The FCO advise against travel to Tunisia

abenharb

Hello everyone. Tunisia has been by far a very welcoming country and we consider tourists and foreigners as family... For the last few years the hole world has changed because of some scumbags... Tunisia was hit by terrorism. Because of that, tourism now is really hurt. As a result, the majority of the economy is suffering. Thousands of tourist jobs have been lost, thousands of businesses closed and the situation is getting worse because many countries are still considering Tunisia as a threat. The government and the people are doing their best to make sure that our guests security is a primary issue. It's true that zero risk is impossible but it's also true that if this situation continues... Tunisia would be a disaster soon... What can we do as expats, Tunisian nationals and Tunisian friends to save he situation?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
At the end of the day Tunisia needs millions of visitors to get back on its feet....and billions of $ coming in.

To support millions of visitors its not just love, sentiment or effort its the industrial scale logistics of promoting, selling, insuring, transporting, serving and then returning these millions of customers.

If you cannot ensure that deaths are preventable you a) Would not want to endanger your customers b) would not be able to assure your investors that you would not have to cancel again and loose millions c) will not get insurance either way making it a non starter.

People may be doing their best simply its admirable but futile if it only takes one nut case and he has 40 minutes to kill 38 people not to mention the bardo attack where a further 22 people killed.

There is no solution for large scale tourism aside from one..... years of incident free tourism for those that do come and government agencies such as the FCO looking at the situation and saying its good to go to Tunisia.

2-3 years after that things would then start to come back.

I have resigned myself that the best thing I can do for Tunisia at this time is cut back my own spending and keep sending money to my friends/relatives over there as it seems to be getting worse and worse economically.

Tunisia should go all out to attract investment from expat Tunisians and loyal investors. They can start with making it cheap enough to fly to tunisia that those who want to come can do so for the weekend an or go from 1 visit a year to 3/4.

Scottochott

Another problem for investors is the bureaucratic nightmare of outdated paper based systems, and despite promises to the contrary, permits and authorisations take literally years to be processed. The constant changing of ministers and district governors exacerbates the problem. I also suspect that investors from those countries whose governments have recommended against travel there, are being left at the bottom of the pile.

Aslemma

I also suspect that investors from those countries whose governments have recommended against travel there, are being left at the bottom of the pile.
You can't blame the Tunisians for that. Countries which say they are supporting the country but do nothing to help, instead teling their citizens not to go there, can hardly expect that country to fall over backwards to make things easy for their potential imvestors

Aslemma

Apparently Thomas Cook have been trying to contact me, I contacted them via Facebook and they messaged me in reply but FB deleted it because "the message has been sent from an app which doesn't have authority to send messages" (you couldn't make it up)! I messaged them again pointing this out and got a message this evening on my tablet (which doesn't show on my desk-top) sayijng they had been trying to ring me but there was no answer so could I ring them. My phone didn't ring when I was in, and there was nothing on my answer machine when I got back from my short trip to the shops so I'll give them a ring when they open at 9 am.

Aslemma

Latest update. They had given me 2 numbers to ring them on and the first cut out on me twice. I tried the second number, 01733 224896, and got through quite quickly to a very helpful man. He asked which card I had paid with (they don't have details of that) and apparently I guessed right as the refund went through and should be on my card in a few days. They are sending me a cancelation invoice.

Aslemma

Before doing anything else I thought I'd better check up transfer prices to Sousse from Tunis. A2B/Resort Hoppa are only offering private transfers at over £100 but Alpha Rooms have shuttle transfers at £12.14 return and they are also taking hotel bookings.

Paula1975

Excellent! So finally you can get booked and sorted, about time too Thomas cook. Although why they have to make things so difficult is beyond me!!x

Aslemma

I have a strong feeling that if I'd left it to them to advise me flights were cancelled I'd still be waiting! Anyway, I've had a look at Tunisair and there appear to be plenty of seats for May flying from Gatwick so, as I very much doubt that the hotels will be anything like fully booked, I'm not in any particular hurry.

gem15

I have a strong feeling that if I'd left it to them to advise me flights were cancelled I'd still be waiting! Anyway, I've had a look at Tunisair and there appear to be plenty of seats for May flying from Gatwick so, as I very much doubt that the hotels will be anything like fully booked, I'm not in any particular hurry.
Be careful when booking from Gatwick as a friend of mine has had her flight cancelled and moved onto heathrow for the next day in February. I guess there's not enough passengers.

sass

Be careful when booking from Gatwick as a friend of mine has had her flight cancelled and moved onto heathrow for the next day in February. I guess there's not enough passengers.
Sometimes there isn't a choice, I've flown out from Heathrow and returned to Gatwick, a real pain.

gem15

Sometimes there isn't a choice, I've flown out from Heathrow and returned to Gatwick, a real pain.
Mondays and Thursdays are Gatwick the rest of the flights are Heathrow. I don't think they fly on Wednesday now. It also doesn't give the option of LGW or LHR just London on the website so many people think they are flying back to the same airport the originated from.

sass

Mondays and Thursdays are Gatwick the rest of the flights are Heathrow. I don't think they fly on Wednesday now. It also doesn't give the option of LGW or LHR just London on the website so many people think they are flying back to the same airport the originated from.
Thanks Gem, never sussed that out, flew out on a Friday and back on a Monday I understand why now, need to get my brain working!

gem15

Thanks Gem, never sussed that out, flew out on a Friday and back on a Monday I understand why now, need to get my brain working!
So many people make the same mistaken but I blame the Tunisair website for not being clear.

Aslemma

i couldn't get my head round the Tunisair site but found the flight on Expedia. I'm not bothered about which day I fly on but do want a direct flight and preferably from Gatwick as I can't now go from Stansted. I did wonder whether they may cancel some flights if they don't get enough passengers so I may have to have a Plan B, but it certainly can't go via Europe.