This is massive, hope Tunisia follows suit!!

Mezoo

VIP Member
would be good, does anyone think it's possible in tunisia?

rachyrach

I cannot access the link, but from the title, I sure hope Tunisia can follow suit. It will give many ( hundreds ) probably, a huge sigh of relief.

Trulymadlydeeply

Accession of Morocco to the Hague Abduction Convention

Created on Thursday, 29 November 2012 19:40
Written by State Department

Washington, DC - On December 1, 2012, the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Convention) will enter into force between the United States and Morocco. The United States now partners with 70 countries under the Convention.
The Convention is the primary civil law mechanism for parents seeking the return of children who have been abducted from or retained outside their country of habitual residence by another parent or family member. Parents seeking access to children residing in treaty partner countries may also invoke the Convention. The Convention is critically important because it establishes a formalized diplomatic channel through which partner countries can cooperate on international parental child abduction and establishes an internationally recognized framework to resolve parental abduction cases. The Convention does not address who should have custody of the child; it addresses where the custody case should be heard.
The Office of Children's Issues, as the Central Authority for the United States, congratulates the Ministry of Justice, Morocco's Central Authority, for this accomplishment. We welcome Morocco to the Convention and look forward to working together on this critical issue.

Jane BM

It has to be the way forward surely? If they want the world to take their country seriously then it needs to sign up to this amongst many others no doubt. Otherwise they'll never be viewed as a democratic or fair regime.

missmetal

Progress...about time Morocco did something this positive for that part of the world, hopefully Tunisia will follow...

Enith Maldonado

Accession of Morocco to the Hague Abduction Convention

Created on Thursday, 29 November 2012 19:40

Written by State Department

Washington, DC - On December 1, 2012, the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Convention) will enter into force between the United States and Morocco. The United States now partners with 70 countries under the Convention.
The Convention is the primary civil law mechanism for parents seeking the return of children who have been abducted from or retained outside their country of habitual residence by another parent or family member. Parents seeking access to children residing in treaty partner countries may also invoke the Convention. The Convention is critically important because it establishes a formalized diplomatic channel through which partner countries can cooperate on international parental child abduction and establishes an internationally recognized framework to resolve parental abduction cases. The Convention does not address who should have custody of the child; it addresses where the custody case should be heard.
The Office of Children's Issues, as the Central Authority for the United States, congratulates the Ministry of Justice, Morocco's Central Authority, for this accomplishment. We welcome Morocco to the Convention and look forward to working together on this critical issue.
It is the reasonable thing to do.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Just sounds fair to me real test will be when a American mother/father takes her kids from Morocco where they are resident and then the dad tries to get them back via this method.

Did the deal cut both ways before or do both countries have to be signatories?

Enith Maldonado

Just sounds fair to me real test will be when a American mother/father takes her kids from Morocco where they are resident and then the dad tries to get them back via this method.

Did the deal cut both ways before or do both countries have to be signatories?
Last year the US returned 262 children who were abducted or detained in the states to their country of orgin under the convention. Child abduction is considered a be a federal crime and a congress stated that international abduction is harmful to well being of the child regardless of country they are abducted from. In the states you are protected as a parent even if you are not a US citizen under the Hague convention and have every right to be reunited with your child.

Have you heard of Kelly Rutherford, she is a n actress here in the US and a couple of months ago a Los Angeles Judge ruled that her 2 young children would remain in France with their father. The children were born in the US and yet an American judge thought it best that they remain with their father. I don't agree with the ruling but the point is that the judicial system in the States does not always side with the parent just because the are American,

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Then this is a much better solution than the one currently in place you can only ask for fairness.

Enith Maldonado

Then this is a much better solution than the one currently in place you can only ask for fairness.
Yes then I can visit beautiful Tunisia and my daughter can meet the other half of her family knowing we can both return home safely. In the meantime I can rely on books,films and photos so she can learn about her Tunsian heritage. She has already been to Puerto Rico twice so far and loves it .