The Great Mosque - Sousse

Essem

Staff member
The Great Mosque:

Located near the Ribat, The Great Mosque of Sousse was built in 850 during the reign of the Aghlabid emir Abu el Abbas, as the model of the Great Mosque of Sidi Okba Kairouan.

Its position, in front of the Medina entrance, had security reasons.

The mosque looks like a fortress with a massive architecture, flanked by two small tours.

Inside there is a long rectangular courtyard, prayer hall, divided into 13 aisles which is very extended.

The prayer hall is ornated with a kufic script with italic letters; same features scripted on the facade of the mosque Bou Ftata.

The originality of the mosque lies in the fact that it has no minaret, which was not considered to be essential at that time. It is a mosque in a simple style and rich, beautiful and austere at the same time .

mosque.jpg

Aslemma

Are non-moslems allowed inside at certain timesEssem? I went into one in Singapore and found it very interesting.

Essem

Staff member
Are non-moslems allowed inside at certain timesEssem? I went into one in Singapore and found it very interesting.
I don't know Aslemma but will try to find out for you.

Aslemma

Thanks Essem. No rush as I'm unlikely to be back before early November unfortunately, if at all this year.