On a spouse visa how many months can be spent outside the UK

bascar

does anyone know the answer please. I thought it was 90 days per year but have just been told that its 90 for the 33months :(

Trulymadlydeeply

Why the sad face bascar? Surely 3 months is more than ample. Hopefully if working wouldn't be allowed that much even..

bascar

I am used to going to Tunisia every month or so on holiday ...I want to go for a month next year in the summer...we are going for 18 days soon and two weeks at christmas ... it soon adds up ... and I also want us to go other europeon countries ... this is my reason for asking ... I like to holiday a lot .... and we work for ourselves ...

Trulymadlydeeply

Small sacrifice for 33 months I'm sure you will manage it. Lots of lovely places to visit in the Uk you can still have your holidays :)

bascar

Thanks truly but I was merely asking which is the correct fact 90 days a year or 90 days over 33 months? .... amongst other things the weather isnt the same in the uk ...and that can be done at weekends.
Do you know is it per year or over the period of the visa?

Trulymadlydeeply

Sorry I really can't help you as I did it many moons ago (1997) back then you just had to spend more time in the Uk than out of it. You are right about the weather too :( Also back then got ILR after 12 months!!!! How it's changed..

Jane BM

I've just trawled through the site...and had a look at requirements for FLR, can't see it...I've not had to do this myself because we did the 'old regs', however I do know that when it comes to citizenship for my husband which he'll be eligible for in a few months you cannot have spent more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to application abroad or 270 in the last 3 years.

Think you may need to curb the jollies abroad for a while Bascar and play safe....lol...:D

missmetal

Wow its changed. When i was on my ILR, I know that if i spent more that 2yrs out of the country I would loose it. Therefore I could work in Europe if i wanted to on contracts but no more than 2yrs.

The way you have stated it now Jane is similar to Canada. In order to keep your residency, you need to have been resident in canada for 2yrs or X amount of days (equaling 2yrs) in a 5yr period.

My folks are in fact living between SA and Canada and spending just short of 6 months a year here.

Jane BM

Wow its changed. When i was on my ILR, I know that if i spent more that 2yrs out of the country I would loose it. Therefore I could work in Europe if i wanted to on contracts but no more than 2yrs.

The way you have stated it now Jane is similar to Canada. In order to keep your residency, you need to have been resident in canada for 2yrs or X amount of days (equaling 2yrs) in a 5yr period.

My folks are in fact living between SA and Canada and spending just short of 6 months a year here.
That's not changed MM, if you've got ILR here, like Aymen and then you spend more than 2 years out of the country, you COULD lose your ILR status, and may have to reapply, unless you can prove you still have ties to the UK, or have been working abroad or your BRitish spouse has etc....so there is room for manoeuvre.

Those figures above are for if you apply for citizenship, a lot of people will have ILR for years and years before they apply for citizenship, but they can't if they spend more than that time out of the country in the years prior.

Hope that's not as clear as mud...lol

Jellycat

Have you tried downloading the current Flr form and seeing what information you have to put in. You could also trying trawling through the Immigration rules - quite laborious .

Jane BM

Lol...I started doing that JC, then I started losing the will to live!! :confused:....couldn't find anything specific.

Jellycat

Yes those Rules are a nightmare but a google search just came up with a useful page on the web :lawontheweb.co.uk - sorry can't do hyperlink on my iPad - says 90 days in the last year and 270 in the last 3 years under rules on settlement

bascar

Thanks Jelly cat ... i have found the page and did a search on rules on non eu settlement and cant seem to find anything ??

bascar

Think you may need to curb the jollies abroad for a while Bascar and play safe....lol...:D
ha ha ha ... I hope I dont have to ... I need them now I have a full time husband !!! lol

bascar

Lol...I started doing that JC, then I started losing the will to live!! :confused:....couldn't find anything specific.
me too Jane ... think I might just call the solicitor .....

bascar

Thanks very much Jellycat that has worked a treat ... and I read it the same as you... so it means I can have more holidays ... woo hoo

Jane BM

Thanks very much Jellycat that has worked a treat ... and I read it the same as you... so it means I can have more holidays ... woo hoo
It quotes the same as I did further up, remember though that's for citizenship...which was what I found....NOT up until FLR....