Tunesian diet

ninikins

What is the traditional Tunesian diet like? What is the basic ingredient? Is it rice or bread? Or somethinhg completely different?

pej

Couscous is the Tunisian staple, and bread is served on the side, often with a dish of harissa (minced hot peppers, spices and olive oil) for dipping the bread in. All sorts of fruit and vegetables that are in season are eaten and meats include mutton, goat, turkey, chicken, camel...

ninikins

Sounds like I could find quite some good stuff as a vegetarian there. What is Moroccan bread like?

tater03

Has anyone on here tried camel before? I had no idea that this was eaten. Just curious as to what it is like? Thanks

pej

I have not tried it, but my husband assures me it is good.

tater03

That's kind of funny you should say that because when my husband assures me I will like something you almost can bet that I won't.

Grace 111

I haven't tried it. But being from Minnesota, we have eaten venison, partridge, and bear. I didn't like the bear at all. Venison is delicious when cooked with the right herbs and seasonings.

pej

Well I haven't tried it as there has been no opportunity, but I would not hesitate.

Grace 111

Well it has a strong flavor but I tried several dishes on my trip to India. If I came for a visit there I would love to try the food. Even the spicy ones !

tater03

If it is really strong then I probably wouldn't like it all that much. I have had vensison and some other things. My husband is a hunter but I don't care for the real gamey tasting meat.

toonssia

Also dont forget that tunisian are known as second eater of pasta about 12kg/year/pers!!!!!!!! Guess you are first?
Tunisian diet is based on veg more than meat (not like morrocan)
My mum made me try camel without I knew what it was and I really liked it altough I am not sure I'll eat it again ;-) it isn't strong at all or maybe it depends how it is cooked but it was neither smelly nor "greasy"

pej

Yes when people ask me what you eat in Tunisia I stress the veg and root veg, as is - or at least used to be - a very important staple here in Sweden as well.

tater03

Glad to hear that it isn't a strong or gamey tasting meat. That is where I have a problem with some fish and meat. When it is really strong tasting.

toonssia

Glad to hear that it isn't a strong or gamey tasting meat. That is where I have a problem with some fish and meat. When it is really strong tasting.
Hi!
sorry but as I am not a native english speaker I dont understand "gamey" could you pls help?
Thanks

pej

"game" is the word for meat from animals that aren't domesticated - like deer, boar, moose... and their meat can have a rather strong flavour to it.

Grace 111

They don't call it "game" for nothing. Ha !:) The truth is most of the time we eat it because we have a long winter ahead of us. It's pure survival, of course. The Native American used all of the buffalo in their culture. Nothing went to waste.

pej

Moose and deer are very popular here. Don't forget though that you can go boar-hunting in Tunisia - they are plentiful in some places, as Tunisia is a Muslim country and therefor Tunisians generally don't eat pork. One hotel that is popular with huners, and where they also serve boar, is Hotel Thugga. Mind you, it is a very simple hotel as hunting is really the only thing you do there - unlsess you pass through on a round trip like we did. Here's a link to the hotel: http://hotels-tunisia-en.globalhotelindex.com/teboursouk/200651en.html

Grace 111

That's a just like the hunting society that I came from in Minnesota. We never ate pork either. My Dad shot deer every hunting season. All the men would go hunting and wounldn't shave their beards until they shot a deer. I had two brothers and no sisters so I went along. I learned how to shoot. Boars do sound like they can be hard to catch.

toonssia

Thanks for the explanation! gamey=gibier in french

Grace 111

That's sounds like the perfect word for it. The least strongest flavor is deer. Bear is very harsh flavor. I never liked it at all. I've never tasted moose.