Shengen Visa - Republic of Ireland

olliebaby

Hi all
Im going mad here trying to find out what K would need for a trip to Ireland. Its really conflicting. Ok, so they arent signed up for the Shengen Visa so it says he will need a vistors visa....... but then I found it also says that being the spouse of a EU citizen he can get automatic entry...... then below it, it says only if you are from a selection of countries (Tunisia not included) It then also states that ANYBODY that has leave to remain for the UK of 180 days gets visa waivered!! BUT lower down it gives a list of countries again who qualify - Tunisian not included, so clearly not everybody can like it says. Has anybody travelled to Southern Ireland or knows what would be needed? If he needs a visitors visa it says he must have an invitation letter but surely not if your just going for a few days holiday and dont know anybody there to invite you?

MellieC

he gets a landing card!
travelling with you, he qualifies under free movement for a free visa, oddly enough ireland are using the schengen visa app form to make it easy although they are NOT schengen.

you should also look at "common travel area"

olliebaby

Thanks mel, is there anything you dont know?? lol

Found this so just FYI for anybody else looking

Other nationalities
See also: Visa policy in the European Union
While the Common Travel Area has, for most of its history, involved an open or relatively open border, this has not, since the Second World War, meant that someone who legally entered one part of the Area was automatically entitled to enter the another part. Unlike the Schengen Agreement, the Common Travel Area provides no mechanism for the mutual recognition of leave to enter and remain, and the United Kingdom and Ireland operate entirely separate visa systems with distinct entry requirements. In general, a United Kingdom visa will not allow a traveller entry to Ireland, nor vice-versa.
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man allow entry to holders of United Kingdom visas (with some exceptions). Guernsey and Jersey immigration authorities routinely check non-EEA nationals seeking to enter the UK via the crown dependencies to ensure they have valid UK permisions.
However, as of July 2011 Ireland has introduced a limited, pilot visa waiver programme under which the normal requirement for certain nationalities to hold an Irish visa is waived for visitors to the UK who hold valid UK visas.

cactus

Found this so just FYI for anybody else looking

Other nationalities
See also: Visa policy in the European Union
While the Common Travel Area has, for most of its history, involved an open or relatively open border, this has not, since the Second World War, meant that someone who legally entered one part of the Area was automatically entitled to enter the another part. Unlike the Schengen Agreement, the Common Travel Area provides no mechanism for the mutual recognition of leave to enter and remain, and the United Kingdom and Ireland operate entirely separate visa systems with distinct entry requirements. In general, a United Kingdom visa will not allow a traveller entry to Ireland, nor vice-versa.
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man allow entry to holders of United Kingdom visas (with some exceptions). Guernsey and Jersey immigration authorities routinely check non-EEA nationals seeking to enter the UK via the crown dependencies to ensure they have valid UK permisions.
However, as of July 2011 Ireland has introduced a limited, pilot visa waiver programme under which the normal requirement for certain nationalities to hold an Irish visa is waived for visitors to the UK who hold valid UK visas.

hi ollie,
i was trying to find out the same information for a friend.
Very complicated but we know now so here it is
IRLAND (republic)
YES visa IS required and not a schengen, it is done online you print it off and sign it. you need marriage cert, both passports, photos, proof your travelling together. No fee it is free for spouse of EU national. Single entry visa only. apply in person to London (7days) post it (14days)
hope this can help any people

olliebaby

Hi Catus, Yes it is really complicated, different sites say different things and on the Irish Embassy website it completely contradicts itself on who needs what. So can I ask how you found this information as the information I got and what Mellie said is that he doesnt need a visa ?!? Sooo confusing :confused:

MellieC

loads of stuff LOL there are loads of things im totally crap at lol

check with the irish embassy what the current status is, although they have been being pretty good, both ways Ireland to UK/UK to ireland with ILR, not always pre ILR so CHECK

the reason they are doing it is because of free movment, they are "accepting" ILR as they would residence cards issued under EU Directive 2004/38

any brit is entitled to a free visa for their tunisian spouse to enter Ireland whether or not they have ILR, or are on the 27 months entry visa.

you can also travel without a visa (she says incurring the wrath of the Home Office again lol) as long as you can prove your identity and marital ties.

you have the right to enter any other EU state (this includes ireland) for up to 3 months, and your spouse needs only their passport ~ THAT IS FACT, IT IS EU LAW.

cactus

Hi Catus, Yes it is really complicated, different sites say different things and on the Irish Embassy website it completely contradicts itself on who needs what. So can I ask how you found this information as the information I got and what Mellie said is that he doesnt need a visa ?!? Sooo confusing :confused:

i rang the embassy of ireland visa line 09066610197
if you have non eu passport you need visa it doesn't matter if you have settlement or ILR
i think i read mels husband has french residence card
if they have a eu residence card they don't need a visa so she is right
but in uk we don't have that so you need a visa for sure
difference with schengen is you need to proof you will travel together so buy tickets before application

MellieC

hi ollie,
i was trying to find out the same information for a friend.
Very complicated but we know now so here it is
IRLAND (republic)
YES visa IS required and not a schengen, it is done online you print it off and sign it. you need marriage cert, both passports, photos, proof your travelling together. No fee it is free for spouse of EU national. Single entry visa only. apply in person to London (7days) post it (14days)
hope this can help any people
You did well my freind, I told you it was complicated to understand at first because it almost contradicts itself!

MellieC

if you are not confused you are seriously mis-informed lol

seriously, yes different places DO say different things, mostly their "interpretation" of the law, but the only interpretation that is important is that of the EU court and the case law in existence, all based on freedom of movement, remember fred arrived here without a visa, has automatic 5 year residence and working rights, and entitlement to Public funds in another few weeks! he could claim them now but the govt doesn't have to give him anything, for the first 3 months of arrival just to tick you off totally lol, hes NOT having any PF's before anyone has a hissy fit lol

know your rights, not always easy to enforce them, but know them, and insist on having them!

MellieC

i rang the embassy of ireland visa line 09066610197
if you have non eu passport you need visa it doesn't matter if you have settlement or ILR
i think i read mels husband has french residence card
if they have a eu residence card they don't need a visa so she is right
but in uk we don't have that so you need a visa for sure
difference with schengen is you need to proof you will travel together so buy tickets before application
Well done, you are getting the hang of this!

If the pilot scheme is still running, you can enter without a visa, its free anyway although there is a processing charge as its done externally!

yes my husband has an EXPIRED frenc residence card.

for sureyou DON'T need a visa, no reason why you shouldn't get one, but its NOT mandatory, not OBLIGATION!

cactus

Well done, you are getting the hang of this!

If the pilot scheme is still running, you can enter without a visa, its free anyway although there is a processing charge as its done externally!

yes my husband has an EXPIRED frenc residence card.

for sureyou DON'T need a visa, no reason why you shouldn't get one, but its NOT mandatory, not OBLIGATION!

hi mel
they said definately need a visa but no administration fee
they said it is essential and you wont get through the border
i remember a woman here i was looking for the post i found it debbie she went with her husband and they refused entry
i think it's safer to get one and not end up fighting about rights at the border and they think these tunisian trying to make revolution here in irish border lol

cactus

oh another thing they said if you have settlement or ILR and a schengen it doens't matter they don't recognise schengen same as UK
so dont' think schengen is ok cos it is not

MellieC

hi mel
they said definately need a visa but no administration fee
they said it is essential and you wont get through the border
i remember a woman here i was looking for the post i found it debbie she went with her husband and they refused entry
i think it's safer to get one and not end up fighting about rights at the border and they think these tunisian trying to make revolution here in irish border lol

As I said, the law is the law, WHATEVER they want to try and interpret it as, and there is no reason why you shouldn't get an entry visa, its under FoM, and if the pilot scheme is running then thats even better.

LEGALLY, however, it is a british persons right to enter Ireland with thier spouse who is NOT an EEA/EU national, with JUST their passport, and if you forget your passport, and can PROVE your identity AND your marital ties, you MUST be permitted to enter, its MORE than law to be honest, its a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT of being an EU citizen ~ to go where you want and be accommpanied or joined by your spouse, whatever their nationality!!

THAT is the bottom line.

but for the sake of hassle, you can get the free visa?

ANYONE ~ embassy official, Immigration Officer, HOME OFFICE who says YOU MUST/IT IS ESSENTIAL ~ BOTTOM LINE THEY ARE LYING OR TOTALLY MISINFORMED/UNTRAINED
and i added the last part because i felt like being polite to them for once lol

but it will never change the fact that you dont legally need one, until the EU disbands of course lol

MellieC

a schenge
oh another thing they said if you have settlement or ILR and a schengen it doens't matter they don't recognise schengen same as UK
so dont' think schengen is ok cos it is not
A Schengen visa IS only valid for SCHENGEN states, neither the UK nor Ireland are Schegen states so THAT is quite correct, someone entering, for example Italy from Tunisia on a Schengen visa is NOT permitted to travel to the UK or Ireland.

cactus

As I said, the law is the law, WHATEVER they want to try and interpret it as, and there is no reason why you shouldn't get an entry visa, its under FoM, and if the pilot scheme is running then thats even better.

LEGALLY, however, it is a british persons right to enter Ireland with thier spouse who is NOT an EEA/EU national, with JUST their passport, and if you forget your passport, and can PROVE your identity AND your marital ties, you MUST be permitted to enter, its MORE than law to be honest, its a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT of being an EU citizen ~ to go where you want and be accommpanied or joined by your spouse, whatever their nationality!!

THAT is the bottom line.

but for the sake of hassle, you can get the free visa?

ANYONE ~ embassy official, Immigration Officer, HOME OFFICE who says YOU MUST/IT IS ESSENTIAL ~ BOTTOM LINE THEY ARE LYING OR TOTALLY MISINFORMED/UNTRAINE!!

and i added the last part because i felt like being polite to them for once lol

but it will never change the fact that you dont legally need one, until the EU disbands of course lol

hi mel
im sure you are right but they are not doing that. anyway the friend who wanted to travel is going to fly to belfast (UK) and someone will get them from the airport.
his wife grandmother is ill and she needed to go sooner than the visa was going to take and as you say mel he is not actually breaking the law they are!! just he didn't want the trouble at dublin airport

Jane BM

hi mel
im sure you are right but they are not doing that. anyway the friend who wanted to travel is going to fly to belfast (UK) and someone will get them from the airport.
his wife grandmother is ill and she needed to go sooner than the visa was going to take and as you say mel he is not actually breaking the law they are!! just he didn't want the trouble at dublin airport
We all need Mel in our suitcases really dont we??? lol

MellieC

hi mel
i am sorry to hear about your freinds grandma, it is in such instances that getting the visa is not practiable, and immigration are very good on the phone at telling you YOU MUST, I have the freefone number which im NOT going to put on open forum, but anyone within the EU can call the number and speak to someone at the EU commission, who will instruct immigration to permit your entry where it is valid to do so!

you don't seriously think i turned up at calais without the EU legal department at the ready do you? lol

i spend EVERY day fighting for the rights of Brits to exercise their FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS as EU Citizens, everyone knows my opinion, its a monkey on the UK back, but while we have to carry it around, lets have what its got to offer?

cactus

i am sorry to hear about your freinds grandma, it is in such instances that getting the visa is not practiable, and immigration are very good on the phone at telling you YOU MUST, I have the freefone number which im NOT going to put on open forum, but anyone within the EU can call the number and speak to someone at the EU commission, who will instruct immigration to permit your entry where it is valid to do so!

you don't seriously think i turned up at calais without the EU legal department at the ready do you? lol

i spend EVERY day fighting for the rights of Brits to exercise their FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS as EU Citizens, everyone knows my opinion, its a monkey on the UK back, but while we have to carry it around, lets have what its got to offer?

yes mel could you pm me the number please
also it is very humilitating to be stopped in the border when your intention is to not break the law

MellieC

yes mel could you pm me the number please
also it is very humilitating to be stopped in the border when your intention is to not break the law
We KNEW when we arrived at the border that we would have to answer questions, but it was much easier than it could have been, if we had been faced with an immigration officer wo wanted to strut their stuff, but we were both ready for that, and in the end it was very easy and really did only take 10 minutes, so it was no hardship.

i will email you the number