traditions and superstitions

lainie

hi all
thought i would start a thread on traditions and superstitions as i was asking his royal tuneness about the fishtail ornaments that you see hanging everywhere ie on the louage, in taxis and even one hanging from one of our wedding photos in the house.

it fell off mid argument and he told me it was warding off the evil eye.
i tried to explain about lucky rabbits feet but he was repulsed.

his mum is always pinning safety pins on me and the children too - think this is about being out of sight but not mind.

does anyone know anymore?

FoxyRoxie89

lucky rabbits feet? Tell me more................

lainie

sounds kinky but its not

as kids we had keyrings made frm fake rabbit fur, as a rabbits foot was considered lucky tho not for the bunny, lol

lainie

got this from wiki:

It is widely believed that a rabbit's foot possesses power to bring good luck to its holder. This is believed to have stemmed from the pre-Celtic tradition of hunter clans rite of passage for their adolescent members. These young males were first introduced to hunting rabbits, as an introduction to his apprenticeship as a hunter. If they were successful, one of the hind feet of the rabbit was presented to them in a ceremony which would welcome them to manhood within the clan

bobby g

I've heard of the lucky rabbits foot, (maybe it's my celtic ancestry LOL) as you say not so lucky for the rabbit.

In Turkey they have those blue glass pendants.."Turkish eyes" they hang over doorways just about everywhere. If you buy something they give you litle tiny ones on tiny safety pins. They are also suposed to ward off the evil eye and to bring good luck. I gave one each to my daughter and son...my son's kitchen ceiling fell in:eek: and my daughter had a flood her her kitchen:eek:. So not lucky for either of them, they took them down after that...:p

Maybe they only work in Turkey.:)

Black Mamba

We have that blue eye thing, we have the whole fish not just the fish tail ( they either draw it or make a fish out of silver/gold or any other material) we have Fatma's hand ( or Miriam's hand for Jews)...

lainie

Hi BM, what about the safety pin thing?
can you explain?

ROULLA

hi all
thought i would start a thread on traditions and superstitions as i was asking his royal tuneness about the fishtail ornaments that you see hanging everywhere ie on the louage, in taxis and even one hanging from one of our wedding photos in the house.

it fell off mid argument and he told me it was warding off the evil eye.
i tried to explain about lucky rabbits feet but he was repulsed.

his mum is always pinning safety pins on me and the children too - think this is about being out of sight but not mind.

does anyone know anymore?
Hi Lainie hope that you and your husband are both well! I am always using the ( CANONE sorry about spelling )in the house here or in Tunisia as my mum always done this but they also do it in Tunisia as well..
It is a ceramic type bowl sort of thing and you place hot charcoal inside with poure which is smelling kind of herbs that is the only way that i can describe them, you can buy these from any market or places that sell olives and things, they look like tiny rocks. You must have seen this in your mother inlaws house i am sure.
I also have eyes all over the house here and Tunisia as that is another thing that i grew up with and they also use these in Tunisia .
They also use Garlic around the house and also the seeds of the bread can be sewn into a small shaped pillow that you can pin on you. There is another thing that we do and that is if someone comes to your house and you feel that they have bought bad luck with them as soon as they leave you fill up a bucket with sugar or salt i forgot and just throw it outside your door to get rid of all the bad vibes..
One more thing that i have been bought up with and i noticed that the Tunisians also use is for example if you see a beautiful baby just as an example you do not say something like god she is beautiful you would say she is beautiful mashallah..

We have many here in London like walking under a ladder, the horses shoe is suppose to bring you good luck, do not walk past a black cats path and on and on..

FoxyRoxie89

Hi BM, what about the safety pin thing?
can you explain?
The safety pin should have a evil eye ball on it?

if so then its the saem as what bobbyg says happens in turkey- its to keep evil eyes away!

Aj has one pinned to his pram with a small passage from the Quran book.

lainie

h'm mum just pins plain safety pins on the back of the babies jumpers and on me!
maybe we are too poor in z-town to afford eyes, lol.

FoxyRoxie89

h'm mum just pins plain safety pins on the back of the babies jumpers and on me!
I do find that strange, they are suppose to have the evil eye LOL, if not Im not sure why you would pin a plain one on.

newtosousse

We have that blue eye thing, we have the whole fish not just the fish tail ( they either draw it or make a fish out of silver/gold or any other material) we have Fatma's hand ( or Miriam's hand for Jews)...
I bought a whole fish made out of sisal in Hergla, and it is in my window now, was told it wards off evil.

ROULLA

I am surprised as they normally have an evil eye stuck in the pin.

hopexx

When i used to stay at my mother in laws , on the day we went home when the taxi drove away from my mother in laws house,, she would always throw water on the ground as we drove away.. Her son was in the car with me so it can't be a bad thing like the salt/sugar..

hopexx

Also when i got married and every other wedding i have been to in Tunisia,, the women always wave around a green shiffon scalf.. maybe 4 luck

Aslemma

As this thread is about superstitions as well as traditions I thought I'd just pass this on. Those of you who are familiar with Sousse may have met Little John, a very nice and genuine man of limited stature. We were talking one day over a coffee and he said he was very happy with his life and had no regrets, adding that he was born that way because when his mother was carrying him she passed a similar man. I didn't feel it appropriate to make the obvious comment. :D

Jenny

Fatma's hand is that the same as my husband call "khamsah" (five, not sure about the spelling), it's a hand and women wear it as a berlock in a necklace, and I suppose it's for protection.

FoxyRoxie89

Hope, my MIL always does that to the back of the car too, and at our wedding she went around waving smoke around, also chucks loadsa seeds in aj's pram!

gabriel612

As this thread is about superstitions as well as traditions I thought I'd just pass this on. Those of you who are familiar with Sousse may have met Little John, a very nice and genuine man of limited stature. We were talking one day over a coffee and he said he was very happy with his life and had no regrets, adding that he was born that way because when his mother was carrying him she passed a similar man. I didn't feel it appropriate to make the obvious comment. :D
Heard the same story from my hubby, about a couple of his siblings, I wont go into detail but apparently when she was pregnant she used to see this nice man on the road, who had a certain disability, his mum felt sorry for him and because she thought about him she then had the same problems with his siblings.

NetNiet

Fatma's hand is that the same as my husband call "khamsah" (five, not sure about the spelling), it's a hand and women wear it as a berlock in a necklace, and I suppose it's for protection.
Yes it's for protection, but I think it's called the hand off Fatima.
It was last year also at the Pink Ribbon bracelet!