Taking pets to Tunisia

Essem

Staff member
For those relocating to Tunisia and wanting to take the family pets, here are a couple of companies who will arrange everything for you from crates & collection to customs.

www.animalairlines.co.uk - have over 40 years of dealing with transporting any type of animal from regional UK airports to any part of the world.

www.parair.co.uk - dogs & cats shipped to all parts of the world by land, sea and air

luther

pets

hi, i took my cats to tunisia and they flew out with ba. phone no: 01753685393. you have to contact a company called defra to get paperwork for your vet to sign as your animals are classed as import. just a little note cat food is very expensive there.

Carolina

Hi everyone,

I'm a Veterinary Nurse and hope i can help with the ever confusing pet passport situation (although it may have changed by the time i type this)
If going out of the country and not coming back, u have to see a vet that is registered to deal with exporting animals, your pet has a rabies jab, the passport is filled out and u r good to go.

However, if u r returning to the country, ur pet has a jab, then a blood test this is sent away to a lab then if the vacc has been successful a pet passport is issued.
if u are returning, ur pet still has to wait 6 months before entering the country again and has to see a vet 24hrs before to hav worming and flea treatment.

hope this helps

alex negra

There are so many dogs that need adopting in Tunisia,that if you haven't already got a pet to transport,it's nice to get one here,saves the transport expenses and gives the dogs here a chance.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Alex,

My dog, Souma (on gallery - still offering reward, living in hope!!), was stolen from Hergla almost one year ago on 9th June '07. She was such a big part of my life and I'd had her since she was 2/3 weeks (not the usual 7/8 weeks or so like in the UK).

If I had a house with garden and not an apartment I'd take some of the strays in - another thing I'll definitely do when that lottery win comes up Alex!!

I am relocating to Djerba from France. Having difficulty finding an airline to transport my dogs. I have the cages and all there vaccinations are up todate.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to fly them from Bordeaux as it is the closest airport for me.

Sharon.

Cathibou

How things change ! when I went to live in Hammam Sousse 13 yrs ago my Mum bought my cat out to me just in a normal cat basket which she kept by her feet for the whole journey, they were delayed and she fed her cheese and onion crisps to keep her going, please don't all you animal lovers write in complaining of cruelty the cat is fine and still likes a crisp now and again. When we left however things were not so easy and it cost me a fortune in quarantine fees, certainly something to budget for I paid over £2500 and that was 9 yrs ago, she is still going strong but I bet she has some stories to tell.

topmen6

help !! for dog adoption

Hello can anyone adopt two dogs i cannot take them to the uk because of the costs and they have to go to quarantine because tunisia is not recognised under the pet travel scheme , i have alraedy contacted them ! i have the mother a small german sheperd and her son a big soft german sheperd they have always been together thats the problem ! the mother is about seven and the son three !! can anyone suggest anything or help !!

topmen6

ps . all vacines up to date !!

topmen6

dog adoption

Can anyone help with homes for my two dogs i will return to the uk in september and have no idea what to do with my dogs ! any helpful suggestions please ! i am unable to take them with me due to the quarantine costs !

aynbunni

pet consideration

Did you consider this option when you a, brought them out in the first place b, adopted them in Tunisia. Consider how they are going to adapt without you. Your dogs, your responsibility, find the money:mad:

africanlilly

Did you consider this option when you a, brought them out in the first place b, adopted them in Tunisia. Consider how they are going to adapt without you. Your dogs, your responsibility, find the money:mad:
As a dog lover I find you post really cruel. having to part with a dog once due to unforseen problems, I know how horrible the feeling is.

I really do hope you find good homes for the dogs or a way to fetch them back to uk.

best of luck

Essem

Staff member
Hi topmen6,

I'd love to help you - which area are you in? What kind of dogs are they? Quite a few Europeans here (Sousse area) with dogs of their own so there would be no harm in asking around. I take it this would be for good?

My beautiful dog was stolen from the beach at Hergla just over a year ago and it broke my heart. Bought her in Tunisia when she was about 3/4 weeks old and she was 'my baby'. As I go back and forwards to, I swore blind I wouldn't replace her until I was here full time - it's just not fair on the dog or the owner.

africanlilly

Hi topmen6,

I'd love to help you - which area are you in? What kind of dogs are they? Quite a few Europeans here (Sousse area) with dogs of their own so there would be no harm in asking around. I take it this would be for good?

My beautiful dog was stolen from the beach at Hergla just over a year ago and it broke my heart. Bought her in Tunisia when she was about 3/4 weeks old and she was 'my baby'. As I go back and forwards to, I swore blind I wouldn't replace her until I was here full time - it's just not fair on the dog or the owner.

german shepherds like your lost dog , ones 7 the mum and the other 3, just read the other posts. u probably have now also . I do hope someone can give them a home!

Essem

Staff member
Hi topmen6,

I've just read the previous posts - must have missed them whilst travelling out here.

If you are in agreement, I'll keep the younger one with me and mum can go up to my extended families' home in Bou Salem (see photos in my album - lots of dogs, cats, chicks, ducks, sheep etc.)

You would be welcome to visit either of them anytime at all in the future. Let me know what you think, where you are and when I can see them - not keen eh!

africanlilly

Hi topmen6,

I've just read the previous posts - must have missed them whilst travelling out here.

If you are in agreement, I'll keep the younger one with me and mum can go up to my extended families' home in Bou Salem (see photos in my album - lots of dogs, cats, chicks, ducks, sheep etc.)

You would be welcome to visit either of them anytime at all in the future. Let me know what you think, where you are and when I can see them - not keen eh!
awesome! I hope you get this sorted out between you both! and the dogs have a happy life, if not essem can i come and be your dog hehe

Essem

Staff member
Aynbunni <<Did you consider this option when you a, brought them out in the first place b, adopted them in Tunisia. Consider how they are going to adapt without you. Your dogs, your responsibility, find the money>>

Very cut and dried - if only life was like that but then again hindsight is 20/20 vision - as they say.

I think these comments are very harsh - our lives and situations change and there is no accounting for might happen in anyone's future. Unless, of course, we have crystal balls and can see what's coming!

This won't have been an easy or light decision for topmen6 to make if she decides to adopt out her dogs as they will have become such a big part of her life.

Sometimes I wish I'd gone through my life making the right decisions at the right time but perhaps I wouldn't be the person I am or where I am now!

topmen6

dog adoption

your comments are not nice and very unhelpful! i thank god most people are more understanding ! you dont know my situation so please dont bother to comment if you have nothing constructive to say .

topmen6

Hi topmen6,

Hi thankyou for offering to help i live in Hammamet and yes i love my dogs but my situation has forced this issue / please let me know if you can see the dogs .Where is Bou Salem ? and where do you live?

topmen6

dog adoption

Thankyou for all the replies of kindness, i find myself in a situation that requires harsh decisions and my dogs are from tunisia and they are loved dearly and my decision to try and find good homes for them has been very difficult . My older dog has been with me for over seven years and if i could take her i would its not just the money issue there is a lot of practicle reasons as well why i cannot take her . If i could continue to visit them if and when i return that would be a dream come true . The unhelpful comments by the member in question obviously has gone through life with rose tinted spectacles and deserves their true rewards for being rude !