Moving to Tunisia - salary & accommodation questions

Scottochott

As said above, varies enormously. Depends on size and proximity to beach, as well as modern conveniences. 400TD will be basic, 1000 will be lux!

hannah123

i am looking to marry my tunisian bf in december and the plan is to eventually move from scotland over to hammamet to be with him!! but i am struggling to find a job i cud do ? any help would be very appreciated :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Unless you have the funds to set up a business of some sort you will be limited to working in tourism or maybe teaching English. Does you bf not want to come to Scotland?

hannah123

he said he would like to stay in hammamet.. which im assumin would cost less for me! iv heard its alot of money for him to come to scotland? do u no what papers are needed to get married and what needs to be translated into french?

Jane BM

he said he would like to stay in hammamet.. which im assumin would cost less for me! iv heard its alot of money for him to come to scotland? do u no what papers are needed to get married and what needs to be translated into french?
Hannah, there are many threads on here that tell you what paperwork is needed to marry in Tunisia, best thing to do is to study them first, then if you've got any questions ask on the forum.

Would your future boyfriend support you if you live in Tunisia? Does he work? Have his own home? Finding work in Tunisia isn't easy unless you were to set up your own business.

hannah123

Hannah, there are many threads on here that tell you what paperwork is needed to marry in Tunisia, best thing to do is to study them first, then if you've got any questions ask on the forum.

Would your future boyfriend support you if you live in Tunisia? Does he work? Have his own home? Finding work in Tunisia isn't easy unless you were to set up your own business.[/QUOT

the cost of a visa for him to come to scotland is alot of money?? i will have a look on threads and see about papers :)

Trulymadlydeeply

It is expensive yes, could he support you until you find work? Do you have any children? Not as easy as just moving over there.. Have you been together long?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this is not the case any more but to stay in Tunisia you normally need an income of at least 10,000 dinars without working in Tunisia.

I assume that maybe this is different if the husband is Tunisian.

Getting a job is not easy at all and those bills dont stop either.

Hammamet is a tourist resort out of season its dead and is a low wage area... unless your the boss of some low wage paying touristic enterprise.

Hopefully you have some skills... if not teaching seems to be the most flexible profession and it may be worth doing a Tefl course to help sort a job before you go.

Last edited:

janette

Hannah, I don't want to burst your bubble, but the general rule in Tunisia is that a job cannot be given to a foreign person if it can be given to a Tunisian, so choices are very limited to say the least.
Have you spent a longish period living in Tunisia as a local? If you haven't, I suggest that you spend at least 6 months experiencing that before making a decision, as it is totally different to living there on holiday. If you are marrying a reasonably well off man, then maybe he can finance a lifestyle that is comfortable, but if not, personally i would forget that idea. You really do need to explore options before making a decision. Best wishes for the future. :)

Scottochott

Looks like you need to do a lot of research, maybe this should be done before deciding to marry?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
It will be a very large culture shock.

I have been in Tunisia a month and now the kids are bigger I now know I made the right choice coming back to the UK.

Maybe I am turning into Victor Meldrew and everything annoys me more now.

Almost everyone is in some form of credit enduced financial stress (TBF most had loans from before 2011 when the economy was better).

In-fact I am happy to go home just to get away from people moaning about money.

They need to make some major changes asap after the election as last time everyone was this down the revolution kicked off within weeks.

Last edited:

Essem

Staff member
i am looking to marry my tunisian bf in december and the plan is to eventually move from scotland over to hammamet to be with him!! but i am struggling to find a job i cud do ? any help would be very appreciated :)
Some of the Tour Operators will employ staff out here but, for example, one of them at the moment will employ staff on a UK contract for 2 years and then move you on to a local contract (Tunisian wages) if you want to stay in Tunisia, otherwise the TO would ask you to move to another resort in another country. Speaking French or Arabic can make a difference. Do you have languages Hannah?

Selmi

My husband and family are thinking of relocating back to tunisia after 10 years here in the UK not 100 per cent really scared any advise ?

Selmi

Can anyone advise us the driving route to tunisia with our car

Selmi

Cheap flights from UK to Tunisia via jet2 from May 2015

Selmi

Thanks for that essem

Jane BM

My husband and family are thinking of relocating back to tunisia after 10 years here in the UK not 100 per cent really scared any advise ?
Are you planning on going as well Selmi?

Selmi

Hi Jane yeah myself my husband and my youngest daughter who is 17 the other children will be staying they are 32 23 and 18 having lived in tunisia and Malta over 10 years ago and went through just about every situation regarding visas marriage housing employment etc
I feel some what tired although we love tunisia and visit regular throughout the year can I do this all again we have a wonderful life here lovely holidays nice home work should I give it all up yet again ?

Jane BM

Difficult one Selmi, and a lot to think about. Why does your family want to go back? If you've a lovely life here, I'd be seriously sceptical about relocating there permanently....think I'd rather do what you're doing already and just enjoy my holidays out there.

For me it would also depend on how well I could live over there...and what opportunities there would be for me 17 year old daughter more importantly...is she still in education? What is she planning to do? X