SOS children's villages

Jane BM

I've recently been looking into the SOS children's villages in Tunisia and the work that they do and what they provide. Folks it's amazing!!

There are currently 3 villages in Tunisia...in Siliana, Gammarth and Mahres...they provide orphans with a family home with a 'mom and dad', food, schooling and healthcare till the age of 16. They also have Youth homes which help the older teenagers make the transition into being self sufficient.

SOS children's villages are all over the world, I thought I'd start this thread as I've decided to sponsor a village specifically in Tunisia for the grand cost of £20 per month. Not going to do a hard sell, just wanted people to be aware if they weren't already of this worthwhile cause in a country that we all have an affiliation with. As little as a pound can be donated or the sky is the limit...lol.

It depends wholly on charitable funds and I know there are a couple of members at least who already have been working hard over the last few years with fundraising efforts and charitable donations. I contacted their Head Office in Cambridge myself to find out a little more and was very reassured with the work this charity is doing, also 100% of the donations received go on the care of the children, not admin.

If anyone is interested then you can always go on their website or pm me and I'll give you the info.

Xxxx

ROULLA

Good morning Jane hope that you and your family are all well!

Jane there is also Akouda this is the one that a few of us have been to and it is amazing. There are a number of houses not sure if it was 14 but anyway they are all well furnished and there is 8 children in each house if my memory serves me well.

They also have a shop where they send the children with their baskets to get the shopping, this shop consists of food and clothing provided by the S.O.S and members of the public.
The reason why they store everything in this shop is because if someone buys something they like it to be shared out rather than given to one family.

To be honest with you although they have a mum and grandmother in the one that we went to if I am not mistaken the manager is the only man that the children call dad.
This place is amazing and I have never ever seen anything like this before in my life, if you visit the children's home in Nabeul you will notice that the is a significance difference and they do not have half as much, this is the children s home where they grow up before they are sent to the S.O.S , so looking forward to seeing them very soon.

Jane BM

Akouda is the most recent one isn't it Roulla? 2010?

I think it's amazing work they do...

Essem

Staff member
Akouda is the most recent one isn't it Roulla? 2010?

I think it's amazing work they do...
Next time you're in Sousse, I'll take you along to Akouda.

Essem

Staff member

Aslemma

I've been to Akouda and was very impressed. The children love seeing visitors, rushing out to grab your hand and show you around. The rooms are colourful and well decorated and there seems to be a real family atmosphere.

missmetal

One of hubby's friends who is huge on the animal rescue scene over there also helps with the SOS villages. Great to see!

ROULLA

Hi Essem, hope that you are well!
This has got to be a winner of a post, I loved every bit of it and it made me so happy to see the children happy, that it brought tears to my eyes, silly old me.:)