Tourist arrivals down 1.8%

Essem

Staff member

salim

Aslemma

It may only be a small drop but it's a move in the wrong direction when by now, 2 years after the revolution, tourism should at least be back to its previous level, with clear signs of further improvements on the horizon. Some blame must inevitably be put on the major holiday companies, who are certainly not doing enough to promote Tunisia as a viable alternative to Europe or the more exotic (and expensive) Far East etc. However, the Tunisian government itself is not helping, as though it 'talks the talk' about the country being inclusive and safe for all, people abroad now have easy access to stories which give the lie to this and make them feel uneasy. Once it was seen as a relaxed, safe and friendly place which also happened to be reasonably inexpensive and did not involve too long a flight for many in Europe. The only things which remains the same now are the relatively short flight and the friendliness of the majority of the Tunisian people, and for many these alone are not enough. I still feel that most regular visitors will remain loyal, but this is not enough to rebuild the economy

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
For me it boils down to this... Am I wanted there?

I have to go every year but if i did not why would I go its not the cheapest any more that seems to be Turkey.

The tax on alcohol has made it dearer to drink and generally you do worry if there is a small % chance of trouble when you are in Tunisia. If your planning a few grand holiday with the kids this is a risk you might not want to take and thus you just stick to the last minute deals.

With a focus and a clear message I am sure it can be turned around but it will still take time.

Aslemma

It is clear from those I have talked to that most Tunisians want us there, particularly those who service the tourist industry. However, the message from the government is less clear, as has been proved by their inability/reluctance to quash the rising tide of rhetoric and worse from those who wish to remove the freedoms which have made the country so welcoming.

Neil

This in part IMO is due to the fantastic offers available elsewhere I can get a 5 star hotel that is 5 stars and not a 4 star pretending to be one that actually is a 3 star in Tunisia. There are so many great offers in far better hotels for the same money ok Tunisia has its own specific charm but for the AI brigade its a no brainer.

Aslemma

You certainly have a point there Neil. Last year my hotel was changed to the 5* Orient Palace in Sousse as the 3* one I had booked had closed down. I can't comment on the AI aspect as I always go HB but in many respects the hotel was a 3* at most, badly in need of redecoration and decidedly tatty. It didn't bother me as it was comfortable enough and I only need somewhere to sleep and get a meal, but if 'd booked and paid for 5* I would have been seriously annoyed. The Movenpik is also a 5* and the difference between them is like chalk and cheese. :(

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
You certainly have a point there Neil. Last year my hotel was changed to the 5* Orient Palace in Sousse as the 3* one I had booked had closed down. I can't comment on the AI aspect as I always go HB but in many respects the hotel was a 3* at most, badly in need of redecoration and decidedly tatty. It didn't bother me as it was comfortable enough and I only need somewhere to sleep and get a meal, but if 'd booked and paid for 5* I would have been seriously annoyed. The Movenpik is also a 5* and the difference between them is like chalk and cheese. :(
A problem also is that the hotels in Tunisia where sometimes built with gifts/ropey loans erog they built them too large as that was the one time you got the money.

A true five star hotel is going to cost a load of money to renovate. Times that by 200+ rooms and you can see there is no way they can get generate the capex required to keep the hotels current.

A few need knocking down I dont think they will ever be full or updated, better to have some smaller boutique hotels to balance things out.

Neil

well whilst I can pay the same for a 3-4* in Tunisia and get a true 5* hotel in Egypt or Turkey even Greece and Cyprus at the moment I will need to consider my options for Sept/Oct.
Tunisians do not seem interested at the moment, out of over 30 private villa owners I have emailed direct 2 have replied to me?

ROULLA

Good afternoon Everyone hope that you are all well!

Now I am not to sure if this is the right thread for me to place this but being that this thread is about Tourism I thought that it would be a good idea to share a clip that I saw on the BBC NEWS with you all.

I would also like to say that if Tunisia charged a little less for their flights then I am more than sure that people would think twice about going as they charge an arm and a leg during the summer season and I have seen many hotels without clients.
Tunis Air at the moment are charging £335 for the month of July and they have now started to give discounts for children under 12:rolleyes: which is £30,,Oh well better late than never even though it has taken them over 30 years for the discount:(

Jane BM

Good afternoon Everyone hope that you are all well!

Now I am not to sure if this is the right thread for me to place this but being that this thread is about Tourism I thought that it would be a good idea to share a clip that I saw on the BBC NEWS with you all.

I would also like to say that if Tunisia charged a little less for their flights then I am more than sure that people would think twice about going as they charge an arm and a leg during the summer season and I have seen many hotels without clients.
Tunis Air at the moment are charging £335 for the month of July and they have now started to give discounts for children under 12:rolleyes: which is £30,,Oh well better late than never even though it has taken them over 30 years for the discount:(
Both really interesting clips Roulla.....different kinds of trips for different types of tourists....the first one especially about the Eco tourism looks amazing and 'authentic', the real Tunisia....

ROULLA

This is what was said back in January 2013.