Need Tips: Travelling toTunis

manjeethmv

Hi All,

I'am travelling to Tunis in May for 3 days, have few questions please guide. I'am travelling for the first time to Tunis and alone.
  • i dont know french, arabic, Can we manage with people in English? like Taxi drivers, resturants etc.,
  • Hotel: Safe and good hotels to stay near to Ben Arous.
  • Places to see in 3 days

other suggestions/tips if any which would help me. Thanks in adavance

lynn

English is spoken very well in Tunisia, hotels are safe can't help you with the area I have never been there before..have a great time :)

manjeethmv

Thanks Lynn! :)

Any suggestion for hotels? and any travel tips would be great! :)

Essem

Staff member
Hi manjeethmv and welcome to the forum.

I don't have first hand knowledge of hotels in Ben Arous but on Booking.com there are 3 coming up for that area that might be worth a look.

http://www.booking.com/region/tn/ben-arous.en.html

Hotel Ezzahra Dar Tunis
Adresse : Av. Habib THAMEUR EZZAHRA BEN AROUS
Tél : 71450788
Fax : 71452625
E-mail : [email protected]

Caribbean World Borj Cedria
Zone Touristique Bp 47, Hammam-Plage

SunBeach Resort
Zone Touristique Bp 47, Hammam-Plage

Reviews of the hotels will come up if you google each one.

Hope this helps.

Aslemma

I stayed at the Caribbean World Borj Cedria for a weekend some years ago when I went out for a wedding. The hotel itself was quite pleasant but there is nothing in the area itself apart from a couple of hotels. There are no local shops except a couple which are owned by the hotel so prices tend to be higher than elsewhere.

Getting around Tunisia is very cheap, particularly trains and buses. With taxis, either ask the price first then 'negotiate' (haggle) or insist the meter is put on. You must have a look round the Medina in Tunis but remember not to pay the first price asked (or the second or third) - once again - HAGGLE. 'la, gahli barcha' means 'no, too much'. The Bardot Museum is well worth a visit, as is Sidi Bou Said. both easy to get to from Tunis.
The train timetable here is in French but can be translated:

http://www.fahrplancenter.com/HorairesSNCFThiver.html

manjeethmv

Thanks a ton Essem and Aslemma! :)

manjeethmv

i have booked Caribbean World Borj Cedria :)

Essem

Staff member
Enjoy your trip to Tunisia manjeethmv.

Remember to let us know how it goes and what you think of the hotel.

Aslemma

Hope you have a great time. The weather should be nice and there is plenty to do in and around Tunis, depending on your particular interests. If you like history Carthage is well worth a visit but as you've only got three days don't try and do too much on this trip. You can always go back, as so many of us do, again and again and again. :D

Incidentally, feel free to use my name in Tunisia - Aslemma means "Hello" :)

Jack Alan

Before to leave house you must keep these tips in mind like,
Keep all the necessary documents,
Plan tour according to budget,
Keep normal clothes,
Get important info relate to traveled point,
Arrive before to specific time,
Tell someone about your plan.

exhibition booth

Aslemma

Keep normal clothes,.
I think that rather depends on what his normal clothes are. He might look somewhat out of place in a pin-striped suit and bowler hat in Tunis. :D

gem15

Before to leave house you must keep these tips in mind like,
Keep all the necessary documents,
Plan tour according to budget,
Keep normal clothes,
Get important info relate to traveled point,
Arrive before to specific time,
Tell someone about your plan.
This point doesnt count in Tunisia :D

Aslemma

I've found that trains usually do depart on the scheduled time. Everything (and everyone) else works on Tunisian native time, which is whenever they get round to it. :rolleyes:

Jane BM

Think the thing is us Brits anyway are generally such sticklers for punctuality and time keeping (I know I am), that we just cannot comprehend how someone can say a time and NOT MEAN IT!!! Lol...

Essem

Staff member
It's called 'Rendezvous Arab'!

One person told me that he'd gone to a meeting in Tunis scheduled for 8 am but arrived at 9 am. When asked about arriving late, he said he had to come from Sousse!!!!!!!!!!!! They just don't get the concept of respecting other peoples' time. No thought about leaving earlier 'just in case' of traffic etc

Milk

I traveled to Tunisia by my self for 5 weeks. You'll love it!! Just google attractions in Tunis. I recommend going to see Dugga and the Bardo Museum for sure. You can catch the train ealy which will take you to Carthage, Sidi, La Marsa all in one day. I left the hotel at 9 and didn't come back till 10 at night. The train from beginning to end is 30 min long.

When your driving in the larouges or taxies just close your eyes and enjoy the ride...there crazy!! :)

I learned a bit of french which helped to understand. Mainly, I had the front desk man write in Arabic where I was going on a piece of paper. Trust me, not everyone can speak or understand English in Tunis. Others will help you if they see that your needing help or just ask someone who speaks english

Only carry what your willing to spend for that day and always keep your money in the hotel safe. If your going to barder, when buying something, then only pull out the amount of money your willing to spend and smile.

If your catching the train, make sure you know where your going and have someone write down on paper, the trains you need to catch to arrive at your destinations, before leaving the hotel.

Get to know the money on the first day, this will make your job easier but no one will rip you off (my experiance anyway)

:) Here in Canada, we call it "Indian Time"

Unlesss your willing to go on a date with someone...say no to coffee!!! But do take up offers for when someone wants to show you around their town, I called them my gaudian angels (do follow your gut instinct on this one)

O-My!! I sure miss Tunisia. Especially now when the weather is so much nicer and I'm stuck in snow and only plus 10 weather. I look at my picture of my sunrise and only wish...

Enjoy your trip!!!

Jane BM

Some great tips Raindrops...

manjeethmv

Another help friends...

Flight arrives in Tunis at 11:30 nite, suggestion for travelling from Airport to Caribbean World Borj Cedria? is it safer? i don't mind staying at Airport whole night. do the hotel have any transportation arrangement (though mailed them no response till date :( )

Jane BM

Another help friends...

Flight arrives in Tunis at 11:30 nite, suggestion for travelling from Airport to Caribbean World Borj Cedria? is it safer? i don't mind staying at Airport whole night. do the hotel have any transportation arrangement (though mailed them no response till date :( )
There are loads of taxis outside the airport....no need to stay at the airport overnight...or you could try and arrange a transfer before you fly with your holiday operator?

Essem

Staff member
Another help friends...

Try come of the transer companies like transfers4u.com and medhotels.com - there's a list on here somewhere.

They are cheap and fairly reliable.