Renting/Buying Property in Tunisia

DARK ANGEL

I'm pretty sure the rate is different for Tunisians and foreigners, also residency may make a difference.
Regarding to this subject , i heard that many Libyans bought a lots of proprieties in Tunisia , so this is can be another factor to increase prices !

Scottochott

Regarding to this subject , i heard that many Libyans bought a lots of proprieties in Tunisia , so this is can be another factor to increase prices !
Yes perhaps, but they don't need authorisation. Our uncertainty is the % of capital gains tax, on the difference between the purchase and sales price.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I thought they had a primary residence clause also.

?

Essem

Staff member
From the buyer, a financier, although lawyer checking it out.
Lawyer has said this figure of 25% is incorrect but hasn't said what is (sigh!)

Scottochott

When I'm over next I'll go to the " recette de finances" in Akouda, that's where I paid my original purchase taxes, maybe they can give an answer.

Essem

Staff member
Ah right , I thought that's was where they told you it was 33 1/3 %

Another estate agent has advised that she believes it's 15% and that's across the board for resident, non residents, Tunisians and foreigners but she's going to check today and advise.

Scottochott

Ah right , I thought that's was where they told you it was 33 1/3 %

Another estate agent has advised that she believes it's 15% and that's across the board for resident, non residents, Tunisians and foreigners but she's going to check today and advise.
Long ago (pre-revolution) they told me 18%, but 10% for foreigners! but I'm sure things have changed since then. Don't know where you're getting 33% from! Was it Technocasa maybe?

Essem

Staff member
No not Tecnocasa, (they stated that you didn't need a holding account) it was you who said to remember that I had to pay tax at 33 1/3rd% and I said that according to certain websites it was 5% or 10% depending on the length of time it was owned.

Long ago (pre-revolution) they told me 18%, but 10% for foreigners! but I'm sure things have changed since then. Don't know where you're getting 33% from! Was it Technocasa maybe?
18% for whom?

Scottochott

No not Tecnocasa, (they stated that you didn't need a holding account) it was you who said to remember that I had to pay tax at 33 1/3rd% and I said that according to certain websites it was 5% or 10% depending on the length of time it was owned.

18% for whom?
Not me, lol! Crossed wires methinks. At that time it was 18% for Tunisians and I think it was the 5-10% figures quoted by various sources for foreigners! But this was a long time ago as I said and almost certainly out of date. I wish we knew someone who had sold property to get an accurate figure, as different agents and lawyers all say different things, usual story, everyone's an expert but they all know diddly squat!

Essem

Staff member
It was you, lol. I hear that many people who are selling are having their money sent directly to their European banks and haven't a clue that authorisation to sell must be sought and that tax is even due.

Essem

Staff member
Not me, lol! Crossed wires methinks. At that time it was 18% for Tunisians and I think it was the 5-10% figures quoted by various sources for foreigners! But this was a long time ago as I said and almost certainly out of date. I wish we knew someone who had sold property to get an accurate figure, as different agents and lawyers all say different things, usual story, everyone's an expert but they all know diddly squat!
True. Ask 3 people the same question and you'll get 3 different answers.

Problem here is that a lot of information is not readily accessible. It's like the secret service trying to find anything out.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Even when you go to the actual finance half the time they just dont know their own jobs.

Scottochott

Y
It was you, lol. I hear that many people who are selling are having their money sent directly to their European banks and haven't a clue that authorisation to sell must be sought and that tax is even due.
You're the only one I've heard mention 33%, you've definitely got it confused with someone else.

I don't understand why Tunisians would send money directly to a European bank, unless it's dirty money. They would not be able to register as a legal owner as there would be no legal "contract de vente" without authorisation. Maybe if the person selling never wants to set foot in Tunisia again I can see the logic, but it's not something I would risk. They may even have problems in their own country as how would they explain the money to their tax authorities? Banks have strict money laundering regulations these days, and the Inland Revenue is made aware of all significant transactions.

Essem

Staff member
STC it was you that told me this because I remember saying at the time it seemed very high. And there is no-one else here that I would have discussed it with. I am not confused, I have a great memory, too good sometimes!

And yes, I agree about those we heard of recently selling and having the money sent to their (German) bank accounts - got the impression they wanted out and weren't fussed if they never set foot in Tunisia again.

Chaz

Where is your land Jenn1125? We too are looking to buy land and build.

We have a ton of land in Tunisia. Where are you looking to buy??[/QUOTE

Essem

Staff member
I went to the local Recette de Finance and was told the following:

Example:

From the date of last contract say 2008 till now = 6 years
Reduces by 10% on each year, 6 x 10 = 60%

Anticipated profit of 100,000 therefore - 60% (60,000) = 40,000.

Amount to pay is 10% on 40,000 = 4000 dt

Nothing in writing though

Scottochott

I went to the local Recette de Finance and was told the following:

Example:

From the date of last contract say 2008 till now = 6 years
Reduces by 10% on each year, 6 x 10 = 60%

Anticipated profit of 100,000 therefore - 60% (60,000) = 40,000.

Amount to pay is 10% on 40,000 = 4000 dt

Nothing in writing though
Ok we're getting somewhere at last. So in your example above, the actual CGT rate is 4%. From this I understand the rate starts at 10%, and reduces by 1% each year! is that right? Almost too good to be true! So after 10 years there is just 1% to pay?

Essem

Staff member
I know it sounds to good to be true.