Tunisian Culture, what shocked you ?

ROULLA

Hi Everyone, Hope that you are all well!
I think that it's really important that people know what they are letting themselves in for before marrying....

I've read so many stories where people get shocked at the culture.
My parents are Greek, so I also grew up in a Greek cultural world where so many things back then were forbidden.

I have never been shocked with the things that they did in Tunisia as I could relate to some of them..... Tell a lie, someone told me that they had been asked to eat the skin of their child's circumstition,,,,,,,,YUK I SAID
Another thing that shocked me over 30 years ago was when I was invited to my first wedding and they had what I can only descibe as scaffolding where the bride was sitting, swinging her fan backwards and forwards with a ghostly painted face like she had yellow jaundice...No offence.
The music was fantastic as I love Arabic music , but I couldn't understand why the bride didn't really dance... I now know it's because her dressed weighed a tone .

I have always had respect for my eldest and have always worn a jebba (long traditional dress) when visiting old people.. I don't like smoking in front of them and I try and help them in anyway that I can...
Is there anything that shocked you whilst in Tunisia????? I'd love to hear your stories
What is it that you find weird?

Moonsky

Marrying cousins....

Rosewater

me that they had been asked to eat the skin of their child's circumstition
WTF dude? never heard of that!!!! we don't eat it!!!

ROULLA

Marrying cousins....
Hi Moonsky, welcome to the forum!
I must admit I do find this I won't lie... They do like to keep everything in the family. I personally don't think it's morally right, but this is my opinion and I feel strongly about this. However, this happens in a vast majority of countries where they see this as normal..
I don't remember what they were called but they were quite famous and were always on the TV. They only lived up the road from me, you may know who I'm talking about. One of the brothers died a few years back.
2 sister's married to 2 brothers and they were English. There getting on a bit now

ROULLA

WTF dude? never heard of that!!!! we don't eat it!!!
Hi Rosewater and welcome to the forum!
Can you refrain from using inappropriate language, thank you.
I find it really strange. Remember this was in a village.
Where are you originally from?, if you don't mind me asking.

Rosewater

Hi Rosewater and welcome to the forum! Can we please not use inappropriate language, thank you.
I find it really strange. Remember this was in a village.
Where are you originally from?, if you don't mind me asking.
sorry
i am from the north ( tunis )

ROULLA

sorry
i am from the north ( tunis )
No problem. I have been to Tunis many times over the years but Sidi Bosaid is my favourite.. Monflerry is not too bad either but Hyde cabaria , well let's just say that you need eyes at the back of your head.

Jasmine

Some of their old wives tales are rather interesting...

Walking on cold floors = gas
where sperm comes from - those from 2008/2009 will know what I mean :D

ROULLA

Some of their old wives tales are rather interesting...

Walking on cold floors = gas
where sperm comes from - those from 2008/2009 will know what I mean :D
I remember that like yesterday..hahaha
Just tried to find that thread but can't..chit chat about anything thread.

Jasmine

I would imagine its here somewhere Roulla. It caused a great deal of giggles at the time, and I still chuckle about it now :D

ROULLA

Lovinglife

We have ppl on my Rez dating cousin and have kids too with there cousins. live there life's like a gypsy

Jillimom

Great idea for a thread, Roulla. It is important that people marrying their Tunisian "other halves" understand what they may be in for!

I have a few things that shocked me. I have been living here for 10 years now so nothing really shocks me anymore :cool: but these were from my first visit here in 2001:

seeing someone give a 9-month old soda in his bottle
seeing a relative wash a whole chicken using laundry detergent
seeing a three year old with completely black teeth from eating sugar all the time
seeing a woman slap the crap out of her small child in the street
seeing all the young men in the coffees and on the streets in the middle of the day

And the one that has never changed in all 10 years I have been here - the GARBAGE everywhere and the people who constantly throw it on the street who then turn around and complain about how dirty Tunis is. Ugh. :banghead:

ROULLA

Hi Jillimon Hope that you and your family are all well!
The chicken one was the best , but having said that I actually know someone here who washes her chicken with fairy liquid then once rinsed she washes it down with lemon.
As for the garbage, well I've seen them throw their left over food straight in the bins without at least placing it in a bag... I cannot describe the smell from the bins in Nabeul but can say that once the smell hits your nostrils it's intoxicating.
I've even seen an old lady pick up a dried doughnut shaped dung from a horse and sling it away from my front door,,,,,,then she went to shake my hand and kiss me,,,yukkkkkkkkkk
My husband laughs about all of this and says that it will never change.. such a shame

Trulymadlydeeply

Sperm from the knees is the funniest.
Farting for not wearing schlekers *spelling
Funny sayings that they have that get completely lost in translation.. :)

When I got married had one of his female cousins giving me the evil eye all day as she wanted to marry him!! Should've let her :p

gem15

For me it has to be the staying at home for 40 days after giving birth....it would drive me insane and the wrapping up of kids with the thickest blankets even in the summer.