The Tunisian Online Teaching Thread../translation thread

missmetal

I don't believe there a sound represented by the number 2
I've seen it a lot. Can you help with the translation of these?

as2el normal
7a2ak 3alaya

rabah

From the second expression which means 'i owe you' the 2 represents a QA and 2 is used where 9 should be.
Now If you place a 9 instead of 2 in the first sentence, it is meaningless other than something is normal.

Cheri Paris

Hi All,

I'd be most appreciative if someone could translate these English phrases...I find the need to use them often (lol)

Are you listening to me
You are not listening to me
I am not listening to you
I am listening to you
I don't care

rabah

Hi All,

I'd be most appreciative if someone could translate these English phrases...I find the need to use them often (lol)

Are you listening to me
(inte) tesmaa fiya?
You are not listening to me
(inte) maakesh tesmaa fiya
I am not listening to you
(ana) Maneesh nesmaa feek
I am listening to you
(ana)nesmaa feek
I don't care
(ana)Maa ehimneesh
The pronoun between() is optional and redundant.

Last edited:

Burton

Can anyone explain the meaning of the numbers and the actual pronunciation of the numbers with examples in English please. Thanks. Is it the same as an English text message? for example: 'I will c u b 4 you go to Tunisia r u going to Bizerte 2?'

Last edited:
Can someone help please thanks in advance :)

bel7out 3la weld el7ou

missmetal

Can anyone explain the meaning of the numbers and the actual pronunciation of the numbers with examples in English please. Thanks. Is it the same as an English text message? for example: 'I will c u b 4 you go to Tunisia r u going to Bizerte 2?'
I dont think its the same as our english texts

Here's what I know and how I relate to them...but practice is needed

2 - still cant figure this one out
3 - aa (but you kinda have work that sound from the back of your throat like when you stick your tongue out and say aaaa for the doctor LOL )
5 - G
7 - Ha (say it like its your last breath LOL)
8 - Gh ( i think this is just lazy tho. my hubbys bro's name is Baligh and some write it bali8)
9 - Q

Burton

Fab yes you are right it would take some kind of double translation, but good to know the vocal sounds, and lol you are spot on but make me laugh in a nice way with your explanations. Love the 7..!! you are a star :)

bel7out 3la weld el7ou can anyone help translate this please :)

ROULLA

bel7out 3la weld el7ou can anyone help translate this please :)
Hi Lindsey, hope that you are well!

Bel7out is like Mashallah ....You must of heard this many times in Tunisia, as it is used quite a lot,,,,

I will give you an example...... Lets say you see a beautiful girl and you tell her that she is Meziena ( Beautiful) , you would follow this by Mashallah,, so that she is protected by god or from the evil eye,,,,,Does this make sense ?

Nearly everything in Tunisia is followed by Mashallah , saha or tabarakala

Example....Someone who has had their hair cut would be told straight after SAHA

bel7out 3la weld el7ou----------Praise and protect the son of my brother. I don't really think that you can translate this exactly if that makes sense.

Hope that you understand what I was trying to write.:)

Burton

Mashallah is a common phrase it's like God Bless, it sort of means in English, but someone can correct me.

Burton

Every taxi driver says this in Tunisia, well at least to us tourists lol!!;)

rabah

El7out is fish. When you go to the Jewelers in Tunisia, you will notice they sell little silver or gold fish or dolphins. These pieces of jewelry are traditionally worn to protect the person wearing them from the evil eye, hence the expression 'el7ut aaleek' to wish someone protection from the evil eye or any other harm.

Burton

Rabah how do you pronounce El7out in English?

rabah

Rabah how do you pronounce El7out in English?
It would be elhuut where the 'h' sound comes from the back of the throat, it sounds like when you blow warm air on your cold hands, followed by a long 'u'

Hi Lindsey, hope that you are well!

Bel7out is like Mashallah ....You must of heard this many times in Tunisia, as it is used quite a lot,,,,

I will give you an example...... Lets say you see a beautiful girl and you tell her that she is Meziena ( Beautiful) , you would follow this by Mashallah,, so that she is protected by god or from the evil eye,,,,,Does this make sense ?

Nearly everything in Tunisia is followed by Mashallah , saha or tabarakala

Example....Someone who has had their hair cut would be told straight after SAHA

bel7out 3la weld el7ou----------Praise and protect the son of my brother. I don't really think that you can translate this exactly if that makes sense.

Hope that you understand what I was trying to write.:)

Ahhh yes I understand thank you so much :)

Burton

It would be elhuut where the 'h' sound comes from the back of the throat, it sounds like when you blow warm air on your cold hands, followed by a long 'u'
Lovely explanation, gosh no wonder I love the Arabic language:)

I am trying to work out what the attached proverb says and means in English, but have not had any luck.

Tried using a OCR translator and it came up with this:
طجلععهرم نيلي للي الم ،
لأ للي الم ط عاشت للحيالحرم،
بل لمنع ليلى للجف للك خلطج لي الكيك

But the above text does not seem to match the original jpeg image.

Can someone please help translate into English and also explain the meaning, if possible?

Many thanks in advance.1235120_433947476707961_1330426912_n.jpg