traditions and superstitions

Nawara

love this threat!

C

Cas

Hope, my MIL always does that to the back of the car too, and at our wedding she went around waving smoke around, also chucks loadsa seeds in aj's pram!
Native North American Indians also wave smouldering sage brushes around, very important part of connecting with the ancestors and cleansing room of evil spirits.
Rabbits feet and cloved hoof lucky in the UK and other Northern European countries.
Lucky heather also.....

newtosousse

Burning Frankincense to clear your house of negative energies,

Essem

Staff member
I've had water thrown on my car when leaving after visiting friends.

Also was told that many Tunisians do not cut their nails at home cos if they do, they won't live there/in that house for long...........

And also bad luck to do your cleaning at night or late evening.

C

Cas

Like the last bit might extend and add my own that it`s bad luck to clean during day time also.....

newtosousse

Also was told that many Tunisians do not cut their nails at home cos if they do, they won't live there/in that house for long...........

Do they do all their nail cutting outside then?:confused:

Essem

Staff member
Think so and I've seen one or two take the nail clippings with them to throw away far from the home!!!

gem15

Looks like i wont be living here for long then cuz my husband cuts his nails at home......i wonder where he will take me!!

Essem

Staff member
Maybe he's not superstitious Gem!

gem15

I hope not...i love my house. LOL

lainie

Think so and I've seen one or two take the nail clippings with them to throw away far from the home!!!
my husband does it outside the house

caveatemptor

And also bad luck to do your cleaning at night or late evening.[/quote]

Mainly because your downstairs neighbour will come up and give you a punch on the nose.

MellieC

isn't it bad luck to get married with an arab in the room?

just a thought! (wink)

K81

Essem, is that we keep moving every two years lol x

tunisien Chicka

it varies from town to town, village to village! but the 5umsa/ Hand of Fatma is to warden off the evil eye. And normally with a safety pin comes a small passage from the Koran or blue eye, again protection from harm! If families come from the smaller villages that are more traditional these superstitions are still followed. But the likes of your larger modern town, these traditions have died away as generations move on and become more modernised.

janette b

we had smoke, scarves being waved etc at our wedding. when we had the 1st floor put on the new house they killed a rabbit(i was very unhappy about this hubby shouted at evryone for doing it) they thought it would bring luck.... his mum throws bread seeds or pepper not sure so does his grandmother when we go back and i think she says something from the loran or a prayer............. we have tiles outside on the patio of fatimas hand also of fish with massive eyes(for luck) and i think we have a frog also ? not sure about that one. when we go anywhere by car his mum throws water on the car as we leave, i think this is meant to protect you ?father in law always buys me a hand of fatima with the eye on when i am leaving tunisia for my bag again i think to protect me...trying to think of anything else..

FoxyRoxie89

we had smoke, scarves being waved etc at our wedding. when we had the 1st floor put on the new house they killed a rabbit(i was very unhappy about this hubby shouted at evryone for doing it) they thought it would bring luck.... his mum throws bread seeds or pepper not sure so does his grandmother when we go back and i think she says something from the loran or a prayer............. we have tiles outside on the patio of fatimas hand also of fish with massive eyes(for luck) and i think we have a frog also ? not sure about that one. when we go anywhere by car his mum throws water on the car as we leave, i think this is meant to protect you ?father in law always buys me a hand of fatima with the eye on when i am leaving tunisia for my bag again i think to protect me...trying to think of anything else..
Yeah I think the water on the car is to protect you, I was told so that you come back fine next time.

gabriel612

Hubby won't let me throw the stale bread in the rubbish, it has to go in a seperate bag and he either puts it around outside or gives it his mum for the chickens. Not seen any of the things mentioned from you all. Except hubby bought me a hand key ring, but I had been pestering for a necklace with a hand. He tells me never to sleep on my back flat or the grim reaper will come for me because he will think I may be dead:eek: I have noticed the hand smears on walls though, he said that is to ward off evil and that it is done in blood....eeewww

tunisien Chicka

thats is beacuse it is from the Qur'an. It's not a superstition! It states in the Qur'an that humans can survive on bread an water alone. therefor Haram (forbidden) to chuck bread in the rubbish or on the street. You will see people pick up a piece of bread if it is on a street or road and place it somewhere higher.