New English language requirement for partners

So, this test.... It's across the board, right?? EVERY foreign national (Algerian, Tunisian, Indian, etc) will need to reach certain English Language requirements??

Hbrown1

Banned
Hi,

When hubby came here he didn't have to do any english test, but he does have to do the life in the uk test.

Just to let you know the 2010 book is out on the shelves. xx xx

aljaye

So, this test.... It's across the board, right?? EVERY foreign national (Algerian, Tunisian, Indian, etc) will need to reach certain English Language requirements??
Any country where English isnt considered a first languae, theres a list on the website.
Does make me laugh tho, these poor guys have to go and do this test and we have such a high level of illiteracy amongst our own population. Dai Bando who never took a single exam and hasnt workedd a day in his life can marry Nessa Normal at seventeen have a hundred kids and the state will pay for them all to grow up and be just like their parents..but can a man come and live here with his wife if he hasnt got a certain level of English no of course he cant..lets face it its far too late to "keep britain british" so why cant they just play fair!

newtosousse

Dai Bando and Nessa Normal, are going to have to make some changes with this new budget. The cuts that are coming are going to make a difference.

Soltef

Dai Bando and Nessa Normal, are going to have to make some changes with this new budget. The cuts that are coming are going to make a difference.
Yep,they sure will!Good old Tories,eh!

kaylee_bou_absa

Hey all hope your all well, i have not managed to get on here for a while have been so busy working... So this new speaking test what is classed as being able passed? Is it just general english? Is it going to be proper english? I mean many of the english people i know speak with a lot of slang terms...
Is this only required for a settlement visa or also a visitor visa? xxxx

Soltef

Hey all hope your all well, i have not managed to get on here for a while have been so busy working... So this new speaking test what is classed as being able passed? Is it just general english? Is it going to be proper english? I mean many of the english people i know speak with a lot of slang terms...
Is this only required for a settlement visa or also a visitor visa? xxxx
Let's face it,a lot of (BBC) TV presenters too don't speak good/proper English these days!Shocking!Let's all get tested shall we-by the Queeen herself -and get a knighthood if we pass(well,they seem to be dished more readily nowadayas,lol)!

kaylee_bou_absa

Yeah i agree soltef lol.. Thats what i mean though, my husband speaks good english but he speaks like i speak and i from essex so enough said lol xxx

Soltef

Yeah i agree soltef lol.. Thats what i mean though, my husband speaks good english but he speaks like i speak and i from essex so enough said lol xxx
Oh he'll be (well) fine,lol!As in no one will understand him,haha!!

kaylee_bou_absa

Ha ha ha ha exactly lol.. Ahh well he has a while till we apply for the settement visa so we will have to get him up to scratch and ready as if he going for tea with the queen... Does this apply for visitor visa hun? xxx

aljaye

Hi hun
From what Ive read its anyone coming to stay with a spouse. even a visitor visa if they are coming to stay with you (daft so theyll let a general visitor in who cant,,,ummmm..)
have a look at the below address...
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/features/englishlanguagetestforpartners
Its being brough in FROM the Autumn and the immigration rules havent been implemented (or decided on probably) yet, but a start from date and any news will be posted on the above link when it happens.
As you can see its basic spoken English only I think they will use an adaption of A1 as that includes written and they will set the test centres. But all they ask for is basic phrases and lets face it most of our husbands and boyfriends are used to conversing with us so can do the hello how are you etc with no problems!xx

Aussiegal

why the devil are they going to stop visitors if they cant speak english good lord lots of revenue lost then me thinks and i think we have had one of these systems for a long time hence aus being one of the hardest countries to get into mind you how many of the people here speak any english at all is hilarious so how they make it so hard for me is a wonder they must have all got in before this was implemented

sianperkins89

well the thing is they make visitors from outside the EU have all these requirements. what about visitors and people coming to settle here inside the EU! many of them don't or won't speak english either and they are likely to spend more time in the UK, working or living etc. why is it always one rule for some people and another for the rest?!

L

Lissy

well the thing is they make visitors from outside the EU have all these requirements. what about visitors and people coming to settle here inside the EU! many of them don't or won't speak english either and they are likely to spend more time in the UK, working or living etc. why is it always one rule for some people and another for the rest?!
It is the law in the EU that there are no language tests. That means if you want to go to Poland, Denmark or Sweden to live or work you do not have to learn the language and nor does your spouse.

It is not just a rule that we here in Britain have to put up with. Personally I think it is a rule that has not been thought through. Wherever I have lived, I have spoken enough of the language to live and, in most cases, work too. I am an advocate of bringing in a language test throughout the EU/EEA/Switzerland if you want to be a resident.

L

Lissy

why the devil are they going to stop visitors if they cant speak english good lord lots of revenue lost then me thinks
It is not for visitors but for people wanting to become resident here in the UK eg settlement or work visas as far as I know.

kaylee_bou_absa

Is it 100% not for visitors lissy? As the way it was worder on the website looks s though it is..??

I think it is really unfair, i mean i just went to my local shop to buy a drink and the man who served me did not speak english... I think if they are going to put this rule in then the should have thought it through more and not jus outside the EU but to all conutries where english is not the main language xxx

L

Lissy

Is it 100% not for visitors lissy? As the way it was worder on the website looks s though it is..??

I think it is really unfair, i mean i just went to my local shop to buy a drink and the man who served me did not speak english... I think if they are going to put this rule in then the should have thought it through more and not jus outside the EU but to all conutries where english is not the main language xxx
We are not allowed to make EU members take an English test, it is EU law which we have to adhere to. If the UK break this, it can be challenged in the ECJ and no doubt the country will have to pay a large fine which will go into the pockets of the EU - not a nice thought. Anyway, here is what Reuters are saying:

Immigrants from outside the European Union who marry British citizens and move to the UK will need to take a compulsory English language test first, under plans fast-tracked by the government on Wednesday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6581GR20100609

There is NO WAY that any government of any country would expect visitors to the country to speak English before they were allowed in. Visitors have nothing to do with immigration as they leave again. The government is trying to cap the number of people coming here to settle and for those that do come, they are trying to help them integrate into society. Whether or not this test is the right way of doing it can be debated by many and no doubt will be.

I, personally, think there is absolutely nothing wrong with those people wanting to settle here needing to be able to speak basic English. Having worked in the translation/interpretation business I know what sums the British government ie YOU AND ME are paying in getting brochures translated into foreign languages and having interpretors at the ready for those who cannot speak English. As far as I am aware we are the only country in Europe that does this. Think about it...yes, it might cost you a little to get the test done but if it saves the tax payers millions long term we will all be better off.

Off my hobby horse now :eek::D

kaylee_bou_absa

We are not allowed to make EU members take an English test, it is EU law which we have to adhere to. If the UK break this, it can be challenged in the ECJ and no doubt the country will have to pay a large fine which will go into the pockets of the EU - not a nice thought. Anyway, here is what Reuters are saying:

Immigrants from outside the European Union who marry British citizens and move to the UK will need to take a compulsory English language test first, under plans fast-tracked by the government on Wednesday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6581GR20100609

There is NO WAY that any government of any country would expect visitors to the country to speak English before they were allowed in. Visitors have nothing to do with immigration as they leave again. The government is trying to cap the number of people coming here to settle and for those that do come, they are trying to help them integrate into society. Whether or not this test is the right way of doing it can be debated by many and no doubt will be.

I, personally, think there is absolutely nothing wrong with those people wanting to settle here needing to be able to speak basic English. Having worked in the translation/interpretation business I know what sums the British government ie YOU AND ME are paying in getting brochures translated into foreign languages and having interpretors at the ready for those who cannot speak English. As far as I am aware we are the only country in Europe that does this. Think about it...yes, it might cost you a little to get the test done but if it saves the tax payers millions long term we will all be better off.

Off my hobby horse now :eek::D
Aahh bless you!! Nah i agree that anybody who wants to come settle should speak basic english like if anybody was to move abroad they ahould speak the basic first language of the country they settle in.. But will this mean that all those already here who dont speak english will have to take test?? Surely thats only fair as i know where i live there are many people who dont speak english and from outside the EU....

xxxxxx

skele

Agree to a certain extent but the best way to learn a language used to be to go and live there for a while. Although a lot of people do come to Britain and not bother to learn. Putting signs up in Polish etc. is a bit ridiculous.
Having said all that, I've been stuck in Tune is ear for 3 and a half months and speak about 20 words of Arabic. Hipocracy anyone?!!!! :p

L

Lissy

Agree to a certain extent but the best way to learn a language used to be to go and live there for a while. Although a lot of people do come to Britain and not bother to learn. Putting signs up in Polish etc. is a bit ridiculous.
Having said all that, I've been stuck in Tune is ear for 3 and a half months and speak about 20 words of Arabic. Hipocracy anyone?!!!! :p
Lol Skele!! I lived there for 13 months and my French improved no end as did my Arabic but believe it or not, my Arabic has got better since hubby and I have started living in the UK - go figure!!

The best way to learn a language is to live there BUT everyone should have enough to go shopping on their own and at least do the basics necessary in any country. Why should anyone rely on the fact that their language is spoken or catered for in a foreign country (unless they are a tourist :D)