Thanks all for your help

chub1

Thanks everyone who helped prior to our holiday.
Just back 15/1/13.Had a week at the Hotel Sinbad in Hammamet where we stayed 40 years ago for our honeymoon.Had a really good week,weather was great,around 18c every day,mostly sunny:D did have a storm on the last morning with torrential rain but soon cleared away.Flight with BA was excellent,transfers 4U were very good and the hotel was also very good.:cool:

Jane BM

Glad you had a great time Chub1.....hopefully not another 40 years till you go back again...lol

Essem

Staff member
Thanks everyone who helped prior to our holiday.
Just back 15/1/13.Had a week at the Hotel Sinbad in Hammamet where we stayed 40 years ago for our honeymoon.Had a really good week,weather was great,around 18c every day,mostly sunny:D did have a storm on the last morning with torrential rain but soon cleared away.Flight with BA was excellent,transfers 4U were very good and the hotel was also very good.:cool:
Hi chub

So pleased that all of your plans worked out well and that you had a good holiday.

What are your thoughts on Tunisia then and now?

chub1

Hi chub

So please that all of your plans worked out well and that you had a good holiday.

What are your thoughts on Tunisia then and now?
Ok will try to be objective,hopefully not rude.
40 years ago there was almost nothing bettween the hotel and the old town save a dusty road and a handfull of shops and what i recall,most of those were either bread shops or small cafes.Not that many vehicles as i recall, but quite a few donkeys/carts being use,little in the way of 'western'/modern dress.Shop keepers very agressive in getting you into their shops down in the town and Medina.Way back then we did Carthage/Tunis,Zaghoune(spl) and Nabuel market which was basically a camel market and not much else.Could have got a hundred camels for my wife though:D .
Went back 15 years ago to the Azziza hotel in the north sector of the town.Still plenty of aggresive selling going on in the shops and getting pestered down by the Medina almost endlessly.Lots of new building going on and new walkways along the sea front.That was in January and it was very quite again.The Azziza was almost empty.Can recall talking to the manager and he was worried about tourist numbers due to all the world troubles back then.
This time around we were virtually left alone !The old cigarette seller was the worst,but a la shukran did the trick:) .It is a shame that the beach is allowed to be abused with rubbish etc and very dissapointed really at the state of the streets,rubbish was quite appalling at times.Can't help but think it will not help to attract visitors back and really think the authorities should attempt to do something about it. The 14th was interesting, national holiday celebrating the 'revolution'.The town was jam packed with people out enjoying themselves and we sat in a packed cafe watching the world go by:) .Very quite out there generally visitor wise and at times down in the town i'm sure we were the only ones there.
People were generally fine,had no problems outside the hotel at all.
Will we go back?,probably not.That is really down to age,feeling less like travelling these days and cost of travel insurance for the over 60's especially for someone with medical history such as myself and having been three times have probably seen a fair amount of the sightsCertainly wouldn't discourage anyone wanting to go however.

Trulymadlydeeply

Thanks for sharing chub :)

Essem

Staff member
Thanks for that Chub.

Mossy

Very interesting post.
Particularly regarding the cleanliness of the country.
Tunisia will not attract tourists back unless they do something about it.

Jane BM

It seems to be a pretty common and constant complaint by pretty much everyone right now....Mossy is right, people absolutely won't be going back if they go there, it's already got its work cut out getting people to go there in the first place right now because I'm sure an awful lot of people who've no 'connection' to Tunisia will be spending their holidays in countries where they feel safe, rightly or wrongly...so if they do overcome that and go, for sure they won't be going back!!

chub1

Its called progress:eek:More people,more packaging,more waste.It's endemic everywhere in every country to a greater or lesser degree.
Having been before we basically knew what to expect and not be shocked but the litter problem was worse this time around.. The two ladies on our coach were going to Yasmine which i guess is newer cleaner and more clinical!.We pulled into the frontage of the Sinbad,which to be fair isn't very impossing for a 5 star hotel and i think they were a bit taken aback:D,is THAT your hotel one asked,looking around at the surrounding roads!!!.
However on the return pickup we spoke to them and they enjoyed the stay in yasmine-20 people only in their hotel however,but they said the furthest they went was just up the road,Mmmmmmm.
With regards to 'feeling safe' we had absolutely no problems at all and never felt threatened at any time and we did go out walking quite a lot both along the beach and the surrounding roads all the way down and past the old town.
Actually felt that people would step aside in many cases rather than try and walk through you,which can't be said for this country.

Mossy

The Sindbad is one of my favorite hotels.

chub1

The Sindbad is one of my favorite hotels.
I booked it through Trevago but on arrival we were upgraded to a suite:).Our daughter had asked unbenknown to us if she could upgrade our room,the price was horendous so she told them NO but they went ahead and altered the booking.She just happened to double check and was told that they would let her have the upgrade( one week) for the price of one night.
Result:D
Ended up with a suite facing the sea,private sunbeds and parasol over looking the beach,patio area with whicker chairs and glass tables,Spa bath,King size bed,seperate toilet/bathroom and showers,bathrobes slippers,fruit etc:cool:

Jane BM

I booked it through Trevago but on arrival we were upgraded to a suite:).Our daughter had asked unbenknown to us if she could upgrade our room,the price was horendous so she told them NO but they went ahead and altered the booking.She just happened to double check and was told that they would let her have the upgrade( one week) for the price of one night.
Result:D
Ended up with a suite facing the sea,private sunbeds and parasol over looking the beach,patio area with whicker chairs and glass tables,Spa bath,King size bed,seperate toilet/bathroom and showers,bathrobes slippers,fruit etc:cool:
I want your daughter to do any of my future bookings....lol

chub1

I want your daughter to do any of my future bookings....lol
Will see if we can come to some sort of agreeable arangement:)
Cash in hand
No cheques,sorry:D :D:D