Passport Validity?

Pubgirl

Please can somebody confirm how much validity needs to be on your passport when visiting Tunisia?

The Foreign Office website says that it needs to be valid for the duration of your visit but First Choice say 6 months (although they say 6 months for all dstinations).

Thanks in advance!

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

I know how you feel you look at all these websites and find conflicting stories! Your passport has to be valid for the entire stay. Is your passport due to expire soon? if it expires within 6 months and you have enough time to renew it, then I would say to do that just in case.

But I can talk from experience on this one with passports as I have just spent 3 days in Tunis getting my passport sorted out at the police station for a very long overstay ;) what I have learnt do not worry too much as Tunisia really is not as strict as many countries (the exact words from the police officer!). When you arrive in Tunis, you will be required to fill in a little visa for your stay depending on how long you intend to visit for. The maximum stay in Tunisia is for 3 months.

Pubgirl

Hi, thanks for your speedy reply!!:)

We fly out next sunday for a week. My partners passport expires at the beginning of April so it has 5 and a half months left on it. We are hoping this will be fine as he is mad busy at work and cannot really afford time off to go and sort it! :cool:

kellyc

Hi

Hi ya,

No probs all I can say is it should be fine, having had an experience with passports and staying longer than I should in Tunisia and spending a few days at the police station dealing with the immigration, you cant go on anything these websites say ive certainly learnt that - all they worry about it the visa card you get, normally given to you on the airplane if your lucky if not you just fill it out at the airport and it just have your holiday details on it. Try not to worry so much I know thats easier said than done but it should be ok. Enjoy your holiday.

Pubgirl

Thanks for you replies.

I had a similar experience 2 years ago as I only had 2 months left on my passport. We were going to Rhodes and I had read that you needed 3 months validity on some sites. Contacted embassy and was told it was fine so not too bothered this time.

I am looking forward to a visiting a new destination etc. Was the weather good when you were there recently? Got the sun cream at the ready:)

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

Yes I remember the same thing when I went to Cyprus we ran around trying to renew the passport - didnt have time and it was fine!

I actually live here :) but the weather is really nice at the moment the last 2 days have been nice and hot and today it started cloudy but has warmed up just nicely, the evenings are a bit chilly but nothing too bad. September can be a little unpredictable but you will have some really hot days so yep bring the suncream.

flstate1989

it woulnd't be a good idea to be anywhere (other than your home country) with an expired passport.

kellyc

Hi

Yes of course, and you wouldnt get very far with an expired passport either lol

Pubgirl

Just reporting back that we had no problems with the passport & had a great holiday:cool:

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

Excellent great to hear it!

pej

Glad to hear it!