Paperwork required for grandchildren

alison

I recently collected my two young grandsons from England and brought them over for the summer holidays. The eldest of the two had been to Tunisia on 2 separate occasions and we had never had any problems at the airport, so I didn't anticipate any this time. How wrong I was, when we arrived the check in assistant asked if the boys were his children as he wasn't travelling with us. He explained that they were our grandsons and that you could see in their passports the date they had entered Tunisia for their holiday from the UK. We were then told they could not travel as they were Tunisian children and they could not leave the country without their fathers consent. Both of the boys have a Tunisian surname, blond hair and blue eyes and look nothing like Tunisians, their father took my husbands name after we had been married a number of years. We explained this but they still said no, we asked to speak to the airline representative who had never heard of grandparents with children being stopped before. We were then advised to wait and speak to the Chief of Police, who came a while later, all the while the clock was ticking and the flight was on time. We explained our situation to the Chief of Police and after about 30 minutes of walking around the airport and calling different people he agreed to let us fly. Relievedwe went to customs control and were told again that we could not leave the country. By this time I was beginning to panic as the flight left in 30 minutes, I tried to explain that they both had British passports and lived in England, this was his reply to me “shut up, when I want you to speak I will tell your husband, get you embassy and tell them I am not letting you leave the airport”, At this point I just burst into tears, another man lead me into a room, they were not impressed that I was upset in front of the other passengers. It was then agreed that if my husband signed a declaration stating that they were allowed to leave the country and was finger printed they would let us go. We made the flight with about 2 minutes to spare. The requirements in the future is a signed letter by the father of the children, although with the countries love of stamps I guess it would need it stamping. I am not sure how you would get it stamped in England but that will be next years project.

Jane BM

I recently collected my two young grandsons from England and brought them over for the summer holidays. The eldest of the two had been to Tunisia on 2 separate occasions and we had never had any problems at the airport, so I didn't anticipate any this time. How wrong I was, when we arrived the check in assistant asked if the boys were his children as he wasn't travelling with us. He explained that they were our grandsons and that you could see in their passports the date they had entered Tunisia for their holiday from the UK. We were then told they could not travel as they were Tunisian children and they could not leave the country without their fathers consent. Both of the boys have a Tunisian surname, blond hair and blue eyes and look nothing like Tunisians, their father took my husbands name after we had been married a number of years. We explained this but they still said no, we asked to speak to the airline representative who had never heard of grandparents with children being stopped before. We were then advised to wait and speak to the Chief of Police, who came a while later, all the while the clock was ticking and the flight was on time. We explained our situation to the Chief of Police and after about 30 minutes of walking around the airport and calling different people he agreed to let us fly. Relievedwe went to customs control and were told again that we could not leave the country. By this time I was beginning to panic as the flight left in 30 minutes, I tried to explain that they both had British passports and lived in England, this was his reply to me “shut up, when I want you to speak I will tell your husband, get you embassy and tell them I am not letting you leave the airport”, At this point I just burst into tears, another man lead me into a room, they were not impressed that I was upset in front of the other passengers. It was then agreed that if my husband signed a declaration stating that they were allowed to leave the country and was finger printed they would let us go. We made the flight with about 2 minutes to spare. The requirements in the future is a signed letter by the father of the children, although with the countries love of stamps I guess it would need it stamping. I am not sure how you would get it stamped in England but that will be next years project.
I'm a little confused....does the children's father have Tunisian nationality? If so then yes, regardless of where he lives and whether he also has s British passport you'd need written authority from him that the children can leave tunisia.

Any child that is borne of a Tunisian legally in Tunisia IS tunisian, regardless of whether they have a British passport or not. As for getting stamped authority, the only place I can imagine you'd get this in England is at the Tunisian embassy in London.

Essem

Staff member
The children's father/Alison's son is British, 'their father took my husbands name after we had been married a number of years'.

So British person changes his name when mum remarries, then, in time, he has children who take his surname which is Tunisian but they are all British.

gem15

Am I right in thinking your son isn't your husbands son? He just took his name?

Unfortunately they only have to see the surname to cause problems.

Jane BM

So they wouldn't be entitled to a Tunisian passport anyway then? How ridiculous...

I'd just ensure that you carried their birth certificates with them as well, which showed that both parents were British, possibly their parents as well??

alison

I'm a little confused....does the children's father have Tunisian nationality? If so then yes, regardless of where he lives and whether he also has s British passport you'd need written authority from him that the children can leave tunisia.

Any child that is borne of a Tunisian legally in Tunisia IS tunisian, regardless of whether they have a British passport or not. As for getting stamped authority, the only place I can imagine you'd get this in England is at the Tunisian embassy in London.

Yes that's right Gemma

Hi, no my son is from my previous marriage, he took my husband name when he was 16.

alison

Very true Gemma,

alison

So they wouldn't be entitled to a Tunisian passport anyway then? How ridiculous...

I'd just ensure that you carried their birth certificates with them as well, which showed that both parents were British, possibly their parents as well??
That's a good idea, thanks

Mrs H

When Enfidha first opened we were stopped on our way home and my husband was told never to let me travel alone with our son or they wouldn't let me take him out of the country. My husband said that if I was travelling alone he would give me a letter to carry with me. The security man told him not to take the risk. Even with a letter they can make it very difficult for you. I guess as usual the exchange of a certain amount of dinars would get you onto the flight.

ROULLA

Hi Alison, what an awful experience it must have been for you all.
I presume that you informed them that you're son had in fact changed his name by depoll.
Has your son got a Tunisian passport himself ?
The reason I ask is because your son would have had to produce his birth certificate to enable him to get a passport. And the other reason that I am asking is if your son has a Tunisian passport then they would expect his children to also have one as it's all on the system.
My children DON'T have one as I refuse, in my eyes they are British. I know that one day I will get pulled up on this but I will have to deal with it when it happens.

Trulymadlydeeply

Yes Mrs H I had the letter in June and was stopped for ages due to their incompetence!! Vile those at passport control, definitely all need training!!

alison

Hi Alison, what an awful experience it must have been for you all.
I presume that you informed them that you're son had in fact changed his name by depoll.
Has your son got a Tunisian passport himself ?
The reason I ask is because your son would have had to produce his birth certificate to enable him to get a passport. And the other reason that I am asking is if your son has a Tunisian passport then they would expect his children to also have one as it's all on the system.
My children DON'T have one as I refuse, in my eyes they are British. I know that one day I will get pulled up on this but I will have to deal with it when it happens.
Hi, He changed his name by de-poll, so his birth certificate has his original name, he has never applied for a Tunisian passport although they told us at the airport that he could and it would solve future problems, not sure I believe them.

ROULLA

Hi, He changed his name by de-poll, so his birth certificate has his original name, he has never applied for a Tunisian passport although they told us at the airport that he could and it would solve future problems, not sure I believe them.
Good morning hope that you are well!
To be honest with you, information given out in Tunisia is not always what it seems and unless I see it in black and white on paper then I wouldn't believe them. I'd tell you to ask the Embassy but there useless in my OPINION.

alison

Good morning hope that you are well!
To be honest with you, information given out in Tunisia is not always what it seems and unless I see it in black and white on paper then I wouldn't believe them. I'd tell you to ask the Embassy but there useless in my OPINION.
From my experience it depends who you speak to and what mood they are in lol

leigh

I have to say that i agree, in that the embassy are not particularly helpful and that the information they give is confusing