Traditional dishes

MellieC

thanks ROU,

I will be honest and say that when i have a "proper" cooker again and my kitcehn with all my bits and bobs ~ I will be rooting through the recipie section lol

got a couple of good cook books too!

MellieC

and can someone please tell the idiot I married when i obviously had a mental mishap, that roast chicken, salad, harricot beans in tomato sauce (baked beans!!!) and chips are VERY ENGLISH THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gawd today hes looking death in the face let alone divorce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madmum

Im hoping this is the right place for this, if not, sorry, but Im getting desperate!

Im wondering if it is possible to buy 'cream' in Tunisia, I have looked at the local Monoprix and touta and carrefour and it could be that I really am as blind as a bat and I keep missing it, but I cant find it anywhere!!

I love baking, but am finding it hard to make my kids favourites without it, if there is no cream out here then Ill need to find some sort of substitute, but I thought Id ask on here first!

I dont mind what kind of cream, double, single.....anything!!!

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks!

ROULLA

Im hoping this is the right place for this, if not, sorry, but Im getting desperate!

Im wondering if it is possible to buy 'cream' in Tunisia, I have looked at the local Monoprix and touta and carrefour and it could be that I really am as blind as a bat and I keep missing it, but I cant find it anywhere!!

I love baking, but am finding it hard to make my kids favourites without it, if there is no cream out here then Ill need to find some sort of substitute, but I thought Id ask on here first!

I dont mind what kind of cream, double, single.....anything!!!

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks!

Hi Madmum hope that you and your family are all in good health! I had an idea but i am not too sure how it will work but i was thinking what about if you buy Nestles cream and then give that a good whip .. I use this in Tunisia rather than milk , it is a white tin you can buy this in most supermarkets.. If not there is a link that may also help you.. Or what about carnations, thats nice as well..

http://www.ochef.com/980.htm

madmum

Great thanks a bunch!!! I had saw Carnations in the shops, but I also like to make fresh ice cream so Im not sure Carnations will work in that but Ill def look out for that tin when shopping tomorrow and give it a try once my ice cream maker gets here!

I have to confess I dont get on well with milk either so Ill need to try it in my coffee as well!

Thanks again!!!

C

Cas

Madmum, if you give me an idea of the recipes you use I can give you a good idea of substitutes of items you can use or make up the ingredient you are missing from quite surprising foods.

NetNiet

For ice cream it's not working I think but I make desserts and sauce with creme fraiche

C

Cas

Do you not all make a custard, milk and egg yolks for the base of your ice cream?

NetNiet

LOL Cas, I buy the ice cream, I'm not a princess in the kitchen! LOL

Essem

Staff member
Do you not all make a custard, milk and egg yolks for the base of your ice cream?

I made a custard base for the Cranberry and Vodka semifreddo but for the Pina colada ice cream it was double cream and icing sugar. Both no churn - quick and easy to make. And taste delicious!

skele

I would say creme fraiche too, pretty much the same as cream and available everywhere in Tunisia.

sinda

You can get perfectly good cream here but sometimes the dairy stocks are low and they do not make it. It is always labelled Crème Fraiche. What is confusing is that some of the Crème Fraiche is what we would call sour cream or creme fraiche in the UK and some of it isn't and there is no way of knowing for sure without tasting it. I always go for the UHT version - one is in a big blue container just like the milk containers and another half size one by Yogo. Good luck!

madmum

Yeah I found out the hard way about Crème Fraiche, we made choc mousse for friends on Sat, and H bought what he thought was Crème Fraiche so we all had a blob on top of our mousse......wasnt good!!

I guess its all gonna be trial and error, but ice cream was one of the things the kids are desperate for me to make (once the shipment arrives!!) apart from my little boy, as he is dairy intolerant I make him sorbets.....looks like it might be sorbets instead of ice cream instead!!!

Cas, I normally make a custard base for my ice cream yes, but then churn it with cream, once I find all my recipes Ill get back to you for substitutes....thanks!

We only been in the house since Dec and I have to admit I still feel a bit lost walking round carrefour....surprisingly (not!) its all different out here, but Im still finding my feet!

Janan

Banned
OK< there was discussion about halal food and BM closed the thread - why?

C

Cas

Don`t know why Janan.

ROULLA

once they offered us in hotel at day of natinal dishes the green peppers in dark green souce. It was not eatible, very strange taste, dont you know somebody what is the name of this dish?

Janan i wonder if this is roast peppers all mashed up with garlic which is called slata mishswaya if this is what you are talking about then this is one of my favourite dips...

Janan

Banned
Roulla thanks telling that this is a dip! Whad is possible to dip in? meat, bread - what usually? please and thanks
last time I bought bunch of garlic in Tabarka - it was fresch whole winter till now - excellent quality and taste :)

Essem

Staff member
errahaba 16.jpgTaboona.