Terrorist Incident in Tunis Bardo

Aslemma

I'll be back in Sousse on 9th May unless TC cancels the flight. At present the FO only recommends that visitors exercise caution, and unless there are any other major incidents I doubt this will change.

Mezoo

VIP Member
Aslemma- makes me feel i was right to worry about going in April and it has worried me some more.
Scottochott wastelling me I'm stupid to worry and other stuff but this proves im not!

How awful :( what a dreadful day.., my heart goes out to all the innocent people involved. I just wish they could be stopped!
Stay home and don't get killed....in a car accident. Much greater chance of this. p.s. just arrived in tunisia today. I love Tunisia and wish car accidents never happened either.

tdmirm

One of the Bardo terrorists was an activist in Ennahda March 19, 2015

He was called Saber Kachnaoui, seen in this photo pose next to Abdelfattah Mourou, the current Vice President of the National Assembly! This spectacular terrorist attack, which killed 19 people including 17 European tourists, could have been avoided if some executives of the Interior Ministry had taken seriously the information supplied to him by a young Tunisian computer expert, exiled in France .

View attachment 7812
The Ennahda terrorist, Saber Kachnaoui with the "moderate" Islamist, Abdelfattah Mourou, the current vice president of the National Assembly. Photo taken in Tunis in 2012.

Saber Kachnaoui and Yassine Laabidi, the two individuals who conducted the terrorist attack at Bardo and were shot by the police, both come from Sbetla, Kasserine.

They returned from Libya, three months ago, more precisely on December 28, 2014, and hid in City Ettahrir, not far from Tunis, at the home of a greengrocer who belongs to the group, Okba Ibn Nafaaan, to create a diversion, because the cell to which he and the two dead terrorists belongs, is actually Ansar al-Sharia headed by Seifallah Ben Hassine, alias Abu Iyadh.

Both terrorists, along with two other accomplices still at large, had carefully planned their action.

From Ibn Khaldun where Yassine Laabidi lived, they took the subway to the Bardo. They entered the Bardo Palace through the back door which was not guarded.

Their first target was the National Assembly, which adjoins the museum.

Contrary to what has been said by all of our colleagues, including Tunisia-Secret, they did not wear military uniforms. Spotted by the military and the elements of the brigade responsible for protecting VIPs, guarding the National Assembly, they threw a grenade and opened fire on them.

As security forces responded, they retreated into the parking lot of the Bardo Museum, where they immediately fired on two tourist buses that had just arrived. It was at that time that there was the most deaths and injuries. Interim results of this terrorist action: 19 dead, including 17 tourists, including two French and 48 wounded some of them in serious condition. Among the victims Najet, a Tunisian, a mother of three, who was working at the museum, and Ayman Morjane, a police officer.

This spectacular terrorist action could have been avoided if some members of the Interior Ministry had taken seriously the tracking and tracing for the past two months of Amine Slama (a young computing expert specializing in cyber-terrorism, tracking them for months, like many other terrorists). This could have been avoided if the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2003 was in effect. This could have been avoided if the return jihad terrorists in Syria and Iraq were put out of the way upon return to Tunisia. After a stay in the Libyan training camps overseen by Qatar and Turkey, Saber Kachnaoui actually went to fight in Syria.

What has not been said in the media is that Saber Kachnaoui was an Ennahda activist which puts into perpesctive Rached Ghannouchi's statement in which he condemned the terrorist action "through which they wanted to harm the young Tunisian democracy"! Qatar was also, too, the first country to condemn this terrorist action!

Worse still, two years ago, "moderate" Islamist, Saber Kachnaoui, posed with the "very moderate" Islamist, Abdelfattah Mourou, who recently made a courtesy visit to the Grand Mufti of Otan and the Supreme imam of transnational jihadism, Youssef Qaradawi also the spiritual father of the former and the current Emir of Qatar.

Coincidentally, Saber Kachnaoui's Facebook page disappeared a few hours after the attack.

It could not disable itself since he was already dead and identified by police. It is therefore clear that activists of Ennahda removed this really incriminating facebook.

Unluckily for them, computer experts at Tunisia-Secret had time to record as much information and pictures contained on this facebook page, including that of Saber Kachnaoui diining with Abdelfattah Mourou,

View attachment 7813
Top left, Saber Kachnaoui shot by the police. Top right, Yassine Laabidi.
Bottom, left, Saber Kachnaoui & Abdelfattah Mourou. Right, Saber Kachnaoui.

http://www.tunisie-secret.com/Exclusif-L-un-des-terroristes-du-Bardo-etait-un-militant-d-Ennahdha_a1365.html
this is plain stupidity , that guy have the same name of the terrorist and he has nothing to do with the attack lol

Selmi

We too will continue to travel there as normal

luna06

Unexpected holiday to see hubby next Tuesday : ) tickets are dropping down, just hope a safe holiday while in Tunisia. has anyone had problems buying tickets on Tunisairweb site?

mrsmannai

salam :) this can happen anywhere @ anytime, we r a part of the world .. tunisia, is one of the countries that is working the most againts terrorism, and have one of the best securities in this field. the tourists, should be aware of stronger control, and longer time waiting in security checks and so on. this is what terrorism is, creating fear, i hope people will continue to go tunisia, and not let terrorism win.

kadestergordi

Flying out tomorrow to P.E.K been going for years love the place, sadly this is happening everywhere , looking forward to my usual relaxing break.

annibee

Flying out tomorrow to P.E.K been going for years love the place, sadly this is happening everywhere , looking forward to my usual relaxing break.
im flying out tomorrow too x

Aslemma

i'm sure the locals will be even more delighted than usual to see you and you'll have a great time. I've still got 7 weeks to go before I'm back in Sousse.

Seeing Luna's post about flight prices dropping I've just checked Thomas Cook, ;purely out of curiiosity. Prices for early April have certainly dropped a lot, but my flight in May is quite a bit more than when I originally booked it and prices for November are ridiculously high. :(

Scottochott

Glad to see some of you with the right attitude! I for one am going to take advantage of an awful situation and get a cheap flight. Opportunistic maybe, but I prefer to think of it as showing solidarity and helping the country in a very difficult time.

gem15

Being out and about today in sousse there were plenty of tourists around looking relaxed. The saloon had a good mix at lunch time so hopefully people will continue to visit.

annibee

Being out and about today in sousse there were plenty of tourists around looking relaxed. The saloon had a good mix at lunch time so hopefully people will continue to visit.
see you soon x

Lola2312

My flight out in april was pretty cheap i thought! And that was before this happened, i wonder if prices wil drop.

I do hope tourists continye to go to tunisia. Its such an important thing for tunusia as most businesses depend on tourists.
my fiance said theyve stepoed up on police presence etc so hopefully they can keep it under control

Problem is nobody knows what the terrorists next plan is :/

Aslemma

I read that article and it was certainly needed to set the record straight. The police were superb, and despite the tragic loss of life managed to get the situation under control in a relatively short time whilst avoiding any accidental deaths of innocent people. They have proved themselves to be well trained and highly efficient and can give themselves a collective pat on the back.

I am also delighted that I have been proved wrong regarding the effect this may have on tourism. It appears that it has only served to strengthen the resolve of many people to continue visiting Tunisia. On a personal note, I was talking to one of my sons about this and rather than expressing his concern that I will be back there as usual in May he simply said that these things are happening in many countries and people just had to take reasonable precautions as they would anywhere.

Scottochott

Absolutely Aslemma, I hope everyone reads the article.
The salient points are...
The original attack was not on tourists but the government.
It was unfortunate timing that tourist coaches arrived just as the terrorists were being chased by the security services.
Following the tourists into the museum was unfortunate timing, no hostages were taken.
The security forces were on the ground quickly and efficiently, they acted incredibly well and although the deaths were appalling, it seems many more were prevented, and none were due to any sort of "friendly fire".

The enormous reaction of the Tunisian people should be taken as hugely encouraging, personally I am not surprised, given the upheaval of the revolution I am not surprised at the anger and strength shown to resist the minority extremist element. I may criticise the Tunisian mentality at times, but on this subject I am sure they will take the right path.

American and British training seems to have produced a very well trained force. People should be reassured rather than scared. Any of you who are worrying about future trips should acquaint yourselves with the facts and not overreact, after all I haven't heard any calls to avoid France or Denmark after their similar incidents. Those who criticised my previous comments may wish to think again, or maybe just stay at home and never leave their house, terrorist threats exist everywhere these days, but knowledge is power.

I urge everyone to support Tunisia via their social networks, and not to spread the ignorance of unwarranted fear and scaremongering.

Aslemma

I worked for a major internationa company in the City of London when the IRA was active in the area and we all just got on with our lives. I'm also going to Copenhagen in July. When I stop travelling it won't be because of any fears of terroriism but simply because my age or health makes it impossible, which I hope won't be for a few years yet.

Lola2312

Scittochott- if your comment is aimed at me, I've clearly stated i am going back in April and I am still planning to move to Tunisia.
I think its perfectly ressonable to be worried about terrorist threat.
Im sure those poor people that died, never even thought that would happen to them or even worried about the terrorism.
But it did and it could have been any of us

However, you are correct. There are terrorists all over the world,

The difference is Tunisia is a mainly Muslim country and a lot of them may be tempted by islamic state, whereas, i dont think same appkues to France.

Essem

Staff member
It certainly is a worldwide problem now, nowhere is 100% safe and I'm wondering just who is going to step up and eradicate these vermin.

With as many jihadi 'brides' joining their ranks, they'll be breeding like rabbits, keeping the numbers up.

I hope the Tunisian government make an example of the others involved i.e. capital punishment because if they go to prison they could easily try to influence others. Show them no mercy as they did with their victims.

The majority of decent, law abiding Tunisians I have spoken to are frightened for their country and the inevitable fate that awaits them if things were to really get out of control there.

deb123

Absolutely Aslemma, I hope everyone reads the article.
The salient points are...
The original attack was not on tourists but the government.
It was unfortunate timing that tourist coaches arrived just as the terrorists were being chased by the security services.
Following the tourists into the museum was unfortunate timing, no hostages were taken.
The security forces were on the ground quickly and efficiently, they acted incredibly well and although the deaths were appalling, it seems many more were prevented, and none were due to any sort of "friendly fire".

The enormous reaction of the Tunisian people should be taken as hugely encouraging, personally I am not surprised, given the upheaval of the revolution I am not surprised at the anger and strength shown to resist the minority extremist element. I may criticise the Tunisian mentality at times, but on this subject I am sure they will take the right path.

American and British training seems to have produced a very well trained force. People should be reassured rather than scared. Any of you who are worrying about future trips should acquaint yourselves with the facts and not overreact, after all I haven't heard any calls to avoid France or Denmark after their similar incidents. Those who criticised my previous comments may wish to think again, or maybe just stay at home and never leave their house, terrorist threats exist everywhere these days, but knowledge is power.

I urge everyone to support Tunisia via their social networks, and not to spread the ignorance of unwarranted fear and scaremongering.
totally agree and I will be arriving tomorrow as planned (god willing) if i don,t get food poisoning on the plane LOL