New businesses in Tunisia

huttan

Wish I did know some more about the rules for having a buissness company in Tunisia...I have an idea that I could possibly run from a studio or at home...but to do all right and not doing something wrong **gahh**Been thinking for years to start up something-but then to the boring parts with papers,licens,taxes etc...and get it all together. I wish there wore people who could fix that part-its quite enough to take care of a company and make it running ok. I know absolutely nothing and my buissness echonomic education doesnt mean I get it much better than others any way hahaha...:rolleyes:;)

Jane BM

Wish I did know some more about the rules for having a buissness company in Tunisia...I have an idea that I could possibly run from a studio or at home...but to do all right and not doing something wrong **gahh**Been thinking for years to start up something-but then to the boring parts with papers,licens,taxes etc...and get it all together. I wish there wore people who could fix that part-its quite enough to take care of a company and make it running ok. I know absolutely nothing and my buissness echonomic education doesnt mean I get it much better than others any way hahaha...:rolleyes:;)
I know that feeling....lol....guess it could be daunting...i just want to spend the next couple of years trying to understand it all so that when its time to take the plunge that i understand what we are doing....:confused:

Scottochott

Rules for businesses in Tunisia? I wish I knew! Unfortunately there is no one place to go for the answers.

Tunis and Sousse both have an ATP ( I think that's what it's called!) office which can give some advice, and a good accountant or lawyer will also point you in the right direction.

For a smaller home based operation I think you are pretty much free of regulation, and if it is mainly cash based you don't need to worry too much about records and taxes! Not sure that's strictly official advice but I know plenty of smaller businesses which operate on a very informal basis.

You'll never know if you don't try

huttan

What Im thinking of is a small tattoo studio or maybe just doing it from home to begin with...and maybe develop it to a bigger studio if the interrest is good enough.:) If developing good I could be thinking about hire people later...I have also been concidering courses of learning it out to make people able to start up their own buissness(but of course with some paragrafs for not being in the same area...no one wants to compete with them selves)

But in this might come rules and regulations about health care? I have rally no idea...not good to do something wrong in an arabic country-have seen prisons on photos thats enough thank you...haha:eek::D

The ATP sounds like a good advice...and maybe talk it over with a good lawyer before starting up.

Dont know how well the idea might work out...but tattoos is harem for tunisians (?) so might just be the tourist who has the most interrest in this? Its just an idea...

Jane BM

What Im thinking of is a small tattoo studio or maybe just doing it from home to begin with...and maybe develop it to a bigger studio if the interrest is good enough.:) If developing good I could be thinking about hire people later...I have also been concidering courses of learning it out to make people able to start up their own buissness(but of course with some paragrafs for not being in the same area...no one wants to compete with them selves)

But in this might come rules and regulations about health care? I have rally no idea...not good to do something wrong in an arabic country-have seen prisons on photos thats enough thank you...haha:eek::D

The ATP sounds like a good advice...and maybe talk it over with a good lawyer before starting up.

Dont know how well the idea might work out...but tattoos is harem for tunisians (?) so might just be the tourist who has the most interrest in this? Its just an idea...
Yes i think it is harem to muslims....i have 2 myself so id come to you if i wanted another....;)

gem15

In newer areas thats an option but even holes in the walls in the older places like Bizerte have a fc.

The other issue is the 2 years needed to get FC so your protected from a crazy landlord.

The FC system is good in the way you cannot get kicked out. A cafe is a large(ish) investment one which needs security passed 2 years which no doubt you have considered.
With the holes in walls its not called a FC its called a bad port (dont know if thats the right spelling but it sounds like that) its not as much as FC and is more flexible. Our landlord was asking for this but we managed to get round it and never paid a penny. We also had a water tight contract with an excellent lawyer in Monastir.

daffodil

Can someone tell me what FC is....?

Scottochott

FC is fond de commerce. It means it is an established business and comes with various benefits (perhaps someone who knows more can explain!), but it also comes at a significant cost

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
The most direct translation is goodwill but its a bit more than that.

For example a valuable FC is for a working business but in Tunisia this does not usually happen as people dont like to sell unless it fails or they need the money for something else.

Once a business has been trading for 2 years or so it has the right of a fond de commerce and the value comes from the rate of the rent+the difficulty in finding a lcoation.

for example you have a 5% rent review each year after the fc this contract might last forever like this so a few 6-10 percent inflation years see you have a indefinate contract with a below market rent.....ergo value there

Or like many cases there is not any value in the FC and they are just trying to get you to pay to rent.

The perfect FC is one that gives you security of tenure and a rent you can afford but normally once you add estate agent fees etc on (its treated as a sale) it all becomes very expensive very quickly.

A common tactic is to go into a desirable location pay the rent for two years and then try and sell the FC and not pay the rent.

daffodil

Thank you for the explaination Kris

Scottochott

The most direct translation is goodwill but its a bit more than that.

For example a valuable FC is for a working business but in Tunisia this does not usually happen as people dont like to sell unless it fails or they need the money for something else.

Once a business has been trading for 2 years or so it has the right of a fond de commerce and the value comes from the rate of the rent+the difficulty in finding a lcoation.

for example you have a 5% rent review each year after the fc this contract might last forever like this so a few 6-10 percent inflation years see you have a indefinate contract with a below market rent.....ergo value there

Or like many cases there is not any value in the FC and they are just trying to get you to pay to rent.

The perfect FC is one that gives you security of tenure and a rent you can afford but normally once you add estate agent fees etc on (its treated as a sale) it all becomes very expensive very quickly.

A common tactic is to go into a desirable location pay the rent for two years and then try and sell the FC and not pay the rent.
Thanks Kris, so can you clarify how to obtain an FC in a new business, after you've traded for 2years who do you apply to and what is the process? Can you then set your own terms for it to sell on? How do you arrive at a valuation?

Essem

Staff member
Rules for businesses in Tunisia? I wish I knew! Unfortunately there is no one place to go for the answers.

Tunis and Sousse both have an ATP ( I think that's what it's called!) office which can give some advice, and a good accountant or lawyer will also point you in the right direction.

For a smaller home based operation I think you are pretty much free of regulation, and if it is mainly cash based you don't need to worry too much about records and taxes! Not sure that's strictly official advice but I know plenty of smaller businesses which operate on a very informal basis.

You'll never know if you don't try

API

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Kris, so can you clarify how to obtain an FC in a new business, after you've traded for 2years who do you apply to and what is the process? Can you then set your own terms for it to sell on? How do you arrive at a valuation?
It should be granted automatically though many landlords try to avoid this via 1 year contracts and kicking people out before this period.

Your local lawyer will advise.

Chriss

I would recommend to go on with a online business like B2B or B2C