Successful visa application

Jane BM

It's a great idea IMO. As you say still have to prove a 2 year relationship, then normal life ( how normal it can be with a Tune :oops::p) it's like try before you buy lol ;) Is this all over Ireland or just your region?
Try before you buy.........love it!!! Lol....:D:p.

Jane BM

Lol!! If i figure out any tips quickly, I'll post them!! :) But generally when im there ive been there for a month, living together at a time, so hopefully that will have been a good foundation for us!

Yea, in Ireland .. although our immigration dont like to make it easy (i.e they dont really tell you what you should do) it seems more straightforward than UK in the end, - e.g no language test etc
I'm sure the amount of time you've spent together when you've been in Tunisia will help. All I can say is it'll be a shock for him to start with, the whole way of life being so different in Europe. You'll need oodles and oodles and oodles of patience...lol.

IF your partner is open to embracing change, which in fairness to my husband, even though I bash him on here now and again, he has been, then it makes the transition easier. He didn't come here looking for a 'little Tunisia' in town, wasn't looking for other Tunisians, wasn't interested in mixing with them or finding a coffee shop so he could hang out with other men in his situation. I've also said it time and time again, i consider fortunately in my case, my husband isn't a particularly practising Muslim, so we've never had issues about where we go out and what we do.

So many partners arrive in Europe and for some reason even if they weren't practising Muslims, they suddenly find their faith again, perhaps it's something to cling to, when everything else in their lives have changed. Again, fortunately for me, I know my husband well enough to know he doesn't have the willpower to do that....lol.

Finding work will be essential, because boredom will settle in fast. So if I was you, once you've had your 'honeymoon period', I'd crack the whip and start looking for work for him. I'd also encourage him to get his EU driving license. All these things will help him feel more settled.

Good luck with it all, fun times ahead...lol;)

Essem

Staff member
How does it work in Ireland, how long does he get on his visa. Never heard of that type of visa before. Maybe you could post some details (not personal) regarding the visa application on the Visa thread?

One of our English members moved to Ireland a few years ago and brought her then bf over a couple of times rather than do it through the UK. It didn't work out so he came back here and she went back to the UK.

Am I right in thinking thought Yolo that if you're Irish and marry in Tunisia then take your hb back, any properties, etc you have are automatically subject to divide as soon as sets foot on Irish soil? Or is this an urban myth?

YouOnlyLive Once!

I'm sure the amount of time you've spent together when you've been in Tunisia will help. All I can say is it'll be a shock for him to start with, the whole way of life being so different in Europe. You'll need oodles and oodles and oodles of patience...lol.

IF your partner is open to embracing change, which in fairness to my husband, even though I bash him on here now and again, he has been, then it makes the transition easier. He didn't come here looking for a 'little Tunisia' in town, wasn't looking for other Tunisians, wasn't interested in mixing with them or finding a coffee shop so he could hang out with other men in his situation. I've also said it time and time again, i consider fortunately in my case, my husband isn't a particularly practising Muslim, so we've never had issues about where we go out and what we do.

So many partners arrive in Europe and for some reason even if they weren't practising Muslims, they suddenly find their faith again, perhaps it's something to cling to, when everything else in their lives have changed. Again, fortunately for me, I know my husband well enough to know he doesn't have the willpower to do that....lol.

Finding work will be essential, because boredom will settle in fast. So if I was you, once you've had your 'honeymoon period', I'd crack the whip and start looking for work for him. I'd also encourage him to get his EU driving license. All these things will help him feel more settled.

Good luck with it all, fun times ahead...lol;)

Thanks a mil! :) It's so much easier to remind yourself to feel patient when you remember in the back of your mind, its totally normal! I'm expecting it to be a big shock to him, and he is too! He has thought about it for a long time and although Tunisia is still more in his heart (and mine too I think) we both decided that you can only make a full decision once we have trialled both places together. I told him to write a list of the things he's most nervous about and also things that he would love to see or experience so we can do those and also to remember to talk about things, not to bottle them up if something is stressing him! At least if i know what he's thinking or feeling it's easier to support. He is quite interested to see a new place and how things are done so that is a good start and I've told him to keep his mind open so he has promised he will try and remember that every day!!
It's all trial and error, so we will just have to see how it goes. I think there are only about 150/200 Tunisians in Ireland (albeit there are many other expats) so he would be hard pushed to find them!! But I don't think he is overly pushed on that anyway.
The driving licence is a great idea ... mind you I will probably have to remind him that we actually obey the rules of the road here LOL!! ;) xx

YouOnlyLive Once!

One of our English members moved to Ireland a few years ago and brought her then bf over a couple of times rather than do it through the UK. It didn't work out so he came back here and she went back to the UK.

Am I right in thinking thought Yolo that if you're Irish and marry in Tunisia then take your hb back, any properties, etc you have are automatically subject to divide as soon as sets foot on Irish soil? Or is this an urban myth?

I hope Ireland didn't put an end to them!! Yea, technically everything is divided in the case of a separation. Pre Nups are not recognised here, divorce was only made legal a few years ago so we are a bit behind. I am not sure though what happens if you marry abroad and don't register your marriage here - i would have to look into that. However, thanks to our amazing government, at the moment, we wouldn't be halving much!!! He would probably prefer to leave it to me! Lol!

YouOnlyLive Once!

It's a great idea IMO. As you say still have to prove a 2 year relationship, then normal life ( how normal it can be with a Tune :oops::p) it's like try before you buy lol ;) Is this all over Ireland or just your region?

I know ... I'm not sure 2 years is enough with a Tune! Lol!! Mind you, I'm sure he thinks I can be as odd as anything too! It's all of Ireland, as a resident, nothing to do with religion. i think the same applies for any EU citizen here. Im much more happier with it, neither of us wanted to be "under pressure" to get married, he's 32 and I'm 30 so I think at this stage we both know how we want things to be, not rush into anything

Jane BM

I know ... I'm not sure 2 years is enough with a Tune! Lol!! Mind you, I'm sure he thinks I can be as odd as anything too! It's all of Ireland, as a resident, nothing to do with religion. i think the same applies for any EU citizen here. Im much more happier with it, neither of us wanted to be "under pressure" to get married, he's 32 and I'm 30 so I think at this stage we both know how we want things to be, not rush into anything
Stick a zero on the end of 2 and you may get closer....lol....as for them thinking us odd!! What can I say, my husband frequently tells me to go get the tablets from the doctor for the crazy people...lolololololol. Now as we all know, biology never was their strongest subject at school, so I guess trying to explain hormones was never gonna be easy!! :p

Trulymadlydeeply

I think the Embassy will becoming very busy along with lots of weddings...:eek:

rosanna

Hi - just a quick one for all of you out there wanting to apply or have applied recently for a visa my husband and I just picked his visa up today.
We are so happy we can finally begin our married life together.
It took 5 weeks from start to finish for the visa application but months of preparation.
I am happy to help anyone if they need advice based upon our e pertinence as to be honest it was a very stressful time.
Hi I would be very grateful of any advice or help we married in April my husband passed the ket test but it took the British council 6 months to have his certificate ready despite constant phone calls from us requesting it be prepared eventually it was after 6 months so we now go to apply for the visa this week to find the test has just changed and UKBA no longer recognise this test so he now has to re sit the new test in November I am thinking maybe we should get a solicitor to do the visa application for us as we've become very nervous ! Also if he passes the new test we will, be getting a MP involved if the certificate does not arrive quickly ! But please any tips u have will be fantastic and congratulations on getting your visa I bet you are so excited ! How long have u been married ? X

Jane BM

Rosanna why did it take the British council 6 months to send his results through? Did your husband not go back to Tunis to their offices?

There is absolutely no point in getting your MP involved because they won't...lol....they don't get involved in visa applications. The only time you'd perhaps contact your MP was if your husbands visa was refused and you contested the grounds for refusal.

Same goes for a solicitor....it's a waste of your money. You need to check out the UKBA guidelines and make sure that you fulfil the criteria. For example, your earnings, are you over the threshold. Your accommodation, proof of your relationship. A solicitor is only going to ask you to provide this too....it's UKBAs rules. Best of luck. There's plenty of threads on here also where people have detailed the information they supplied.

Lyndsey

Hiya my husband will be applying for his visa soon I'm stressing so much about everything that we need do you have any advice on all the papers and things to do, also I'm stressing about are marriage certificate could you please tell me if you got yours stamped by any 1 at the ministry and places like that I've been told it needs to be stamped and my husband has been told it doesn't I don't want to apply and not get it done then not get the visa because of it

Jane BM

Hiya my husband will be applying for his visa soon I'm stressing so much about everything that we need do you have any advice on all the papers and things to do, also I'm stressing about are marriage certificate could you please tell me if you got yours stamped by any 1 at the ministry and places like that I've been told it needs to be stamped and my husband has been told it doesn't I don't want to apply and not get it done then not get the visa because of it
We had ours stamped. My husband went to Tunis to have it done.

As for the paperwork, go through the requirements step by step, breathing deeply...lol...make sure you fulfil all the criteria, provide evidence of same, don't leave things to chance.

Lyndsey

Hi I would be very grateful of any advice or help we married in April my husband passed the ket test but it took the British council 6 months to have his certificate ready despite constant phone calls from us requesting it be prepared eventually it was after 6 months so we now go to apply for the visa this week to find the test has just changed and UKBA no longer recognise this test so he now has to re sit the new test in November I am thinking maybe we should get a solicitor to do the visa application for us as we've become very nervous ! Also if he passes the new test we will, be getting a MP involved if the certificate does not arrive quickly ! But please any tips u have will be fantastic and congratulations on getting your visa I bet you are so excited ! How long have u been married ? X
Hiya I thought the test had just changed for the indefinite leave to remain I thought the English test had stayed the same for applying for the visa on the Ukba website it says for that visa it hasn't changed

Lyndsey

I have just looked again and they still do recognise the ket test so that is still ok to apply for a visa with

rosanna

We also
I have just looked again and they still do recognise the ket test so that is still ok to apply for a visa with
saw that but when my hubby rang the British council they said he had to do the new test I saw a solicitor who also told me this so we are totally baffled ! WhereAbouts did u see this cos I will look again thanks x

Lyndsey

We also

saw that but when my hubby rang the British council they said he had to do the new test I saw a solicitor who also told me this so we are totally baffled ! WhereAbouts did u see this cos I will look again thanks x
I saw this on the Ukba website the part were it says about new rules for the English test it says it doesn't count for leave to enter the uk so that's what you want then I clicked on the list on approved English tests and the ket is on there still so your hubby's English test should be ok to apply for the visa with

Lyndsey

I rang up Ukba as well a few weeks ago and they said that test will still be ok to apply with because my hubby has it to I think I will ring them again to double check

rosanna

I saw this on the Ukba website the part were it says about new rules for the English test it says it doesn't count for leave to enter the uk so that's what you want then I clicked on the list on approved English tests and the ket is on there still so your hubby's English test should be ok to apply for the visa with
Hi yes I saw that but then saw an update for new rules from 28 th oct saying it has to be B1 level to be acceptable and he has A2 it is. Very confusing I tried calling the embassy in Tunis but they don't answer visa questions so I e mailed the Brit council they said it gas to be KET at B1 level or PET test I am so confused and stressed but will look again thanks fir helping c

Trulymadlydeeply

Not going through it myself so maybe a bit harsh for me to say, but instead of all the stress and worry why not just sit the higher test then you're covered?! Good luck...