Taking pets to Tunisia

thanks all,have got the Defra forms for our vet who is registered to do the pet passport scheme.I just need to find out where to get the import liscence forms for tunisia as Defra haven't got those.They are going with a firm that sorts most things out so hopefully come June all will be ok.

address and phone number please of animal import government offices Tunisia

desperately need help with this as moving to tunisia on june 23rd
Thank you

Essem

Staff member
Hi clumberdog

Members Adam and his wife brought their two cats from Canada via France without problem. They said no-one at Tunis seemed to bother!

Sorry can't be of more help but maybe you could start by contacting Customs in Tunis!

gem15

Hi clumberdog

Members Adam and his wife brought their two cats from Canada via France without problem. They said no-one at Tunis seemed to bother!

Sorry can't be of more help but maybe you could start by contacting Customs in Tunis!

It's not the customs in Tunisia thats the problem it's the UK airlines. I brought my 2 cats from the UK over, back in 2006 and the customs showed no interest at all, it was Thomas Cook Airline that had to have the Rabies injection.

My 2 cats had to stay an extra 30 days in the cattery for them to qualify for flying. I had a very good company that sent them over if you would be interested I would be happy to give you their details.

Essem

Staff member
Hi clumberdog

Have just merged a few threads relating to this. There are a few recommendations on here that might help.

caveatemptor

Hi Gem15, where exactly do you inject the airline?

ziggy1973

i sent my tunisian cat to uk in april,,,

ROULLA

Hi Ziggy hope that you are in good health! Can i ask you how much did it cost you and was your cat kept in quarantine for months ?

Essem

Staff member
It's not the customs in Tunisia thats the problem it's the UK airlines. I brought my 2 cats from the UK over, back in 2006 and the customs showed no interest at all, it was Thomas Cook Airline that had to have the Rabies injection.

My 2 cats had to stay an extra 30 days in the cattery for them to qualify for flying. I had a very good company that sent them over if you would be interested I would be happy to give you their details.

Hi Gem

Did you use charter flights to bring your pets over?

gem15

It was a Thomas Cook flight!

Essem

Staff member
Thanks Gem - that's good to know. I thought you could only bring pets in on scheduled flights.

MellieC

Hi Ziggy hope that you are in good health! Can i ask you how much did it cost you and was your cat kept in quarantine for months ?

Rou, I'm guessing that the cat is in quarantine, as Ziggy is returning in Oct thats what it says on her posts, which would mean she arrives back at the time that the cat is out of quarantine?

directly from tunisia with no prior PETS passport, its 6 months quarantine in the UK. same rules don't apply to all of the EU, so a cat in france for say 3 months should then only need 3 months quarantine.

Our cats are doing their "quarantine" in italy and france, so will be clear to enter the UK with us.

its only because Tunisia is NOT a rabies free country! Otey has his blood test next week ~ couple of months late but thats cos he was ill and that had to be treated first!

soon as his results are back from France ~ i can book the boat outa here lol

MellieC

Hey Gem,

what about your mum and ollie ~ lol interesting crate ollie travels in LOL

gem15

Hey Gem,

what about your mum and ollie ~ lol interesting crate ollie travels in LOL

I'm lost!!!

What crate? Ollie travels in the cabin with us. He just has a little travel bag.

ROULLA

I'm lost!!!

What crate? Ollie travels in the cabin with us. He just has a little travel bag.

Now i am totally confused, unless you mean a private jet..:) I did not think that any animal could travel in the same cabin as us..This is the first time that i have heard of this..Is there some sort of joke that i did not get somewhere along the line:confused::D

MellieC

I'm lost!!!

lol thats what i meant ~ the little travel bag, and your mum has him sitting on her lap :D

no going in the hold and freezing for ollie lol

MellieC

Now i am totally confused, unless you mean a private jet..:) I did not think that any animal could travel in the same cabin as us..This is the first time that i have heard of this..Is there some sort of joke that i did not get somewhere along the line:confused::D

i would have said that pets travel in "crates" pet boxes ~ in the hold, but ollie travels in the cabin!

kit and otey will be in the cabin on the boat with us, or they may be int he cattery if its a different boat when it comes to it, as some have pet cabins some don't.

if people travel by car and ferries, as long as the cat/dog has their PETS passport to enter france from the UK, its not an issue, all the way to tunisia.

the issue is leaving when no pets passport has been in effect, the total cost is about 350dinar for rabies jab, microchip and blood test per animal, the blood test can be cheaper if you are returning to france you can take it with you, we are gonna wait here for it. then a tick and tapeworm treatment 24 to 48 hours before they leave, not "frontline" a vetinary injection. again not sure if that applies to pets with PETS lol

its 2 cats or dogs per cabin going to italy, any more than that they are in the boat kennels.