Spouse visa success

Trulymadlydeeply

He could always try some voluntary work until it comes through..

Jane BM

Thanks for all of your suggestions I will get him added onto the electricity bill. I have started the process for a national insurance number but have been told it can take around 3 months to get authorised. I'm worried he will get bored with nothing to do. Has anyone any experience of this?
Although they say that, in reality it only takes a few weeks.

Essem

Staff member
Thanks for all of your suggestions I will get him added onto the electricity bill. I have started the process for a national insurance number but have been told it can take around 3 months to get authorised. I'm worried he will get bored with nothing to do. Has anyone any experience of this?

Bored??? I'm sure you can find him lots of things to do around the house, help neighbours/family who need things done. But apart from that, isn't he motivated to find things to do, places to go, things to see.

And if he becomes bored with nothing to do, what is it that you're worried about? That he'll want to go back to Tunisia??

Sorry but we're talking about grown men here - you shouldn't always be having to take them by the hand.

What was his job in Tunisia and what is he qualified in?

Jane BM

When my husband first came it took him about 3 months to find work...after the first couple of weeks acclimatising himself to the area he literally pounded the streets looking for work, had far more nerve and balls than I'd ever have to do that....but he was determined....and it did pay off!

Meanwhile there were loads of bits n bobs, painting etc that needed doing round here so he got busy with that.....hmmmm all needs doing again now...lol..

lola

Thanks for your comments there a&e a few jobs he could do around the house.
Jane when your husband came to England did he have to wait 3 months for his national insurance number to allow him to work? My husband is desperate to work.
I'm not worried about him going back to Tunisia I am worried about him being in a new country on his own for the majority of the day trying to fill his time. Yes you are right he can go and visit places, which he has done already but 3 months is a long time to try and fill. I would hope he would feel the same concern if I had moved to a different country knowing only 1 prison there. He was trained as a car mechanic. It's not that he can't find work it's that he can't apply for work until we get his national insurance number which we have been told can take 3 months.
You have all made done good suggestions though.

Jane BM

Thanks for your comments there a&e a few jobs he could do around the house.
Jane when your husband came to England did he have to wait 3 months for his national insurance number to allow him to work? My husband is desperate to work.
I'm not worried about him going back to Tunisia I am worried about him being in a new country on his own for the majority of the day trying to fill his time. Yes you are right he can go and visit places, which he has done already but 3 months is a long time to try and fill. I would hope he would feel the same concern if I had moved to a different country knowing only 1 prison there. He was trained as a car mechanic. It's not that he can't find work it's that he can't apply for work until we get his national insurance number which we have been told can take 3 months.
You have all made done good suggestions though.
We didn't have to wait 3 months for his NI number, we applied for it straightaway and it came through really quickly. However it did take him a while like I say to find work. However I do work for myself so he wasn't on his own all the time...get him busy...lol...get him applying for his provisional driving license and studying for his theory test, all things he won't have time to do once he's working full time. Get hiM to spend time working on his CV and maybe go round to a few local garages see if they'd be interested.

What I WOULDNT do is try to find a 'little Tunisia', not right now anyway, you want him to integrate with his surroundings, not segregate himself...which for some reason, so many people do! Xx

lola

Maybe they meant it could take up to 3 months, she said there was a form to complete then we would send it back and then he had to attend an appointment to confirm if he was to be given a NI number - I am assuming he will be. Hopefully it will come through a little quicker as I think the longer he is out of work the harder it will be for him to settle.
He is keen to learn to drive so I think this is a great idea, I live close to some garages so I think he could drop in and ask about work, even if they say no it might give him a confidence boost knowing he is doing something.

Jane BM

Maybe they meant it could take up to 3 months, she said there was a form to complete then we would send it back and then he had to attend an appointment to confirm if he was to be given a NI number - I am assuming he will be. Hopefully it will come through a little quicker as I think the longer he is out of work the harder it will be for him to settle.
He is keen to learn to drive so I think this is a great idea, I live close to some garages so I think he could drop in and ask about work, even if they say no it might give him a confidence boost knowing he is doing something.
They have to learn to take a few knocks, because it does take perseverance to find work, but that won't hurt him.

Yeah the interviews vary, very often you don't need to go, it all depends on how busy they are, and yes he will get one, they just need to see his passport to make sure.

Mrs H

Tell him to go ask at the garages if they need any help part time just now so they can see how good he is. Tell them he will work for for for a couple of weeks and if he is any good they can take him on once he gets his ni number. I own a garage and we are screaming for good mechanics so it might be the same in your area. You will probably find that if he is any good they will give him something for helping out for free if you know what I mean. You can work without a ni number as it is possible to start a job with a temp number then input the correct one into payroll at a later date

Donna Said

Hi Lola I don't know if this would of interest to ur hubby when my hubby came to the UK he did an English course for
ESOL Skills For Life (Speaking And Listening) it's its free ur hubby would have a chat with the college first to assess his English level. courses run daytime and evening all the students are foreign. their is also a free maths course which my hubby, on completion he got a first on a Pitman exam.

About the course:
When you arrive in England for the first time, it can feel very isolating if you do not speak English. You will want to talk to people and understand information. You may need to talk to your doctor. You may need to be able to talk to your child's teacher and help your child with their homework. You may need to get a job and fill in forms. You may want to talk to your boss about work. You may need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain or Citizenship. An ESOL course is your answer. We will assess your level of English and offer you the best class at a time to suit you. You may be able to take a qualification to show your progress. You can enrol at any time throughout the year with classes taking.

We also got a few forms that needed filling photocopied a few for practice just so he got used tgo doing the forms and knew his address. I guess any free courses that are going would be good first aid, food hygiene, or something relating to the job he would be interested in doing. The CITB is a good course I think this one would have to be paid for but u need it for construction. building type work, their is an exam to sit u can get a test theory practice (ebay) If he is going to do a driving test their is the driving theory test he can get a cd to practice all the questions online ebay good to get this from. have a look at bbc bitersize website loads of free courses on their. Computer training practice maybe quiet a few courses running. My hubby got an allotment spent many happy hours their. it's was only around £10 to rent but I am going back 15 years lol. Job application forms practice getting his cv together having them ready to send out, interview practice. I hope some of the suggestionjs are helpful to u both. wishing u both all the best.

Donna Said

Hj Lola I also regisgered hubby at the library he would be able to print application forms, do photocopying and use off free book cd.s language tapes, also someone to help their with information. Hubby also was interested in boxing so he took that up as an amateur and won british titles the first year and came 2nd the following year, the boxing club took him to Canada to fight, he won that one too all expenses were paid he had a great experience. he joined a running group and won quiet a few races and did loads of charity event running. But any sport is good, maybe join a local gym. The other advise I would give u is to get a routine going if u are working all day and ur hubby is home ground rules set that housework is done or the dinner even if is one chore putting the washing in/out its good training for him to know u will not be able to do it all and UK is not the way things work in the Tunisia. Also while waiting for work NI he could do voluntary work in any charity shop. Again not sure how much would apply just some suggestion. All the best

lola

Thank you both these are great suggestions. I have been looking into courses for him and he was very keen on the driving theory idea. It's been just under a week and I think he is starting to get into a routine. He goes out running in the morning and walks to meet me from work. I think the maths and English lessons are a great suggestion and I've also found some preperation for work courses.

Donna Said

Thank you both these are great suggestions. I have been looking into courses for him and he was very keen on the driving theory idea. It's been just under a week and I think he is starting to get into a routine. He goes out running in the morning and walks to meet me from work. I think the maths and English lessons are a great suggestion and I've also found some preperation for work courses.
That s really sweet that he comes to meet u at work takes me back 23 years when hubby used to do the same but at lunchtime he used to walk an hour their and back but I was in the centre o town so he got to find his way around as well. u both have a fab weekend.

Good news, my hubby and I received the news we have been waiting for 8 weeks for....success with our visa application.:joyful: We are so happy :) Just now we are trying to fathom out his plane ticket to Manchester. There are no direct flights to Manchester from Tunis, Does anyone know if he could travel from Enfidha direct to Manchester? Due to work commitments i cant travel with him.

Thank you

Samza

Congratulations

Have a look on monarch airlines they fly frm enfidha

curly

Good news, my hubby and I received the news we have been waiting for 8 weeks for....success with our visa application.:joyful: We are so happy :) Just now we are trying to fathom out his plane ticket to Manchester. There are no direct flights to Manchester from Tunis, Does anyone know if he could travel from Enfidha direct to Manchester? Due to work commitments i cant travel with him.

Thank you
Congrats!!
Monarch dont fly in the Winter, Thomas cook fly direct from Enfidha on Wednesdays and Sundays to Manchester x

thank you curly, can my hubby fly from enfidha with it being his first ever flight out of the country? i read somewhere on here he cant because its not a scheduled flight x

Samza

I don't think you can get a one way ticket with TC I've tried before but have a look online

Samza thanks for that but he would be willing to pay for a return even if wont be using it lol..just need a direct flight to Manchester and preferably from Enfidha not Carthage