shengen visa

apna

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has attempted/and succeeded in moving with their Tunisian husband to a Schegen country please? If so, which country did you go to? I know I saw another thread where someone was having trouble getting into the French embassy...but are there any friendly embassies out there? (lol)

Also has anyone successfully settled in a Schegen country long term? Or gone from a Schegen country to the UK?

Also would it be useful to have a copy of the legislation when we are travelling in case we encounter problems? If so could someone point me to where I would find it please as have very dodgy internet connection here, have already had to re-write this 3 times as the connection keeps going!

thanks in advance for your help...I really want to find a way to stay with my new husband instead of having to go back to the UK and visit him like we did before, till we can apply for the UK visa.

Apna x

Essem

Staff member
Hi Apna

Mellie C is the best person to speak to about this - think she is in the process of going down this route at the moment.

skele

Hi Apna, are you in Tunisia at the moment? Where did you want to go? Most countries are breaking the law when it comes to these visas, so carrying the legislation around shouldn't be a problem once/if you can get the visa, the problem is getting out of Tunisia. The only way to find out if any are friendly is to apply. I am writing an article about this subject so I would love to know how you get on if you do apply, I need to find as many people as possible who have applied or want to apply. Me and Mellie C have both done very extensive research into this subject and we absolutely have the legal right to just be given these visas but as I said governments seem to be beyond the law.

apna

Hi Apna, are you in Tunisia at the moment? Where did you want to go? Most countries are breaking the law when it comes to these visas, so carrying the legislation around shouldn't be a problem once/if you can get the visa, the problem is getting out of Tunisia. The only way to find out if any are friendly is to apply. I am writing an article about this subject so I would love to know how you get on if you do apply, I need to find as many people as possible who have applied or want to apply. Me and Mellie C have both done very extensive research into this subject and we absolutely have the legal right to just be given these visas but as I said governments seem to be beyond the law.
Hi Skele,
we are currently in Mauritius having spent our honeymoon here and having an extended stay so I can see my family. We will return to Tunisia soon and start looking into where we can go I guess...is it a case of just going to the embassy and asking for the application form? And as far as your post goes it seems some embassies just flat out refuse to comply with legislation? Why does this have to be so difficult?? :-(

MellieC

Hun, the "schengen" route, and the EU route are not the same thing, I am guessing that you mean the EU route.
As Skele has said, the law is with "us" we are, (speaking generally) as EU citizens perfectly entitled to go to ANY EU country other than that of which we are a national, and have our tunisian (3rd country national) hubbies join us or travel with us, the visa is free, the requirements are passports and marriage certificate ONLY (and of course photo for the entry visa) the problem is, as Skele has said, actually getting into the embassy ~ or when you do that they will actually comply with the Law. when they do not ~ there is a big problem, as NO-ONE and Skele will confirm this ~ NO-ONE is of any use ~ not signpost, not SOLVIT, not even the commissioner of the EU ~ all a total waste of time!!!!!
which Skeles article will no doubt point out very vividly!!!
If you look on the Italian website, you will see that they do have the details for the accompanying spouse of EU/EEA citizen entry visa, DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH THE SCHENGEN VISA THEY ARE DIFFERENT ~ but you do use the Schengen visa application form to apply for the accompanying souse visa, as it is "the EU visa". you do NOT fill in the whole form, it tells you what not to answer!!!

I will "add" you as a "friend" then if you go to my profile page yo will find under contacts an email addy ~ if you email me, I will send you the links for the applicaiton form, the 2004/38 guide which is pretty much a must to have with you ~ and anything else that you need to give it a go lol
It will be a while yet before we do this ~ im spending the summer sunbathing!! which is giving me time to try and get some response from the EU to beat the embassies with!!!!!!!
getting back into the UK later is not quite so difficult? as the forms are there and the british embassies do at least know what the forms are!
But much depends on your circmstances.
Email me, and I can give you some forms and legislation and yo can decide for yourself if its the right way for you.
congrats on your marriage ~ and as you are on honeymoon ~ what the hell are you doing on a computer? dont you have "better" things to do???????? ROTFLMFAO

MellieC

i should add ~ as a general comment ~ if anyone wants any of the info ~ email me ~ i will help where I can!

L

Lissy

Morning Mellie, hope you are well....keep up the good work!

MellieC

mornin!!!! feeling better?

my emails have frozen LOL

bums a bit sore ~ bikini bottoms rode up a bit when sunbathing yesterday LOL

overcast today so no sunbathing LOL

Fred says ~ "look at you all brown with couple bits white (bikini lines) and then a red bum" he was NOT gentle with the after sun either LOL SOB, i will get him for that!!!!!

L

Lissy

PMSL - sorry to hear that...it is pouring down here so no sunbathing. You could always lie on the bed to do your research, less painful!!!

apna

Hun, the "schengen" route, and the EU route are not the same thing, I am guessing that you mean the EU route.
As Skele has said, the law is with "us" we are, (speaking generally) as EU citizens perfectly entitled to go to ANY EU country other than that of which we are a national, and have our tunisian (3rd country national) hubbies join us or travel with us, the visa is free, the requirements are passports and marriage certificate ONLY (and of course photo for the entry visa) the problem is, as Skele has said, actually getting into the embassy ~ or when you do that they will actually comply with the Law. when they do not ~ there is a big problem, as NO-ONE and Skele will confirm this ~ NO-ONE is of any use ~ not signpost, not SOLVIT, not even the commissioner of the EU ~ all a total waste of time!!!!!
which Skeles article will no doubt point out very vividly!!!
If you look on the Italian website, you will see that they do have the details for the accompanying spouse of EU/EEA citizen entry visa, DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH THE SCHENGEN VISA THEY ARE DIFFERENT ~ but you do use the Schengen visa application form to apply for the accompanying souse visa, as it is "the EU visa". you do NOT fill in the whole form, it tells you what not to answer!!!

I will "add" you as a "friend" then if you go to my profile page yo will find under contacts an email addy ~ if you email me, I will send you the links for the applicaiton form, the 2004/38 guide which is pretty much a must to have with you ~ and anything else that you need to give it a go lol
It will be a while yet before we do this ~ im spending the summer sunbathing!! which is giving me time to try and get some response from the EU to beat the embassies with!!!!!!!
getting back into the UK later is not quite so difficult? as the forms are there and the british embassies do at least know what the forms are!
But much depends on your circmstances.
Email me, and I can give you some forms and legislation and yo can decide for yourself if its the right way for you.
congrats on your marriage ~ and as you are on honeymoon ~ what the hell are you doing on a computer? dont you have "better" things to do???????? ROTFLMFAO
Thanks for that Mellie, will email you with details of our situation. As for what im doing on a computer...we had 10 days in our 5 star luxury hotel and are now in a holding pattern, trying to work out what to do next...hence trying to research stuff on the net, we were going to rent a place here and stay a while but probably not feasible to do that for long so we are seeing what else we can do, since hubby isnt 21 till next year so can't apply to go to the UK till then...enjoy the sunbathing :)

skele

You just need to make an appointment then go fill out the form, would be great if you do it as soon as possible and let me know what happens!!! :D

Especially at the French embassy, that would be very helpful! More ammunition then for me...anyone wanna go and apply just for fun? To be helpful for research purposes?!!! :)

aljaye

Can they work on an EU visa? or is it a travel visa only?

MellieC

Can they work on an EU visa? or is it a travel visa only?
the accompanying EU spouse visa is THEIR RIGHT and they are effectively under the spouses umbrella ~ they have ALL the rights of the nationals of the EU country they go to ~ the right to reside and to work being the main ones, they also have the right to welfare benefits, although this is limited and depends on the history and they CAN be refused, which is the norm i would say.

its NOT a travel visa ~ and once you have arrived in the EU country other than that which you are a national YOU (the EU citizen) apply for (and are given immediately) a residence CERTIFICATE ~ with this, yuour hubby applies for his residence CARD which is valid for 5 years.

obviously there are some conditions to fulfil, but they are not that difficult to do!!

L

Lissy

Talk about a nightmare....Mel you know my feelings on the whole thing and can only say that I think I probably took the right route paying through the nose for the spousal visa!!!!

MellieC

Talk about a nightmare....Mel you know my feelings on the whole thing and can only say that I think I probably took the right route paying through the nose for the spousal visa!!!!
in your circmstances, which i know better than most, even though you could have easily gone the EU route I think you did the right thing ~ and YOU know why i think that!!!!

whether its the spousal visa or the EU visa EVERYONES situation is different ~ and you have to look at what is the best option with all the follow on consequences!

L

Lissy

in your circmstances, which i know better than most, even though you could have easily gone the EU route I think you did the right thing ~ and YOU know why i think that!!!! Oh dear, I think you know far too much - lol - Seriously though, it was the correct decision and not one I regret.

whether its the spousal visa or the EU visa EVERYONES situation is different ~ and you have to look at what is the best option with all the follow on consequences! I quite agree with you on this. It is just such a shame that some people have to fight so hard to get what should be a straightforward, no discussable decision on their visa.
I do hope that you manage to finally get things sorted out Skele, I take my hat off to your fighting spirit

MellieC

I do hope that you manage to finally get things sorted out Skele, I take my hat off to your fighting spirit
skele is flaming LOL and she has EVERY RIGHT TO BE!! we are working on it SLOWLY ~ the big issue is no-one really has any authority!!!!!!!!!!

its pathetic!!!!!!

we have (skele and I) considered taking the french embassy doors right off with my nudge bars LOL

watch this space lol

seriously, I have siad i'm more than happy to go up to tunis with skele at any time ~ I like authority ~ its there to be slammed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFL

skele

the accompanying EU spouse visa is THEIR RIGHT and they are effectively under the spouses umbrella ~ they have ALL the rights of the nationals of the EU country they go to ~ the right to reside and to work being the main ones, they also have the right to welfare benefits, although this is limited and depends on the history and they CAN be refused, which is the norm i would say.

its NOT a travel visa ~ and once you have arrived in the EU country other than that which you are a national YOU (the EU citizen) apply for (and are given immediately) a residence CERTIFICATE ~ with this, yuour hubby applies for his residence CARD which is valid for 5 years.

Do bear in mind that this has now proven to be fiction rather than fact!!! :eek:

Thank you Lissy, have plenty of fighting spirit but running out of things to do with it!

Ready to storm the embassy Mellie, but we're gonna need a tank and a lot of explosives because there's no way in! We need to meet up soon and come up with a plan of action, I'm running out of time here, gonna have to go to Paris on my own in 3 weeks, been here nearly 3 months. Incredibly frustrated and obviously don't wanna go on my own but have no choice now.
THE WHOLE THING IS A JOKE AND NOT A VERY FUNNY ONE!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

apna

You just need to make an appointment then go fill out the form, would be great if you do it as soon as possible and let me know what happens!!! :D

Especially at the French embassy, that would be very helpful! More ammunition then for me...anyone wanna go and apply just for fun? To be helpful for research purposes?!!! :)

I'm half thinking of just going around all the EU embassies in Tunis just to see who will let us in the door!

skele

It's worth a try, can't hurt! The French one you make an appointment via the automated telephone service. Seriously if you have the time to go there it would be really helpful. The more of us there are the better, then we can take it to the European Commission and make more of an impact. If you have time to apply to any of them would be great to find out what happens. Like I've said before, the law here is very clear and simple and we absolutely have the legal right but they are breaking the law. We need to find more people who are not willing to let them get away with it.