Taking pets to Tunisia

Jane BM

hi,
wasnt sure where to ask this,
on my last trip to tunisia my boyfriend and i found a lovely dog,and luckily his family have adopted her.they live in kef and theres no vet there.i think the nearest is spana at sousse(4 hrs car journey)i want to send some wormers and flea treatment in the post,but not sure if they would be seized at customs.does anybody know?
would be really grateful for any advice.
thankyou.
He's a lucky dog to have found you both....

P

Patricia Goodrich

I have a question, I am traveling to Tunisia in May 2013 and I want to bring my dog with me what do I need to have and do to bring her with me and where do I go to get her registered for a plane ticket I have never traveled out of the United States before. and who can help with doing this.

Jane BM

I have a question, I am traveling to Tunisia in May 2013 and I want to bring my dog with me what do I need to have and do to bring her with me and where do I go to get her registered for a plane ticket I have never traveled out of the United States before. and who can help with doing this.
Are you just going on a trip Patricia or moving over there? I'm not sure about how it works from the United States, I do know there's members on here who've taken their pets there to live, but that's been from the UK. Have you spoken to your local Vet? They'll have all the relevant information regarding pet passports etc and vaccinations and transit costs etc..would also be worth contacting your Tunisian embassy as well to see what the requirements are there for entry...

Essem

Staff member
Hi Patricia

Found this article that might be of help.

<<I brought my beloved adopted dog from USA to Tunisa. 3 flights! Charlotte-NYC, NYC-Paris, Paris-Tunis.

The paperwork difers from airline to airline. My dog traveled with Delta and Air France. Make sure you buy the tickets from the same carrier or partners, for instance, Delta-Air France are partners...but if you buy one ticket with Delta, another with Alitalia, and the last one with Tunisair, you will have to call all of them and have their specific paperwork.

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Tunisia?
- BEFORE YOU BUY THE TICKET. Make sure to mention you have a pet (in cabin, or cargo) ask about the costs and ask them to the flights you will be having. Do so with more than 3 months in advance, and call them when the flight comes as well to remind them.
- You need an international health certificate signed by a vet within 2 weeks of the trip.
- Make sure the Rabies vaccination is updated. Less than one month! My dog had to take another shot before its time, but they require it.
-If you don't have the Schengen visa, be careful! Most connecting flights Europe-Tunis require that you check in your luggage again! They will put Fido in the luggage carousel and you better be there to pick him up! or your pet could get lost.
- Always tell the flight attendant that you have a pet in cargo.

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Tunisia?
..I haven't left Tunisia with my pet yet, but I will certainly read the regulations of the airline and make sure his vaccinations are up to date. I will update this post as soon as I leave Tunisia with my pet.

What are the relevant authorities to contact?
- Certified veterinarian, the Pet program of the airlines, reservation of the airlines (to make sure they have a spot for your dog and there aren't more dogs in the same flight, there is a limit of pets...first come first served).

Which vaccines are compulsory? Rabies definitively! And bring Frontline or other flea-thick control medication because they're not easy to find here.

Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Tunisia? NO

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

1. Have a folder with all the pet's records. (Health, updated picture, vaccinations, and the international health certificate).
2. Put his name on the cage and ALL THE FLIGHT NUMBERS, final destination, your info. Do this front, back, top, and both sides of the cage. My dog got lost in Paris and they could find him fast because I had his picture ID and the flight info.
3. If you are traveling for less than 3 months, try to find a sitter or a kennel. They won't feed or walk your pet during the flights, they will lock the cage and not all airlines are pet friendly. So try to travel with your pet if you will spend more time abroad. But don't give it up or abandon it. I consider myself lucky after all the horrific stories I've read about pets flying abroad.
4. Don't buy the ticket unless you have the spot for your pet first. Once they tell you that your pet is on file, you can go ahead and buy those tickets.

I hope this helps.
>>

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103058

gem15

The best people to contact is DEFRA. I brought 2 cats over with me and its the airline that have the requirements, the authorities here didnt care at all!

Jane BM

Jeez just reading what Essem posted would put the fear of god in me. I'd be frantically worried I think the whole time...wouldn't wish a flight on my pet...

Jane BM

The best people to contact is DEFRA. I brought 2 cats over with me and its the airline that have the requirements, the authorities here didnt care at all!
Did you fly with them Gem or do the drive and ferry?

huttan

Well if its about visiting Tunisia I would NEVER bring a dog/cat when talking about so many hours of flight as US to Tunisia...its simply not fair to the animal. If moving is another thing....and as from what I remember for returning back US its very strict terms with quarantine if it hasnt changed thru the years?

gem15

Well if its about visiting Tunisia I would NEVER bring a dog/cat when talking about so many hours of flight as US to Tunisia...its simply not fair to the animal. If moving is another thing....and as from what I remember for returning back US its very strict terms with quarantine if it hasnt changed thru the years?
We had friends that lived here from the US and whenever they went back for a holiday they would always take their dog with them without any trouble at all. The dog was only small so was allowed in the cabin and there was no quarantine at all.

huttan

We had friends that lived here from the US and whenever they went back for a holiday they would always take their dog with them without any trouble at all. The dog was only small so was allowed in the cabin and there was no quarantine at all.
Hm well then it changed thru the years or maybe? Or has it to do with destination and state perhaps?

Well going in the cabin can be ok...going as cargo is a bit different...

Well best advice is always to double check everything before going...you would think rabies as rabies as an example and a woman from sweden went down to France-it showed they had different rules in France for what kind of rabies they accepted there and we in sweden had 2 types to use-she used the one that wasnt "good enough" in France...and you would think it would be the same all thru europe-NOPE.

gem15

I do know the rabies vaccine is the same for here, france and italy as we've taken our dog to both countries with no problems.

P

Patricia Goodrich

thank you everyone it helps a lot, as I have never travel like this before, it is scary but I can do it.