preparing Brik

Sana

Hi bobby g
im glad that u tried this brik :) did u like it? i think it's extremely delicious ;)

Brik wrappers are sometimes available from Waitrose supermarket in the UK. I haven't figured out what time/s of the year they are available and when they are not stocked.

You can buy spares and freeze them. However I have been told they are hard to prepare once they've been frozen! (I think they might break when folding). The tip I read was to fill & fold them before freezing, then store until wanted. Then defrost & cook when you want them.

I had already frozen a pack of fresh wrappers unfilled, before I heard not too, but I haven't tried to use them yet!

Will report back on my success (or otherwise) trying to fold them after defrosting.

My general tip with making brik is to make sure the mixture isn't very wet (other than the egg), otherwise the wrapper often bursts on cooking. If you keep it fairly dry, then they are fantastic!

My wife just bought me some harissa too, so I really must use the frozen pack of wrappers to make some brik au thon! Hmmmm. Scrummy!

Mike

ps just stumbled across these forums, and they look great. Makes me pine for a trip to your excellent country....

janette b

if anyone wants wrappers i come back to uk on 30 june and will bring some and then post no probs just let me know..

Essem

Staff member
Hi backpackmike and welcome to the forum. Glad that you are enjoying it.

caley

Yep Thon is Tuna..........reminds me of that advert for thon in Tunisia.....'something....something....sunshine!!' haha xx

Mezoo

VIP Member
missed the bus....

ingredients :

4 malsouka papers
onion : 1
shrimp
lemon :1
1 egg for every person
salt: according to taste
Harissa
swiss cheese
parsely
Thon

how to prepare it?
1- cut and mince the onion , put the Thon in a flat and crush it with a fork .
put some olive oil in the frying pan , fry the onion until it becomes soft and transparent .
2- remove the onion from fire , put it in a bowl then add the shrimps , the lemon juice , Thon, eggs, the parsely , salt , Harissa and swiss cheese . mix them very well.
3 - make the malsouqa papers in the shape of a triangle and stuff them with the mixed ingredients then fry them over average heat .
Oh Sana that sounds delicious.I am so hungry but I have workmen here and I cannot get in my kitchen
number 1 best !!! (except NO EGG!)
:D
Mezoo could you knock some up and get them over by 2ish????
;)
Hi truly have u tried it yesterday?
:)
Sana, no I didnt but I will definitely try it at the weekend, I'll have more time for errors!!!!!
It's not trulys fault sana. (hurry back you)
i was supposed to "knock some up" and get round with it.
i let her down. im sorry about that truly.
hope you get to enjoy shrimp brik anyway. /lol just don't depend on me to cook eh ? :eek:

sianperkins89

hi i know this thread is kinda old but i was just wondering....
how do you fill the pastry sheets into a triangle with the stuff inside without its falling apart? do u have to overlap the pastry a bit or use some oil or something 2 stick it?
and how do u fry it? like deep fry in a load of oil, or just fry like normal and turn it over?
and does anyone know if any other normal supermarket shop (not a specialst chinese or ethic food shop etc) apart from waitrose sells the brik pastry sheets?
thankssss :)

I do the "half moon" style of filling...

• What I do is to make sure my mixture isn't too wet (seems to make them rip open).
  • I then put a plastic fish slice utensil into base of shallow bowl. Then I lay the wrapper over this, with one half on the flat base, and the other half up the handle of the fish slice.
  • Then I add my mixture of tuna, parsley, cheese, harissa etc (ingredients ideas listed elsewhere in the thread!). Make sure it is not overfilled. (leave a good 3cm clear all round).
  • Then I make a small idented "well" in the middle, and crack an egg into it.
  • I then dip my finger into the egg white, and smear some around the edge of the filled half.
  • I then fold the other half over and press is down around the edge so it looks like a "D" half moon shape. It won't stick yet, so don't worry that it looks all open and floppy!!!
  • Make sure the oil is toasty hot, so that it it is ready to crisp up in seconds...
  • Now the tricky bit.... I hold the fish slice in one hand, and hold closed the centre of the wrap in the other hand (so nothing spills out), and lift it using the fish slice.
  • I then smoothly but speedily lower it into the oil (obviously letting go of the wrap itself as I get near the oil - so as not to burn my fingers).
  • As soon as the wrap enters the oil in the frying pan, I then use the fish slice to quickly press down on edges around the joins, which seals it all in.
  • Then you wait for them to cook (only a couple of mins in my experience!).
  • Lift out an drain them on paper towel.
  • Enjoy with lemon juice squeezed over the top.

This is the way I developed to do it myself (since I like the look of the half moon type - as these were what I remember being served in Tunisia). I'm sure there will be a better way to do it, but I've never got the halves to stick until in the pan!

Triangles, I don't know how to do....

sianperkins89

thank u for the advice its very helpful, all i need 2 do now is find somewhere to find the pastry hmm :) :)
and i prefer lime juice on mine :D but im sure lemon is just as good :)

ah... never tried lime juice... I'm itching to make some now!

ROULLA

thank u for the advice its very helpful, all i need 2 do now is find somewhere to find the pastry hmm :) :)
and i prefer lime juice on mine :D but im sure lemon is just as good :)
Hi Sianperkins hope that you are in good health! the pastry that you are looking for is generally found in any halal butchers...

Black Mamba

This is not a typical dish by the way, there no way many Tunisian can afford it.

Mezoo

VIP Member
This is not a typical dish by the way, there no way many Tunisian can afford it.
so true BM, same in the states, as shrimp is so expensive, but from time to time even the poor folks eat brik shrimp and boy is it good !:D

Mezoo

VIP Member
Malsouqa ( pastry papers): 4 papers
Eggs: 1 ,lemon: 1 ,capers: 1 tablespoon
Potatoes: 250g ,parsley: few leaves ,pepper: according to taste
Salt: according to taste
first of all; Peel potatoes, cut it into pieces, cook them in boiling water
with some salt then crush it with a spoon .
second ; boil an egg and cut it into pieces. Remove the stalks from capers and chop them. then mince the parsley leaves .
After that, Mix all the ingredients together and season them with some
salt and pepper according to taste.
Finally; heat oil, spread sheets of malsouqua one by one in a plate. fold the edges of the sheet from the 4 sides to make the shape of a square. place in the middle of the square a spoon full of the mixed ingredients , fold the sheets in a diagonal shape and fry them in oil .:)
MMMMMMMMMM
Let's see now,,,Mezoo Style,,,,
Remove the egg,,,,replace with a bit of browned ground beef, a few chopped up shrimp,,and a dollop of harissa,do exactly as NOTED above and Brik ala Mezoo
:) :cool:
nourrrrrrrrrrrrr, i'm hungry !!!!!!!!!! :D

sianperkins89

i think the pastry for brik is the same as spring roll pastry isn't it i remember someone here said it was? well anyway i saw it in asda the other day in the frozen chinese section just incase anyone was having trouble finding any :)

ROULLA

i think the pastry for brik is the same as spring roll pastry isn't it i remember someone here said it was? well anyway i saw it in asda the other day in the frozen chinese section just incase anyone was having trouble finding any :)
Hi Sian hope that you are in good health and feeling better ! Was the pastry round like the brik one that you get in the halal butchers..or was it like filo pastry..

sianperkins89

it was in a frozen packet it was square or round i couldnt see as i was just scanning it through the till lol. it was like in the same packet you buy tortilla wraps in. is it the same as filo pastry? i thought it was different? :confused:

ROULLA

it was in a frozen packet it was square or round i couldnt see as i was just scanning it through the till lol. but it was about 15cm by 15cm something like that. like in the same packet you buy tortilla wraps in. is it the same as filo pastry? i thought it was different? :confused:
You may be right Sian , it's just that when i use filo pastry that is to make sweet cakes and the other one for brik is round, but yes the one that is used for spring rolls also looks like filo pastry as well..What did you use it for ?

sianperkins89

i didnt use it yet, but i was gonna use it to make brik.... coz i remember reading here someone said the spring roll and the brik pastry are the same. i thought filo pastry is different as it has many layers and the brik pastry is thicker... :) :)