New English language requirement for partners

sianperkins89

i don't see the fairness though. who is to say that a tunisian needs to speak english before they can live and work here but a polish (for example as they seem to be the majority in britain) person does not have to speak english to be allowed to live and work here! it's not fair to be honest. what makes a polish non english speaker any more adapted to britain than a tunisian non english speaker! they both come from different countries and cultures, neither of which have any british influence.

L

Lissy

Sian it has nothing to do with being fair...it has to do with the laws that govern the decision. If you marry a national from a country that is not in the EEA/EU area then they come under national immigration laws. If you marry an EU national then that it governed by EU laws and these state that NO language test is necessary and in fact it is illegal for the country to demand one.

As the EU has freedom of movement for all EU nationals and they have a right to have their spouses with them wherever they might live in the EU, the spouse MUST be treated as if s/he is an EU national UNLESS they think the marriage is one of convience or that the partner has criminal (terrorist) intent.

Sadly there is nothing we can do about it - you could try contacting your Euro MP and see what they have to say.

sianperkins89

i see, thanks for the explanation.
well it doesn't affect me personally as luckily my fiancé can speak good english and studied it....i was just stating how it is unfair, especially for those of us here whose husbands/boyfriends who may have not studied english at school and may not speak it that well that's all, they have just picked it up as they went along. good luck to us all though, hopefully they won't put the boundaries too high or it will just cause more obstacles for us all.

Soltef

i see, thanks for the explanation.
well it doesn't affect me personally as luckily my fiancé can speak good english and studied it....i was just stating how it is unfair, especially for those of us here whose husbands/boyfriends who may have not studied english at school and may not speak it that well that's all, they have just picked it up as they went along. good luck to us all though, hopefully they won't put the boundaries too high or it will just cause more obstacles for us all.
Oh,there will be more boundaries/obstacles-this is just the start!

Hi All.

I hope you are all well. Its been a while since I have visited the forums.

Apologies if I have missed a posting elsewhere but I am looking for some further information in regards to the requirements for my wife to be with me in the UK. She speaks relatively conversant English already as she has been in the UK with me over the last 2 years but, I was wondering if anyone can recommend an accredited establishement in the Sousse area that will assist her in ensuring she has the necessary levels required to take test. Following this, please can someone confirm that she can then apply to take the test via the British Council in Tunis? Is this (should she pass) timebound in regards to an application for a settlement visa? We were recently rejected for our spouse visa and are currently in the appeals process, but we would like to reinforce our appeal application by showing that she has a comprehension of English (and with the time involved in the current appeal process the Tribunal hearing and decision could well be after November 2010, when the test becomes a mandatory requirement!).
Thanks in anticipation

http://www.britishcouncil.org/tunisia-exams1-adults-2.htm

this is the test thay ur partner need to pass, it cost 195 dinars its the only test that is recognized by the british embassy in tunisia, so if ur partner english level isn't that good he need to have lessons there at least 40 hours so he can have an A1 level,
i m booking my test for 17 july cause i belive my english level is fine but who knows if im good enought so maybe ill meet one of ur husbands or wifes there ;) cheers
Hi,im just enquiring for my friend,she has married a Tunisian and wants to know does he have to pass an English exam before he comes to England.If so,how much does it cost and where do you go to take the exam. Im married to a Tunisian but the laws have changed so much since we were married,i am unable to help her.

salim

Hi,im just enquiring for my friend,she has married a Tunisian and wants to know does he have to pass an English exam before he comes to England.If so,how much does it cost and where do you go to take the exam. Im married to a Tunisian but the laws have changed so much since we were married,i am unable to help her.
Sure with the new rules he must pass the UK life test and has a good level in English ,he should book an appointment to pass the test and other things she can take a look on the UK border agency to check the new rules

Jane BM

If she checks the UKBA website under settlement visas it'll give a list of the tests that are acceptable. My husband took the IELTS, there's also the KET test. Go to the British council website which will give a list of dates etc that they are held in Tunisia.