Topping up income with savings - Tunisia to UK 2.5 year Visa

Sosh

I recently got married to my Tunisian husband and we are now thinking about his settlement over here.
I earn a couple of pounds over £15,100 a year (gross), so don't reach the £18,600 financial requirement as is.
My mother passed away late last year without a will, so everything went to my father, but he is giving us all a share of her savings, which although I wish it was under different circumstances, does come in useful in our current situation.
So my understanding from reading the guidance notes for the settlement visa application, is that I can 'top up' my earnings with savings.

I know that the first £16,000 of savings will not be counted (something to do with the cap for receiving benefits) so by my working I need an extra £3,600 for 2.5 years.

£3,600 x 2.5 = £10,800, this means I will need at least £26,800 in savings if I'm working it all out right?

I have just put £1200 into a Help to Buy ISA which I can increase by another £200 to £1400 at the start of August.
So I need another £25,000+ in another savings account. I'm getting a very slight wage increase in a couple of months but if I want to start the 6 months that I have to have held the amount in savings from now, this is where I'm working from. Looking to apply 6 or 7 months from now in the first few months of 2020.

Hoping somebody else on here has done things this way and can tell me if I'm on the right track?

Thanks very much in advance :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I recently got married to my Tunisian husband and we are now thinking about his settlement over here.
I earn a couple of pounds over £15,100 a year (gross), so don't reach the £18,600 financial requirement as is.
My mother passed away late last year without a will, so everything went to my father, but he is giving us all a share of her savings, which although I wish it was under different circumstances, does come in useful in our current situation.
So my understanding from reading the guidance notes for the settlement visa application, is that I can 'top up' my earnings with savings.

I know that the first £16,000 of savings will not be counted (something to do with the cap for receiving benefits) so by my working I need an extra £3,600 for 2.5 years.

£3,600 x 2.5 = £10,800, this means I will need at least £26,800 in savings if I'm working it all out right?

I have just put £1200 into a Help to Buy ISA which I can increase by another £200 to £1400 at the start of August.
So I need another £25,000+ in another savings account. I'm getting a very slight wage increase in a couple of months but if I want to start the 6 months that I have to have held the amount in savings from now, this is where I'm working from. Looking to apply 6 or 7 months from now in the first few months of 2020.

Hoping somebody else on here has done things this way and can tell me if I'm on the right track?

Thanks very much in advance :)
I always assumed it was 3x years money like 60,000 and it could not be gifted or if it was it had to be in there for 6 months at least. This would then bes classed as "independent means"but maybe the rules have changed.

Sounds like its going to be a struggle.

With the minimum wage £8.21 per hour a near minimum wage 40 hour a week job should nearly be enough.

Maybe take a weekend job for a while? 8.21 x 6 = 2.x k a year then interest on you savings should put you over the target.

Sosh

I always assumed it was 3x years money like 60,000 and it could not be gifted or if it was it had to be in there for 6 months at least. This would then bes classed as "independent means"but maybe the rules have changed.

Sounds like its going to be a struggle.

With the minimum wage £8.21 per hour a near minimum wage 40 hour a week job should nearly be enough.

Maybe take a weekend job for a while? 8.21 x 6 = 2.x k a year then interest on you savings should put you over the target.

Maybe I didn't explain it very well. I need to make up the difference between my annual wage and the £18,600 requirement for 2.5 years for the visa we will apply for. I just found out I will be getting a pay increase from 1st August which will take me nearer to £16,000 per year (I think you have to give evidence from your employer that you have been earning the amount stated for more than 6 months, which I will have been by the time we apply), so I'll still need an extra £2,600 per year for 2.5 years (£6,500). So I think I now need at least £22,500 in savings.
This money will be in my savings account within a few days, transferred by my father from my late mother. I will have £25,000-26,000 in 2 accounts by the end of next week.
We are not even thinking of applying for anything until the money has been in my account, untouched, for 6+ months.
We applied for a visit visa for him to come over for the funeral after my mum died suddenly, but that was denied because tbh we rushed it just trying to get him over. So we'd rather wait until everything is right before we apply for anything again. We're also considering using an immigration lawyer just to make sure we have everything covered.

MO2915

Hi Sosh, I know that you are aware of how strict the UK spouse(non EU) visa is and what a struggle to bring loved ones back here. It is a dilemma going through all these processes while any one from the EU can come in and get freebies as they wish. I don't agree with Brexit but that is a bigger problem than bringing your loved one from another country. Most immigrants to UK are from EU not Africa or else.

The main thing I say is that you need to show UK immigration that you can look after your husband while he's here, thus money. From experience here, your husband will work hard like we all did.

Your income is key. But to be honest, UK immigration people are not stupid either. They accumulated so much data to suss out potential money/visa grabbing husbands and you have to accept that and show them that is not the case. That's why they are so stringent and I agree with them.

In Tunisia they changed the laws for FCR cos so many people are profiting from bringing cars to the country to the detriment of the car industry and the economy of Tunisia.

My latter example is an anecdote, meaning what can your husband bring to the UK? How will he benefit the UK? Will he use the benefit system to live off, are you able to support him while in UK instead of asking for social benefits? That's what matters in the end.

I don't know if your inheritance will help but it is your constant income and taxes that HMRC are interested in. If you fulfil that and your husband will be here.

Hope that helps.

MO2915

"We're also considering using an immigration lawyer just to make sure we have everything covered."
Forgot to say. Please don't waste your money. Use your money to improve your chances to bring your loved one.
Immigration rules need to be met no matter what. Rules are rules.

Sosh

Hi Sosh, I know that you are aware of how strict the UK spouse(non EU) visa is and what a struggle to bring loved ones back here. It is a dilemma going through all these processes while any one from the EU can come in and get freebies as they wish. I don't agree with Brexit but that is a bigger problem than bringing your loved one from another country. Most immigrants to UK are from EU not Africa or else.

The main thing I say is that you need to show UK immigration that you can look after your husband while he's here, thus money. From experience here, your husband will work hard like we all did.

Your income is key. But to be honest, UK immigration people are not stupid either. They accumulated so much data to suss out potential money/visa grabbing husbands and you have to accept that and show them that is not the case. That's why they are so stringent and I agree with them.

In Tunisia they changed the laws for FCR cos so many people are profiting from bringing cars to the country to the detriment of the car industry and the economy of Tunisia.

My latter example is an anecdote, meaning what can your husband bring to the UK? How will he benefit the UK? Will he use the benefit system to live off, are you able to support him while in UK instead of asking for social benefits? That's what matters in the end.

I don't know if your inheritance will help but it is your constant income and taxes that HMRC are interested in. If you fulfil that and your husband will be here.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply MO2915.
My husband plans to open a Tunisian street food takeaway/very small capacity restaurant in the UK. He will have financing from his father and/or the sale of some properties in Tunisia. I hate saying to people that he doesn't need me as he has money of his own, but it's true, and he would happily stay in Tunisia, it's me that wants us to live in the UK.

I think from my finances and from our history it will be clear that we are genuine and that even on my income I'm pretty financially stable and we have the support of well off parents if we do need anything extra. We know it won't be a walk in the park but I think we have a lot in our favour.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your reply MO2915.
My husband plans to open a Tunisian street food takeaway/very small capacity restaurant in the UK. He will have financing from his father and/or the sale of some properties in Tunisia. I hate saying to people that he doesn't need me as he has money of his own, but it's true, and he would happily stay in Tunisia, it's me that wants us to live in the UK.

I think from my finances and from our history it will be clear that we are genuine and that even on my income I'm pretty financially stable and we have the support of well off parents if we do need anything extra. We know it won't be a walk in the park but I think we have a lot in our favour.
The first bit wont cut it as thats not actually right now, akin to saying when i get to the UK I will x/y/z.

You parents money will be their money unless they give you x years worth of money in your account up front. I would professionally check this as I was told 60,000£+ in account for at least 6 months.... 3 years of £18,600

IE its would be your money and not just popped in there and popped out again.

Sosh

The first bit wont cut it as thats not actually right now, akin to saying when i get to the UK I will x/y/z.

You parents money will be their money unless they give you x years worth of money in your account up front. I would professionally check this as I was told 60,000£+ in account for at least 6 months.... 3 years of £18,600

IE its would be your money and not just popped in there and popped out again.
The money that my dad has given me (£24,000) can stay in my account for as long as I need it, and will have been there for at least the 6 months required when we apply for the visa. This is just topping up my income to the threshold, so I'm not sure why it would need to be £60k but maybe I've got it really wrong.

As for what my husband plans to do when he is here, if they don't care what his plans are, then at least they will see that he has the funds available to do it and won't be needing to receive any kind of state assistance.