Safety

ninikins

How safe is Tunesia for travelling? How about crime rates and women on their own? What is accepted?

issam

Banned
reply to safety

i think as safe as any other europeen country

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

I agree, ive never really experienced anything in Tunisia other than the looks I get from the locals which isnt threatening, my fiance has had a few run-ins with some but that comes with being with a European!. There are reports of bad behaviour, a few criminal activities but this will happen in any country, it hasnt got a high rate of crime, but you will read and see things do happen in Tunisia as they may in your home country.

issam

Banned
i live in a city which is in the uk i see peaple get slashed in the high street where every body shops and the cops always late for any criminal action so the truth is as safe as any other europeen country,plus you got in tunisia special under cover cops their mission is to protect tourist normally they are always in the busy area with tourists,i think you got nothing to worry about

kellyc

Issam

Hi Issam,

Its funny you say that, as I was aware of the under cover officers in the more tourist areas but they are also around the local areas too, I've just moved back to my fiance's local village and last night we had that experience, normally every night the local boys stand around the corners in groups chatting away (as they do ;) ) an under cover police officer was walking around and all the boys ran into the nearest house - amazed I asked why and apparently the police here are taking more action on the locals standing around the corners and though Im not sure what they will do about it, these boys really didnt want to find out!! Well im shocked to say the least as its one of the things I enjoy seeing compared to UK but I also had to laugh as my fiance phoned his brothers to make sure they had not been caught ;) I can understand it in one way as sometimes they do get carried away as they compete against each other the voices get so louder at 2.00 am in the morning :)

tater03

I am one of those people that when I travel to a place that I am unfamiliar with that I usually go in the daylight hours and always with someone. I would think that Tunisia would be just like everywhere else in that there are some areas that are worse then others.

sammohanty

Safety in Tunis and Hammamet

How about the safety conditions in Tunis and Hammamet for a woman and 2 year old?

kellyc

Hi

Hi,

You wont have any problems in Hammamet, one of the most popular holiday destinations. This goes for Tunis the capital aswell, but of course like anywhere if your heading for Tunis capital its extremely busy and so just keep your belongings close to you, bag etc. Just act as you would in any other country, enjoy your holiday.

issam

Banned
hi kelly if there is any local election running in tunisia ,i would vote for you!

issam

Banned
when i go back to tunisia,i stay in my appartement in yasmine hammamet which i think is the best place and the ideal place to boost your great time during your holiday,some times it´s funny how some europeen women they´re worried about their safety in tunisia as if tunisia does not have women who go clubbing,drinking,walk home on their own,samohanty don´t worry you ´ll feel safer in hammamet than back home.

kellyc

:) Issam

Haha Thanks Issam :)

I love Yasmine Hammamet, and your right its extremely safe there and beautiful, it was the first place I had stayed when I first moved to Tunisia (before moving here I had never even been here!) and love visiting there, I will actually be spending my Xmas and New Year there with one of my bestfriends who comes here often to see her boyfriend. Issam do you get to come back to Tunisia often?

issam

Banned
hi kelly,normally i go to tunisia twice a year but this time it seems i 've been really busy,i'm running two companies one is retail company and the other is dealing with properties which will give me access to travel to tunisia quiet often because i hooking up with some property developpers to promote tunisian properties abroad i'm trying to set up an office in tunisia,so hopfully i'll be there more than few times.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
It goes without saying issam that you will be putting these properties on our property section ;-)

At the moment it is free and people are getting lotsof enquries on both sales and rentals!

Apologies but I cannot resist it

tater03

I think the reason women worry so much about traveling alone to other countries is mainly the culture of women in that country. I find I worry about what is proper for a women to wear in a given country when I travel.

issam

Banned
hi kris,i already got one of my properties in your rental property section advertised and hopfully the other one i will log it for rental in the near future

Grace 111

I did worry about what to wear when I visited Madras, India. I was thinking about wearing cotton clothing but with no makeup. I decided to wear the makeup and the cotton clothes. But when I was in the hotel, no swimming.:)

issam

Banned
for Grace

hi, grace tunisia is not india big difference!

Grace 111

That is true about being a very different country. Tunisia and India are not close to the same culture. India had to be experienced and then I understood when I visited it.

ROULLA

me and my jerba

HI Tater03,
how are you hope that you are in good health ! I have been going to Tunisia for 20 odd years and i have never had any problems, i wear shorts nearly all the time , my bikinis a must and my husband doe's not have a problem with it.
If say for example i go and see a hajer i do respect them and so i always wear a jerba but that is only because i really respect these people and i am grateful that they respect me to.

ninikins

its important to understand and respect the social and cultural rules in a country.