Taking pets to Tunisia

lynn

oh thank you KHL much appreciated will read that later

gem15

It cost me £1000 to bring my 2 over from the UK. They arrived on a Tomas Cook or Thompson flight I cant remember which one now as it was 5 years ago. You need to make sure the cat has had its regular injections and rabis injection.

huttan

It cost me £1000 to bring my 2 over from the UK. They arrived on a Tomas Cook or Thompson flight I cant remember which one now as it was 5 years ago. You need to make sure the cat has had its regular injections and rabis injection.
But then they didnt travel at the same time as you?

Taking animals with on the same trip as your self...in the cabin or as checked bagage when traveling at the same time is much much cheaper than sending them as cargo.(cargo which means the travel company arrange all to a higher cost)

For rabies its one vaccination and wait 21 days now...no bloodtest needed if not returning to europe from third country. New EU rule...its that...and a health paper showing that the animal is fit to travel and recommended worming.

lynn

I just wan't take my old boy with me I can't take them all but Trev goes where I go

gem15

Taking animals with on the same trip as your self...in the cabin or as checked bagage when traveling at the same time is much much cheaper than sending them as cargo.(cargo which means the travel company arrange all to a higher cost)

For rabies its one vaccination and wait 21 days now...no bloodtest needed if not returning to europe from third country. New EU rule...its that...and a health paper showing that the animal is fit to travel and recommended worming.
They went as cargo as they arnt allowed as hand luggage on thomas cook or a thompsons flight.

When we take the dog on holiday he comes in the cabin with us as he weighs less than 5 kilos. He has the pet passport and can travel to and from certain european countries with no problem. Hes been to France and Italy without any problems.

gem15

That is old and I would seriously think about the pros and cons of bringing him. At that age its harder for a cat to adjust and the weather maybe too much for him.

lynn

That is old and I would seriously think about the pros and cons of bringing him. At that age its harder for a cat to adjust and the weather maybe too much for him.
yea I did think about that, I can't leave him though, it's bloody hard when you have responsibilities and torn between 2 countries , and that's all I'v done is think..

gem15

yea I did think about that, I can't leave him though, it's bloody hard when you have responsibilities and torn between 2 countries , and that's all I'v done is think..
I know its so hard when you have animals. When I 1st came over here i wanted to bring my horse which i'd had since i was 9 but it really would not have been fair on her as she had COPD and the heat would not have been good for her and she always used to get stress laminitis. I had to do the non selfish thing and put her on loan to a lovely little family plus she was about 20 at the time.

When we have animals we have to accpet the responisibilites and suffer as its us that chose to have them.

lynn

I know its so hard when you have animals. When I 1st came over here i wanted to bring my horse which i'd had since i was 9 but it really would not have been fair on her as she had COPD and the heat would not have been good for her and she always used to get stress laminitis. I had to do the non selfish thing and put her on loan to a lovely little family plus she was about 20 at the time.

When we have animals we have to accpet the responisibilites and suffer as its us that chose to have them.
yes it is a life responsibility I really am stuck what to do

NetNiet

I agree with Gem here Lynne, when you're cat is 15 not used to the high temperatures here....allthough I love cats and have allways a lot off them, I wouldn't take a 15 year old cat from Europe to Tunisia just because I can't and will not miss him.
It's difficult at that age for them to adopt the temperatures here.

lynn

I agree with Gem here Lynne, when you're cat is 15 not used to the high temperatures here....allthough I love cats and have allways a lot off them, I wouldn't take a 15 year old cat from Europe to Tunisia just because I can't and will not miss him.
It's difficult at that age for them to adopt the temperatures here.
yea I know this is exactly what I though and he is not well as it is, but I can't leave him too I been with him since he is 6 weeks old, is my baby, maybe I will wait a bit, who knows maybe I will get good news at the appeal and not have to think about it, just trying to think of what to do if its a no again :/

sand

Does anyone know the requirements and how you go about taking your dog back to England?

Freya

Does anyone know the requirements and how you go about taking your dog back to England?
If you go on the DEFRA website it will give you all the info there. They have relaxed the requirements for bringing dog into UK from 1st Jan 2012 so the dog no longer needs to go into quarantine.

I have brought dogs to uk from both Spain and Turkey so know the procedure. It's much cheaper since 1st Jan so you're lucky, Me not so lucky lol.

Roughly speaking, your dog will need to be chipped to get a passport and then have rabies jabs and flea/tick/worming treatment. The dog can be brought to UK three months after the last rabies vaccine is given in Tunisia - before you can travel you will need the dog's passport checking by a vet that is registered to check them (see Defra Website). Also, dog needs to be certified fit to travel and also needs to be wormed and tick treatment given 24-48 hours before entering Britain. I think the dog can only travel to UK via a Defra approved carrier, be it by air or by road.

sand

Thankyou for that information Freya.

scotty_bambam

hi,
wasnt sure where to ask this,
on my last trip to tunisia my boyfriend and i found a lovely dog,and luckily his family have adopted her.they live in kef and theres no vet there.i think the nearest is spana at sousse(4 hrs car journey)i want to send some wormers and flea treatment in the post,but not sure if they would be seized at customs.does anybody know?
would be really grateful for any advice.
thankyou.

Essem

Staff member
Or

Le KEF BALTI HASSEN LE KEF (98) 227.847
TRABELSI SOUHAIL NEBBEUR (98) 372.303
AOUADI MOHAMED ALI LE SERS (97) 249.472
EL FERCHICHI SOKRAT LE KEF (98) 237.207
BEN HARRATH NEHED TAJEROUINE (97) 049.300
JAZIRI FREJ EL KEF (98) 447.238
TOUIHRI Walid NEBBER (97) 972.447
BEN BOUBAKER SARRA TAJEROUINE (97) 445 749