settlement extension??

karla

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has extended their husbands settlement visa instead of going for the ILR??
xx

Essem

Staff member
I know of one lady who has done this.

karla

did it all go ok as far as u know?

MellieC

It depends on the reason WHY you want/need? a visa extension rather than ILR.

an extension is at the discretion of the "Home Secretary" in most cases.

If your hubby has not gotten together what he needs for ILR an extension is usually granted.

one of the forum members did this not long back and now her hubby has ILR.

karla

well our true reason is we just ran out of time and do not have the funds for ILR. also he has not done the like in the UK test but he has done a language test which he past with distinction. he visa expires on the 28th so he has returned to Tunisia at the mo and is going to sort the extension from there rather then over staying here and making things worse. i know i can't tell them we need an extension just coz of funds etc but can say coz we r getting the papers together. do u think it will be a prob to get it from Tunisia? xx :-/

lainie

well our true reason is we just ran out of time and do not have the funds for ILR. also he has not done the like in the UK test but he has done a language test which he past with distinction. he visa expires on the 28th so he has returned to Tunisia at the mo and is going to sort the extension from there rather then over staying here and making things worse. i know i can't tell them we need an extension just coz of funds etc but can say coz we r getting the papers together. do u think it will be a prob to get it from Tunisia? xx :-/
you need to check that the english test elememt is on the accepted list of accredited providers and that he has the correct covering letter from the college/langauge school to go with it - details on theb ukba website

MellieC

can he return to the UK before the visa expires? probably not if you mean the 28th of April.

As he is in Tunisia now, have you thought out HOW he is going to "sort out" an Extension in the UK?

Although on one hand he has done the right thing by returning so that he does not become an overstayer, he has had 2 years to take the test, even if he did not have funds to pay for ILR, has he been working in the UK? I would guess not as that would mean he has given up a job too?

you DID need to check that the English test would have been sufficient for the LITUK Test, but if his visa for entry and the right to remain ends in 48 hours, unless he can return to the UK tomorrow you are most likely going to be looking at another entry visa as spouse and starting all over again.

sorry!

karla

he has spoken to someone at the embassy and they have told him to complete the extension and provide the documents it ads for. and just submit it to them as we would do here?

kassie

It depends on the reason WHY you want/need? a visa extension rather than ILR.

an extension is at the discretion of the "Home Secretary" in most cases.

If your hubby has not gotten together what he needs for ILR an extension is usually granted.

one of the forum members did this not long back and now her hubby has ILR.
....this is what happened to Hubby....not sure if Mel is relating to us? The reason was that his ESOL result was "too late"....therefore, had to apply again when it came through....costing the same fee AGAIN!!!!:eek: ....we live and learn lol;)....hope this stops you having the same (costly) problem! :)

Love

Kassie

xxx

karla

hi kassie

did ur hubby return to Tunisia to do it? how did u do it.and did it take long?
they have said that the extension is 560 and then we can apply for ILR anytime within the next
two years.
xx

kassie

hi kassie

did ur hubby return to Tunisia to do it? how did u do it.and did it take long?
they have said that the extension is 560 and then we can apply for ILR anytime within the next
two years.
xx
No....he applied for ILR at the given time.....and it was refused but granted DLR instead ....within the 27 month period... and then the ESOL result came through...so submitted another application with the fee and got his ILR. Approx 4 weeks. Hope this helps you! ;)

Love Kassie

xxx

karla

oh no so u paid two lots of ILR costs :-0 ouch .
this is different case for us then coz we r not applying for ILR just want an extension at the
moment. :-/ just hope im stressing for nothing and all will be fine

karla

we have been told we need to do the settlement again. but we are not getting many answers as to which one to do.
as there is a option under settlement for 'returning resident'. as my husband has already been here for 2years would he be classed as returning resident????? hope someone can help. x

Jane BM

we have been told we need to do the settlement again. but we are not getting many answers as to which one to do.
as there is a option under settlement for 'returning resident'. as my husband has already been here for 2years would he be classed as returning resident????? hope someone can help. x
Why have you got to do the settlement again?