Tunisia music

ROULLA

Just found this on youtube:)
Wow I have not heard this for years, it is a very famous song and I do love it to be honest with you, it reminds me of the Tunisia that was very different from now.
Brilliant song

Burton

Wow I have not heard this for years, it is a very famous song and I do love it to be honest with you, it reminds me of the Tunisia that was very different from now.
Brilliant song
I didn't know it was a famous song Roulla, but me too it reminds me of Tunisia! I can listen to it over and again :)

rabah

I didn't know it was a famous song Roulla, but me too it reminds me of Tunisia! I can listen to it over and again :)
The song is about Um Ezzine Aljammalia who is said to be a descendant of the 3rd muslim Kalifa Uthman (Alayhi Essalem). Her mausoleum is in Jammal; a town near Monastir. Aljammalia is in reference to her being from Jammal. She and other lady saints, the likes of Rabia Adaouia in Egypt and Saida Manoubia in Manouba,Tunisia are said to have had a great influence on Sufism.
It is a song for many occasions, religious, weddings, and other ceremonies and it is sung with music and drum as well as with drum alone in what's known as a Hadhra; a Sufi style ceremony of joy and gratitude which, in the heydays of Tunisia, used to be held at the closure of the harvest season.
There are several renditions of this song but the one you listed is a favorite. Thanks for sharing and for a great choice Burton.

Burton

Thanks Rabah, how interesting to know what this song is about.

Burton

Rabah, is there any chance you can translate some of the actual words of the song for me? just the first few words or sentences if possible. Thank you.

ROULLA

Rabah, is there any chance you can translate some of the actual words of the song for me? just the first few words or sentences if possible. Thank you.
Hi Burton hope that you are well!

This group is called Ouled Jouini that sing this song but I am sure that it is a mixed cocktail.

There music is always played at weddings

Here are a few more from the group for those that would like to listen.

Last edited:

Burton

Hi Roulla, I am well thanks, hope you and family are well too. Wow thanks for the video and the song. I don't know why but I love this song soooo much, it reminds me of Tunisia in every way. Fantastic!:)

Burton

:)

rabah

Rabah, is there any chance you can translate some of the actual words of the song for me? just the first few words or sentences if possible. Thank you.[/quoteHi Burton, I am sorry I didn't see you request earlier, of course, I will post the translation soon.

rabah

Hello there Burton and all interested in this beautiful Tunisian song.
Below are the first few lines from the song. The couple of lines in the beginning are sung solo and are typical of traditional Tunisian folklore. It is called a "matlaa" or beginning. The matlaa generally comes from a poem whose theme is similar to that of the song. The song proper is then sung by a small orchestra thereafter. I am including the Arabic words so you can hum along and I hope I am doing a little justice to this song.
I don't use numerals, I don't like using them. The elongated sounds/vowels are marked with ":". Enjoy!!!
Kullu elkulu:be Lilhabibi tami:lu: (2)
wadami bethelika sha:hidun wadali:lu:
The hearts long for the beloved
and my tears are witness and proof
Amma eddali:lu itha thakerta Mohammada: (2)
dumu ala:shike:na tesi:lu
The proof when Mohamed's mentioned
tears from all his adorers flow.
Ya Lilla: Mraedth aale:k nloom (2)
Na:du, ala om Ezeen
Oh my lady, I feel down and you're to blame
call on om Ezeen (call her for me)
Ya Lilla: Jeina:k elli:la, fi li:lit jimaa wifthi:la (2)
O my lady, we came to visit with you on a the eve of a blessed Friday
Ya Om Zin waeli:k Laame:la, wahther ya bnayyit Jammal
Om Zeen, I rely on you, be present o you native of Jammal.
Ya Lilla: aah ya bohlea, ya: thaou aaynayya
Oh, my lady, you the blessed, you're my guide
Ya Lilla, witnu:b allaya: Naadu ala Om Ezeen
Oh my lady, be generous with me, oh call on Om Ezeen.
Billah y a ti:r lahma:m ti:r ualli hallawha:m (2)
Oh you dove, please do fly over and high
aalbayya rud essala:m wahdthar ya bnayyit Jammal.
say hello to the honorable lady. Oh do show up, you native of Jammal.

ROULLA

Kullu elkulu:be Lilhabibi tami:lu: (2)
wadami bethelika sha:hidun wadali:lu:
The hearts long for the beloved
and my tears are witness and proof
Amma eddali:lu itha thakerta Mohammada: (2)
dumu ala:shike:na tesi:lu
The proof when Mohamed's mentioned
tears from all his adorers flow.
Ya Lilla: Mraedth aale:k nloom (2)
Na:du, ala om Ezeen
Oh my lady, I feel down and you're to blame
call on om Ezeen (call her for me)
Ya Lilla: Jeina:k elli:la, fi li:lit jimaa wifthi:la (2)
O my lady, we came to visit with you on a the eve of a blessed Friday
Ya Om Zin waeli:k Laame:la, wahther ya bnayyit Jammal
Om Zeen, I rely on you, be present o you native of Jammal.
Ya Lilla: aah ya bohlea, ya: thaou aaynayya
Oh, my lady, you the blessed, you're my guide
Ya Lilla, witnu:b allaya: Naadu ala Om Ezeen
Oh my lady, be generous with me, oh call on Om Ezeen.
Billah y a ti:r lahma:m ti:r ualli hallawha:m (2)
Oh you dove, please do fly over and high
aalbayya rud essala:m wahdthar ya bnayyit Jammal.
say hello to the honorable lady. Oh do show up, you native of Jammal.
Yatik saha, ya marlem:)

Burton

Thank you so much Rabah for taking the time to translate, and explaining everything, absolutely beautiful! and yes now I can hum along with this knowledge. Cheers:)

Burton

Love this Arabic song beautiful! :)

Essem

Staff member

Jillimom

^^Essem thank you for posting that video! It had our whole family laughing so hard. :D

Essem

Staff member
Hi Jillimom

You're welcome - I thought it would bring more than a smile to many faces.

Have you seen the letter that Amer Zahr wrote to George Clooney on his recent engagement? It's a must read - hysterical but true :)

ROULLA

Hi Jillimom

You're welcome - I thought it would bring more than a smile to many faces.

Have you seen the letter that Amer Zahr wrote to George Clooney on his recent engagement? It's a must read - hysterical but true :)
Hi Essem, hope that you are well! I read the one that he wrote to Obama;)