Terrorist Incident in Tunis Bardo

Jane BM

People stand on either side of this, and neither is right and neither is wrong....we all know we should stick 2 fingers up to people like this and their actions....however doing it is entirely a different matter for some people.

How do you exercise caution against things like this happening? Do you spend your holiday holed up in a hotel? Do you stay away for tourist destinations or do you go the other way and stay away from the more remote areas?

Let's also not get away from the fact that there are thousands of jihadists right now in Tunisia, with borders with Libya and Algeria we only have to read the news feeds on here to see what has come through the borders...

I hope Tunisia somehow with international help manages to overcome what's going on there right now, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and not say I'm deeply, deeply concerned.

Aslemma

You may dislike my comment Lola and I would very much like to be proved wrong, but a major attack such as this, which is shown on news channels throughout the world as well as public media such as Facebook, is bound to persuade potential visitors that it is not a good time to visit Tunisia.

tammy

I have booked to go to Tunisia at the end of April and I'm seriously considering changing it. I read somewhere that a terrorist group said the attack was just the start

annibee

i am due to go on saturday.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I have booked to go to Tunisia at the end of April and I'm seriously considering changing it. I read somewhere that a terrorist group said the attack was just the start
That is the key at the end of the day.

Its human nature that if this is a one off the effect will dissipate over the years.

However another attack will be a pattern/campaign and will be x times more damaging.

Apparently there was a scooter with two co terrorists who left the cafe before the attack so I will be much more relaxed when they are in custody.

On the other hand he best time for another attack would have been on the same day.

tammy

How are you feeling about going?

tammy

That is the key at the end of the day.

Its human nature that if this is a one off the effect will dissipate over the years.

However another attack will be a pattern/campaign and will be x times more damaging.

Apparently there was a scooter with two co terrorists who left the cafe before the attack so I will be much more relaxed when they are in custody.

On the other hand he best time for another attack would have been on the same day.

It's difficult on one hand common sense is telling me that the chances of being caught up in something are unlikely, however is it worth it if there's a chance

Aslemma

Those who have already booked to go in the next few weeks or months may find it impossible to change their plans without being considerably out of pocket, unless the airlines or tour operators pull out. In this case they won't have a choice, and will probably be offered alternative dates or holidays. This, however, is unlikely to happen unless the FO bans, or at least strongly advises against travel. I have never heard of an insurance company which will pay out simply because somebody doesn't want to travel, for whatever reason. I remember at the time of the revolution most airlines pulled out and offered customers alternatives. BA, however, continued flying and as my flight was with them my plans weren't affected.

I'm not due to go out until 9th May and won't be changing my plans willingly, so I'm just waiting to see what happens next. I am, of course, quite prepared for a battle with the family, who I doubt will be very happy about their mum going back to Tunisia at this time. :(

Jane BM

Those who have already booked to go in the next few weeks or months may find it impossible to change their plans without being considerably out of pocket, unless the airlines or tour operators pull out. In this case they won't have a choice, and will probably be offered alternative dates or holidays. This, however, is unlikely to happen unless the FO bans, or at least strongly advises against travel. I have never heard of an insurance company which will pay out simply because somebody doesn't want to travel, for whatever reason. I remember at the time of the revolution most airlines pulled out and offered customers alternatives. BA, however, continued flying and as my flight was with them my plans weren't affected.

I'm not due to go out until 9th May and won't be changing my plans willingly, so I'm just waiting to see what happens next. I am, of course, quite prepared for a battle with the family, who I doubt will be very happy about their mum going back to Tunisia at this time. :(
I also was booked on a BA flight 2 days after 14th January and I was able to change my flight to a later date if I wanted at no extra charge. It was a service that was offered.

Essem

Staff member
One of the Bardo terrorists was an activist in Ennahda March 19, 2015

He was called Saber Kachnaoui, seen in this photo pose next to Abdelfattah Mourou, the current Vice President of the National Assembly! This spectacular terrorist attack, which killed 19 people including 17 European tourists, could have been avoided if some executives of the Interior Ministry had taken seriously the information supplied to him by a young Tunisian computer expert, exiled in France .

bardo.jpg
The Ennahda terrorist, Saber Kachnaoui with the "moderate" Islamist, Abdelfattah Mourou, the current vice president of the National Assembly. Photo taken in Tunis in 2012.

Saber Kachnaoui and Yassine Laabidi, the two individuals who conducted the terrorist attack at Bardo and were shot by the police, both come from Sbetla, Kasserine.

They returned from Libya, three months ago, more precisely on December 28, 2014, and hid in City Ettahrir, not far from Tunis, at the home of a greengrocer who belongs to the group, Okba Ibn Nafaaan, to create a diversion, because the cell to which he and the two dead terrorists belongs, is actually Ansar al-Sharia headed by Seifallah Ben Hassine, alias Abu Iyadh.

Both terrorists, along with two other accomplices still at large, had carefully planned their action.

From Ibn Khaldun where Yassine Laabidi lived, they took the subway to the Bardo. They entered the Bardo Palace through the back door which was not guarded.

Their first target was the National Assembly, which adjoins the museum.

Contrary to what has been said by all of our colleagues, including Tunisia-Secret, they did not wear military uniforms. Spotted by the military and the elements of the brigade responsible for protecting VIPs, guarding the National Assembly, they threw a grenade and opened fire on them.

As security forces responded, they retreated into the parking lot of the Bardo Museum, where they immediately fired on two tourist buses that had just arrived. It was at that time that there was the most deaths and injuries. Interim results of this terrorist action: 19 dead, including 17 tourists, including two French and 48 wounded some of them in serious condition. Among the victims Najet, a Tunisian, a mother of three, who was working at the museum, and Ayman Morjane, a police officer.

This spectacular terrorist action could have been avoided if some members of the Interior Ministry had taken seriously the tracking and tracing for the past two months of Amine Slama (a young computing expert specializing in cyber-terrorism, tracking them for months, like many other terrorists). This could have been avoided if the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2003 was in effect. This could have been avoided if the return jihad terrorists in Syria and Iraq were put out of the way upon return to Tunisia. After a stay in the Libyan training camps overseen by Qatar and Turkey, Saber Kachnaoui actually went to fight in Syria.

What has not been said in the media is that Saber Kachnaoui was an Ennahda activist which puts into perpesctive Rached Ghannouchi's statement in which he condemned the terrorist action "through which they wanted to harm the young Tunisian democracy"! Qatar was also, too, the first country to condemn this terrorist action!

Worse still, two years ago, "moderate" Islamist, Saber Kachnaoui, posed with the "very moderate" Islamist, Abdelfattah Mourou, who recently made a courtesy visit to the Grand Mufti of Otan and the Supreme imam of transnational jihadism, Youssef Qaradawi also the spiritual father of the former and the current Emir of Qatar.

Coincidentally, Saber Kachnaoui's Facebook page disappeared a few hours after the attack.

It could not disable itself since he was already dead and identified by police. It is therefore clear that activists of Ennahda removed this really incriminating facebook.

Unluckily for them, computer experts at Tunisia-Secret had time to record as much information and pictures contained on this facebook page, including that of Saber Kachnaoui diining with Abdelfattah Mourou,

b1.jpg
Top left, Saber Kachnaoui shot by the police. Top right, Yassine Laabidi.
Bottom, left, Saber Kachnaoui & Abdelfattah Mourou. Right, Saber Kachnaoui.

http://www.tunisie-secret.com/Exclusif-L-un-des-terroristes-du-Bardo-etait-un-militant-d-Ennahdha_a1365.html

Selmi

So so sad

annibee

How are you feeling about going?
im fine will just listen to security advice and will stay in kantaoui and away from any groups and towns and cities and hope for the best

Aslemma

Now is not the time to throw stones, as it is essential that Tunisians of all political persuasions stand together against these criminals. However, it is sobering to note that Saber Kachnaoui was actually a member of Ennahda. It should also be noted that this was the party which was in power when so many of those previously in prison were freed and the party which failed to take decisive steps against the radical islamists for such a long time. I am sure those members of Ennahda who are in government now are as horrified at what is happening to Tunisia now as the rest of the country, but they should bear in mind that 'they who sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind.'

Lola2312

Aslemma- if u meant me i didnt mean to dislike your post. I probably should have liked it lol

Aslemma

No problem Lola . I simply wondered what you didn't like about it. I wasn't at all offended, as we are all entitled to express our opinions on here.

shona

So sad, I however will still be going at the beginning of May,

shona

i am due to go on saturday.
I hope you still go, my plan is to avoid large tourist attractions, use taxis rather than tour busses for transfers. X

Lola2312

I must have disliked it by accident because i agree with you lol

Im due to go April and unless more attacks happen i will still be going