Nationality Law..

KB72

Hello, I have just read this post but I have a question.

Tunisian father. British Mother. Unmarried. Father is not present on birth certificate in thr UK nor is the child registered in Tunisia and child has mothers Surname. Where does a mother stand with legality in regards to guardianship should the child be taken to Tunisia to see the father?
I am curious as to the response as I have never found an answer to this yet.

Trulymadlydeeply

I don't think you could get a definite answer on that one as Tunisia is a law unto itself!!!! Legally on paperwork you should have full care and control BUT in Tunisia if your BF has a DNA test and proves he is the father HE takes the control over your child with regards to whether the child stays or goes!!!

Are you sure the baby isn't registered in Tunisia?

KB72

I don't think you could get a definite answer on that one as Tunisia is a law unto itself!!!! Legally on paperwork you should have full care and control BUT in Tunisia if your BF has a DNA test and proves he is the father HE takes the control over your child with regards to whether the child stays or goes!!!

Are you sure the baby isn't registered in Tunisia?
I haven't given his name to any officials within the UK so I can't see how he would be registered?

missmetal

I haven't given his name to any officials within the UK so I can't see how he would be registered?
Your husband could have?

missmetal

Your husband could have?
I think you have a couple if risk items here.
If they can be bothered to do a DNA test, then you would be screwed. But if you go to Tunisia and they say where's the father of the child, (not sure they will) what will you say? If he's tunisian you would probably need a letter. You could lie and say he's in the UK and get a fake letter? Dunno, just thinking out loud.

but I guess you're going to visit him in Tunisia, so not sure what you would say to the border cops

KB72

I was mainly curious as to what would happen with an unregistered father. I flew 6 months pregnant and I was never questioned either way. If you make buddies on flight, walk and talk with them and fly through. However my child has my maiden name which is definately not Arabic, so I don't think they will question it especially since I have red hair and my child has white skin like me. I am not concerned as to whether he will allow me back out. He told me without my prompt that he wouldn't ever prevent me. But, actions speak louder than words huh! Trust it appears it has to be. I have told him if he didn't let him back out, then he would have me making his life miserable until the point he says 'Go go go!' :p He is a lovely character, there I am rather lucky.

Trulymadlydeeply

Trust is all you can rely on here KB72 only you know your partner. Hope your travels run smoothly.

missmetal

I was mainly curious as to what would happen with an unregistered father. I flew 6 months pregnant and I was never questioned either way. If you make buddies on flight, walk and talk with them and fly through. However my child has my maiden name which is definately not Arabic, so I don't think they will question it especially since I have red hair and my child has white skin like me. I am not concerned as to whether he will allow me back out. He told me without my prompt that he wouldn't ever prevent me. But, actions speak louder than words huh! Trust it appears it has to be. I have told him if he didn't let him back out, then he would have me making his life miserable until the point he says 'Go go go!' :p He is a lovely character, there I am rather lucky.

If thats your baby in your pic, adorable!!!

Not sure about the unregistered, only that if they were to do DNA, he would be auto registered I guess in his country. They would require baby to have a tunisian passport and all that. I dont think the laws changed yet to allow the nationality of the mother.

KB72

Hehe, thank you! He was born 2nd June. He most certainly has his fathers widows peak! Other than that a baby looks like a baby :p
I am going to see his father in November, very excited. He is a lovely man and I trust him when he says he wouldn't do anything to cause trouble. I will update you on what happens at the airport!

salim

Hehe, thank you! He was born 2nd June. He most certainly has his fathers widows peak! Other than that a baby looks like a baby :p
I am going to see his father in November, very excited. He is a lovely man and I trust him when he says he wouldn't do anything to cause trouble. I will update you on what happens at the airport!
Good luck KB72:)

Essem

Staff member
He's gorgeous KB. Hope it all goes well for you.

YOLO

Just a question.
Can my mother apply for frensh citizenship? She was born in france and has her "Frensh" birth certificate and other papers.
I don't think she can make it.
She is 47 years old now.

YOLO

Just a question.
Can my mother apply for frensh citizenship/passport? She was born in france and has her "Frensh" birth certificate and other papers.
howeverI don't think she can make it , right?
She is 47 years old now tho..

Last edited:

Trulymadlydeeply

Can't see why not, if she was born there..

Trulymadlydeeply

I know I'm the Ul we claim citizenship through our mother (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) would it not be the same in Tunisia ie you could claim this too :)

YOLO

I know I'm the Ul we claim citizenship through our mother (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) would it not be the same in Tunisia ie you could claim this too :)
sorry can you explain me more?
Specifically?

Trulymadlydeeply

For example I am British if I gave birth to my son in Germany he could have dual nationality German as he was born there and British through me. So if your mother was born in France she could have French nationality as you were I assume born in Tunisia you should be able to claim the same nationality. I understand Tunisia does not recognise dual nationality so if you claimed French if possible you may have to give up your Tunisian nationality. Not 100% I hope someone else can clarify more...

YOLO

For example I am British if I gave birth to my son in Germany he could have dual nationality German as he was born there and British through me. So if your mother was born in France she could have French nationality as you were I assume born in Tunisia you should be able to claim the same nationality. I understand Tunisia does not recognise dual nationality so if you claimed French if possible you may have to give up your Tunisian nationality. Not 100% I hope someone else can clarify more...
Oh yeah i understand , yes i was born in tunisia

but i have two cousins who were born in France ,
so far they have dual citizenship , tunisian and frensh ( by birth ) and no problem
who gives a sh*t ? lol

Trulymadlydeeply

Just makes it easier to travel I suppose if you obtained a French passport. If you wanted to travel that is....