Tunisian - African or Arab?

Janan

Banned
yeah, I asked one language expert, and he said it is becasue of language - they are called arabs - coming from Arabic speaking countries.

happytunisian

well put it this way! we are berber, arab, african and we r definitely muslim!! and as everybody who is born in tunisia i couldn't be prouder!!! and i thank god for being a *****TUNISIAN*****!!!

Soltef

Surely you're African if you are of African descent?
Which part of Africa do they think that Africans come from then, there is no country called Africa. Their nationality is Tunisian, their ethnicity is African.

Correctomundo!!

MellieC

North Africans. also Arabs.

Tunisia is on the continent of Africa. It is separated from the Arab World (Middle East) by SEA, but it on the contient of Africa, surely that makes them African, not Arabian?? I mean, surely?? Lol.

MellieC

Tunisia is on the continent of Africa. It is separated from the Arab World (Middle East) by SEA, but it on the contient of Africa, surely that makes them African, not Arabian?? I mean, surely?? Lol.

yes African, but NORTH African

Tunisia (and the rest of the Maghreb region) is defined as being NORTH AFRICA, as opposed to "Africa" or "South Africa"

So by location they are "north africans", by nationality they are Tunisians, by religion they are Muslim, by "general" appearance and religious/cultural/dress ways they are Arab (North African Arabs ~ as you say arabians seperated by sea.

In the same way that those of us on the forum who are Brits ~ by Location we are British, but by nationality we are either English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, if you call it the UK. by religion we are mostly (but not exclusively) Christian, either protestant or Catholic by "general" appearance we are "anglo saxon" we don't have a specific dress code that is attached to our culture or religion, but you can always spot the jock by the kilt lol

yes African, but NORTH African

Tunisia (and the rest of the Maghreb region) is defined as being NORTH AFRICA, as opposed to "Africa" or "South Africa"

So by location they are "north africans", by nationality they are Tunisians, by religion they are Muslim, by "general" appearance and religious/cultural/dress ways they are Arab (North African Arabs ~ as you say arabians seperated by sea.

In the same way that those of us on the forum who are Brits ~ by Location we are British, but by nationality we are either English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, if you call it the UK. by religion we are mostly (but not exclusively) Christian, either protestant or Catholic by "general" appearance we are "anglo saxon" we don't have a specific dress code that is attached to our culture or religion, but you can always spot the jock by the kilt lol

Yeah, but South Africa is still Africa. Lol.
For instance, I do not see how islands (like England) can belong to a continent, considering they are separated from "their" contient by sea.
I am English, not European, for ^^that^^ reason.
Tunisians belong to the contient of Africa. That makes them AFRICAN. :)
They only look Arab/Mediterrean because of their geographic location, not neccessarily because they are closer to Arabs in blood.
The future south of North Africa you go, the darker people get.

C

Cas

Mels definition is geographically, politically, and ethnically correct.

crazypink

Hubby says he is arabic. Or muslim arabic. I agree with Mel on this one.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

MellieC

Hubby says he is arabic. Or muslim arabic. I agree with Mel on this one.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

thanks hun,

tunisians are North African Arabs. and moslem by religion.

collectively Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Mauritania is the "Maghreb" Region, so another name can also be maghrebi's!

Black Mamba

Meh eventhough my family comes from Lebanon and traces back to Fatima the daughter of Muahmmad, I don't feel Arab, more like Mediterenian!

MellieC

Meh eventhough my family comes from Lebanon and traces back to Fatima the daughter of Muahmmad, I don't feel Arab, more like Mediterenian!

you are just bleeding awkward LOL

I can understand you not feeling "arab" ~ arabia is "over there" to you lol

same as im NOT European, Europe is over there.

Black Mamba

What's funny is people calling themselves Arabs when they come from the Berber areas LOL

MellieC

lol yes, i wonder if some know the distinctions?
sometimes its us that know more than them as we bother to find out about them more than they ever do about us for sure LOL

they rely on the freinds freinds..... to tell them about brits/europeans/US/Can/Aus etc lol

If a dog was born in a barn, you wouldn't call it a horse. Lol.
Tunisia is on the continent of Africa. That makes them African. Geographically, they are on the continent of Africa, but, being on the Mediterrean, they look Mediterrean.

Considering the coast of Tunisia is on the Med, yet is on the continent of Africa, I think we can safely assume they are Mediterrean-African, rather then Arab.

Black Mamba

What are we doing in the Arab League then? LOL

MahboulaGirl

You're just mixed that's all!! hehehe :p