Tunis Air

Trulymadlydeeply

Does anyone know what they class as "essential travel"

As you can fly if essential by FOC rules therefore should be able to get valid insurance.

Scottochott

Does anyone know what they class as "essential travel"

As you can fly if essential by FOC rules therefore should be able to get valid insurance.
The FCO issues "advice" not rules, we are free to travel if we like, it is not a ban. Airlines are also free to offer flights though in practise don't as they too would be uninsured. The 2 most serious stages of advice from the FCO are "advise against all but essential travel" and "advise against all travel". This is what the insurance companies use to refuse cover, and the phrases you need to check in the small print. The annoying thing is they will happily sell you cover, but just refuse to pay out if you try to claim! I believe any travel which is against lower stage advice eg specific areas or towns, would also be used as an excuse to refuse insurance cover.

I don't know of any official definition of essential travel, I think you're expected to make that call yourself. As FCO support is also limited in these circumstances they are also covering themselves if you accuse the consulate of lack of help if you get into any sort of trouble.

The odds are stacked against the independent traveller!

ROULLA

A fairly well known coffee shop was closed down yesterday by the police for being open during Ramadan. I thought it's a bit harsh for those who can't fast/don't want to fast and want to go else where for coffee instead of drinking in front of daily members at home who could be fasting. Apparently coffee shops need permission to be open during the Ramadan month
Hi Gem, hope that you and your family are well! That's ridiculous, I've seen coffee shops open in Hammamet during the month of Ramadan.... what's all that about democracy then?

gem15

Hi Gem, hope that you and your family are well! That's ridiculous, I've seen coffee shops open in Hammamet during the month of Ramadan.... what's all that about democracy then?
We're good thanks, hope you and yours are too.

It's up to the individual if they want to fast or not and some people can't fast. I guess coffee shops should get the right licence if they want to open.

ROULLA

It's up to the individual if they want to fast or not and some people can't fast. I guess coffee shops should get the right licence if they want to open.
Hi Gem, we are all okay, thank you!
I agree, people should be able to get a licence. For those that haven't visited Tunisia during Ramadan it can get pretty boring during the day. However, in Nabeul it's full of life at night.. Most cafes have singer's and the place is buzzing. Are you open during the evening? :)

Scottochott

Same in Sousse, days are quiet, nights are crazy! Love all the beach restaurants, shame they're not around more of the time. Music everywhere and atmosphere great. It's difficult when Ramadan falls at this time of year though, the party starts late, I honestly don't know how people hold down a job which for most starts at 8am!

ROULLA

Whilst in Tunisia during Ramadan in Sousse, I found it to be much more quiet during the evening's compared to Nabeul.

Scottochott

Whilst in Tunisia during Ramadan in Sousse, I found it to be much more quiet during the evening's compared to Nabeul.
Not this year that's for sure, lol!

ROULLA

What's it like during the evening's where you are Gem?

Aslemma

Good evening Roulla. I know that people who are ill are not expected to fast, but that can cause other problems. In the culture, as with some others, there are certain conditions which are not discussed publicly, so this can lead to a conflict between appearing as a bad moslem by not fasting or telling people why you can't, which is simply not done. I once knew a Moroccan lady who had this dilemma following a colostomy.

gem15

I can't say I've been out at night this Ramadan due to the little people so not sure what's its like. I do know our place is heaving as we speak as I can see on the cameras. My husband doesn't get home until 3ish when people leave.

Sousse used to be really busy during Ramadan a few years back but it's got quieter earlier all depending on when they eat breakfast.

ROULLA

Good evening Roulla. I know that people who are ill are not expected to fast, but that can cause other problems. In the culture, as with some others, there are certain conditions which are not discussed publicly, so this can lead to a conflict between appearing as a bad moslem by not fasting or telling people why you can't, which is simply not done. I once knew a Moroccan lady who had this dilemma following a colostomy.
Good evening Aslemma, you are correct, in fact even women who are on their monthly cycle are also except and in general are supposed to make the day's up. It is really sad when people who cannot fast because they are sick feel embarrassed. I saw an old Tunisian man the other day who has diabetes and he was having a coffee, when he saw me it was obvious that he felt embarrassed. We had a little chat and I told him that he shouldn't feel embarrassed and shouldn't give a damm as to what people think.
My son is definitely except, yet he refuses to listen. Today I received a call from the doctor and they said that his Ferritin levels are extremely low. Over the weekend or next week he will have another ferritin intravenous infusion.

ROULLA

I can't say I've been out at night this Ramadan due to the little people so not sure what's its like. I do know our place is heaving as we speak as I can see on the cameras. My husband doesn't get home until 3ish when people leave.

Sousse used to be really busy during Ramadan a few years back but it's got quieter earlier all depending on when they eat breakfast.
That's funny, the little people :)
Yes I agree Gem, it's much quieter. The coffee shops in Nabeul are open to 5am and I've seen them practically throw people out as they won't leave. Never mind Gem, they grow really fast and you got year's ahead of you ;) plus your still look young X X

Selmi

Have you looked at Lufthansa via Frankfurt, times no good for me but might work for you? Also look for a flight to Lyon, from there you can get to Monastir with Tunisair. Only problem with these options is travel insurance, that's where Air France wins.
Will checK them out, thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

ROULLA

WELCOME TO A WORLD OF BENEFITS

Fidelys is the Tunisair loyalty program designed around our frequent flyers and tailored to their travel expectations and preferences.
Being a Fidelys member, you are immediately identified as a favoured, privileged customer.

• The possibility of consuming your Miles as soon as your first flight is credited in your account;
  • A baggage allowance of a piece of 32 kg instead of the piece weight allocated on your ticket
  • Third priority on the waiting list at the airport;
  • Priority baggage delivery, if you attach your Fidelys Luggage Tag;
  • The ability to purchase an Award Ticket by converting Miles. This operation depends on seat availability and must be made no less than seven (07) days prior to the scheduled departure.
The Fidelys Silver Card (2nd level granted Card) offers you :

• Check-in at Tunisair Business class counters in Tunisia as well as abroad which makes you feel at ease and save time;
  • An additional baggage allowance of a piece of 23 kg
  • Second priority on the waiting list at the airport;
  • An invitation to the Business Class Lounge « Salon Privilège » at Tunis-Carthage airport, assuring you comfort in a very refined setting;
  • A 25% extra Award Miles in addition to the Qualifying Miles earned thanks to the recording of your flights;
  • Privilege to maintain the Silver Status for a second year with a balance of « Status Miles » or « Qualifying flights » (OW) reduced in comparison to the first year’s upgrading conditions;
  • The ability to purchase an Award Ticket by converting Miles. This operation depends on seat availability and must be made no less than three (03) days prior to the scheduled departure.

The Fidelys Gold Card ( 3rd level granted Card) offers you :

• Check-in at Tunisair Business class counters in Tunisia as well as abroad which makes you feel at ease and save time;
  • An additional baggage allowance of a piece of 32 kg
  • First priority on the waiting list at the airport;
  • A free invitation, for you and any travelling companion of your choice, to the Business Class Lounges in all Tunisia and abroad airports that are served by Tunisair;
  • An offer of a “Fast Truck" access card for a quick passage to police control at Tunis-Carthage airport. The access card is provided at registration.
  • A 50% extra Award Miles apart from the Qualifying Miles earned thanks to the recording of your flights;
  • The privilege to maintain the Gold Status for second year with a balance of « Qualifying / Status Miles » or « Qualifying / Status flights » (OW), reduced in comparison to the first year’s upgrading conditions;
  • The ability to purchase an Award Ticket at any time by converting Miles. This operation depends on seat availability.

Selmi

Will checK them out, thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Just been on Thomas Cook,taking bookings for September flying from Gatwick with novelair AI packages !!

ROULLA

Just been on Thomas Cook,taking bookings for September flying from Gatwick with novelair AI packages !!
Hi Semi, hope that you are well! Last time I checked it, it said that Thomas Cook will resume there flights on the 24 May 2017.

Scottochott

Just had a look, I can't see anything available, are you sure you searched 2016, not 2017? If you can find anything please copy the link I'm sure there would be plenty of takers!

Selmi

Just had a look, I can't see anything available, are you sure you searched 2016, not 2017? If you can find anything please copy the link I'm sure there would be plenty of takers!
Hi.just double checked, thomascook.com any airport, any destination, sorry guys it's September 2017 ! With Novalair