the teachers - so yes it can be okay!

Lorie

The cost of private schools vary a lot you can pay anything from 100td - 280td per month depending on which school you choose - if you want a school lunch add another 7td a day, extra study can be between 15 - 50td per month per subject plus registration and school uniform - another 100td and buying books ( the private schools use expensive French books) stationery etc - that's another 100 - 150 TD initial outlay! Plus all the diesel driving them back and forwards to school!! ⛽

Have you thought about how the language barrier may affect your sons ADHD? Why have you made the choice to move there Lindsey? I think he would get a lot more help and understanding in our schools. Also if he takes any medicine there would be no free prescriptions..
I have not 100% decided in coming there I'm just weighing up options... I'm getting married next august to my tunisian mr so it's just discussion our options.... We spend a lot of time with his family when were there and my son plays with his nephew and locals however I know living there would be totally different.... I'm aware the prescriptions would not be free... And his school here is good... I'm just seeking advice from anyone who has been in similar situations. Thanks x

Unfortunately most of the Tunisian schools I have come across are not very accommodating to children with special needs. My concern is that they would simply see him as being naughty and punish him accordingly. The school my children are at is very good and helpful. When children are naughty they get lines to write but this is certainly not the norm - at their prev school a naughty child got a whack round the head! I had several heated discussions with the teachers about hitting my children so they stopped hitting European kids ( cos the mother's masks a fuss!) But carried on hitting the Tunisian kids! Just be very cautious Lindsey I am really not trying to scare you off but this'd is just how it is here - sorry
Yes they probably would see him as naughty because he gets labelled that here already in the UK and as you say they hit this makes me very wary as my son can hit back which would not be good thanks for your reply Loire x

Lorie I apologise predictive text

Lorie

living here really is very different to just visiting - for what it is worth, I would be inclined to keep your son in the UK where his needs will be far more closely monitored - my friend has a special needs daughter here and when she turns 6 they see no alternative but to take her back to Europe where they know she will get the help she needs. sadly she just won't get that here. Good luck with your future decisions - hope this info helped a bit!

living here really is very different to just visiting - for what it is worth, I would be inclined to keep your son in the UK where his needs will be far more closely monitored - my friend has a special needs daughter here and when she turns 6 they see no alternative but to take her back to Europe where they know she will get the help she needs. sadly she just won't get that here. Good luck with your future decisions - hope this info helped a bit!
Thank you so much for all your replies and il keep use posted... I think coming there is ruled out tbh with my son and he comes first for everything I was just seeking advice again nothing set in stone...thank you again :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Lovely to see and hear that you are putting your son first Lindsey, sadly some don't only to see it all go Pete tong!!! Good luck with your wedding and hope you manage to sort things out.. :)

ROULLA

Hi Lorie, hope that you and your family are all well!

Lorie, you have given some excellent advice on this thread.
Can I also say that there are plenty of school's here in the UK where children with SEN do not get treated the way that they should, believe you me.
I don't really want to get into it, but I find that the highest ranking schools must be the worse when it comes to SEN children, I have seen how little people care when it comes to statemented children and it makes my blood boil.
So don't for one minute think that all the schools in the UK care about the education of SEN children because they don't.

I also take my hat off to you as you said that you write a little Arabic and that must be extremely hard.

N

Nizar Tn

Hello :)

I am new to this forum, I would like to share my knowledge about certain topics.. like this one got me interested...

I just want to let you know that average teacher salaries lays around 900 Dinars.. so 2800 DT is quiet decent.. But in capital you won't save much.. the rent is very expensive and the kindergarten too, traffic is horrible all day long... if you could get the same Salary in Sousse you could easily find a 500 dinar/month apartment in a really good place, you can sign up your child in local kinder garden for 100d a month or less.. you can even hire a house maid/nanny from reliable hiring partner or something. you can end up saving 1500DT at least..

Lorie

Lorie, you have given some excellent advice on this thread.
Can I also say that there are plenty of school's here in the UK where children with SEN do not get treated the way that they should, believe you me.
I don't really want to get into it, but I find that the highest ranking schools must be the worse when it comes to SEN children, I have seen how little people care when it comes to statemented children and it makes my blood boil.
So don't for one minute think that all the schools in the UK care about the education of SEN children because they don't.

I also take my hat off to you as you said that you write a little Arabic and that must be extremely hard.
Hi Roulla we are all well thanks - yes sadly its true what you say. I used to deal with the fall out of local authorities who had failed statemented kids. Some schools do a great job and some - less said the better, but the schooling here really is tough and so competitive so kids who really need help tend to get ignored. I quite enjoyed learning basic Arabic just wish my conversational skills still weren't so crap!!:p:D

ROULLA

Hi Roulla we are all well thanks - yes sadly its true what you say. I used to deal with the fall out of local authorities who had failed statemented kids. Some schools do a great job and some - less said the better, but the schooling here really is tough and so competitive so kids who really need help tend to get ignored. I quite enjoyed learning basic Arabic just wish my conversational skills still weren't so crap!!:p:D
Yes, I agree there are some schools that do help statemented children or should I say there must be but unfortunately I have not come across one as yet, how sad is that.
You said in a previous post that your children are 7 and 9 and you have been in Tunisia since they were very young so I am more than sure that your conversational skills are perfect.

Trulymadlydeeply

Depends what you want in it really. Modern with all mod cons AC or basic. What region are you thinking of?

Jane BM

Just basic and I'm thinkin mate sousse thanks for the reply
If it's just a basic apartment then you can get them from anything like 400 upwards...obviously the more the pay the better you get.