Tunisian - African or Arab?

SilverMoonlight

god bless you, i love ur photos. Well done luv

Oh thanks a lot maximos!!!

I really liked what you said about Tunisians. I am mediterranean too and this I believe make people see the bright side of life, despite the difficulties we face every day.

The sun will always shine here!!!! So smile!!! :)

africanlilly

gosh, white anglo saxon? actually not surprised with some clever 'americans' i think bush was asked in an interview where a particular country was, (i cant remember which) and he didnt have a clue..

Now talking about administration and forms....

I wonder what box tunisians would tick in the UK when it asks about ethnicity, i guess they can choose african or arab...?
alot of forms I have seen say "Black african" but not just african , and I dont think I have seen one saying arab lol

not sure if the black african things is cos many english presume all africans are black lol

feefad

Hubby always ticks other as there isn't really a box that applies to them. Would be interesting to know how many people have to tick the other box due to the generalisation of the categories.

africanlilly

one thing that did make me laugh was when my husband first came to this county and we went to buy my first Akita puppy, the guy selling them said to my husband as he got out of the car
are you a paki? my mouth open and my jaw hit the ground, I for once was gob smacked. however my husband was standing there confused! he asked the guy what a paki was, I laughed my head off and said to the guy no he aint a paki, hes from Africa. out of curiousity I asked why did it matter if he was a from pakistan. the guy told me many Pakis in the area fight dogs and he didnt want any of his puppies going to be used for fighting.
I explained to him my laughter was because of how he asked him and my husbands reaction to his question. I did say it would have been very awkward if my husband had of been from pakistan,as I am sure a pakistani would have been angry about him being racist in that way, mind you the guy was huge, I dont think I would have like to stand against him unless I had a black belt in karate or something!

my husband was also stopped and searched by the police as he was driving around london centre, on the sheet they gave him, they had classified him as a pakistani too!
what gets me is I dont think he looks pakistani.but obviously others want to place gim in that box! lol

feefad

it's a naivety in the uk where anyone with a slight colouring is branded as being pakistani. I think some people are so uneducated that they don't realise pakistan is just one country in asia and people with this colouring could be from anywhere. You wonder how the police can get away with branding people like that tho.

maximos

I did

Hubby always ticks other as there isn't really a box that applies to them. Would be interesting to know how many people have to tick the other box due to the generalisation of the categories.
I stopped buy the police 4 speeding.the " other " box was ticking.
the funny thing though, in my 20 years driving, that was the first and maybe the only time i sped . lucky me hi !

feefad

or the only time you got caught?? ;)

africanlilly

i loved watching sinbad movies as a child!

lapinos

My husband becomes very upset if you suggest he's an arab. Like one of the previous posters he considers arabs to be from Egypt and the Gulf. He says he is Tunisia and Tunisians are the people of the Mahgreb although interestingly, he says that Tunisians from the south who are black, are African. So with him, it seems to be determined by colour i.e. Black is African, paler skin is Mahgreb but definitely not African. ;)

BRISASSS

Hi ,they tunisians i know call themselves mediterranean...xxx

SilverMoonlight

Hi ,they tunisians i know call themselves mediterranean...xxx

Whatever they choose, seems to be so wonderful.
Arabs, africans berbers, mediterranean, all these conclude so many wonderful characteristics.

sianperkins89

there is the common preconception that african means black, that isnt the case...coz there are even different races among black africans, for example..ethiopians do not look the same and are not from the 'same race' as people from ghana, for instance...
i would say that tunisians are arabs, africans and also mediteranians. neither one nor the other ;)

sianperkins89

oh yeah and berber too :)

Janan

Banned
they are arabs as they speak Arabic - not difficult

and also africans as they live in Africa, but they are not black africans

newtosousse

I think there are Black Tunisians in Djerba and Gabes.

Janan

Banned
yes, might be, I have seen some also in north, Tabarka, but only few families, some working as animators

ROULLA

All Tunisians will first say they are Arab, no doubt about that.

Hi hope that you are in good health! You say that all Tunisians say that they are Arabs , well if you was to ask my husband he would say Tunisian or North African.. He does not like to be referred to as an Arab:)

DebbieZebbes

Surely you're African if you are of African descent?
Which part of Africa do they think that Africans come from then, there is no country called Africa. Their nationality is Tunisian, their ethnicity is African.

hi all , welll this is a very intrestin topic as i have aske dmy hubby this question and he said he is a tunisian,african and a arab what a funny man he is but then it is like me i coem from zimbabwe africa and people call me southafrican but im not southafrican w emay be in the same continent and we are african but there is a big difference between zimbabweans and southafricans.. hope all is well ...